Thread: Silvia Issues - Pour too fast.

Silvia Issues - Pour too fast.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Recently I took the shower head off my silvia to give it a bit of a good old clean. The shower head was REALLY gunked up, and it took some effort with a toothbrush to clean.

However, since replacing the shower head, my pour rate has dropped no matter the grind setting, Ive even tried up to 18 on my Sunbeam grinder (I used to have it on 8-9). One thing that I think may be causing the problem, is that the showerhead could be drilling a bit of a hole in the puck, creating an easy channel for the espresso.

I have also just switched to a LM Double Basket + Pullman Tamper, but I wouldnt think they would be causing issues, right?

Please help, I miss my 25-30 second pour rate :(.

Thank you.

Re: Silvia Issues - Pour too fast.

by any chance did you strip down and clean your grinder at the same time and is it the EM0480.If so have a search through the threads on this site.Same problem happened to my in laws with their grinder,the top burr has a design fault whereby it can protrude from its plastic housing or to the other extreme it can be pressed too far in,either way you can get to both ends of the grind spectrum...............................solutions in other threads are to place gaskets to achieve the right positioning............

Donald

a gushing pour is a fair indication that your grind is not fine enough [assuming your dose & tamp etc is consistant].,,,,as beammeupscotty suggests the problem is likely in your grinder/grind settings.

I have the same grinder as you and offer the following suggestions:

1. The lower the number, the finer the grind...you need to go lower.
    Assuming you havent dismantled the grinder try starting around your normal setting [8-9] and then going lower.

2. If you have removed the collar and upper burr for maintanence, it is critical that the upper burr is placed back correctly. The instructuons in the manual are a little vague on this and I suspect much of the reported problems with the EM0480 relate to INCORRECT re assembledge.
    If you look closely at the inside of the collar you will see two marked arrows 180DEG apart. If you look closely at the upper burr there will also be a marked arrow. The U-burr must be fitted AFTER the collar is back in place, when you insert the U-burr you need to line its arrow it up with either arrow on the collar [I use the collar arrow nearer to the switch, for me it gives an espresso grind range of 12-15]. At this point I just push it firmly down, if it does not sit well, double check the lower burrs are clear any excess grinds as these can affect the seating.

3. If the realignment does not work, maybe there is a problem, so start digging through the wealth of information within this site.

good luck.

Donald, pretty much anything you change when making your shots will need an adjustment to the grinder. The new tamper would need to be adjusted for, the new basket as well, also an adjustment for cleaning a clogged shower screen. Put all three of them together..... Grind also needs to be adjusted for weather changes, different beans, different ages of beans etc, etc.

Just make the grind finer a bit at a time until your shots come together again. :)

Hi Donald,

Assuming that you are using freshly roasted beans,....

In addition to the comments from other CSs covering possible issues with your grinder, which sounds the most likely cause, I suggest that;

Pullman tamper - agree should not cause this problem,
    LM basket - is a bit bigger, so holds more, and needs more, and if grind size is same, then should pour a bit slower, with Rocky grinder we would typically expect to go one notch courser grind when going to the bigger double basket, (generally standard Silvia double basket nominally 14g, actually works best when updosed to around 16-18g, the LM basket works best when updosed to around 19-21g),
    Dirty showerscreen - sounds like you would benefit from a chemical backflush and thorough clean with espresso machine cleaner, can get it from site sponsors, and the procedure is available if you google it,
    Drilling hole in the puck - it is normally expected to see a clear imprint of the screw head in the puck, this is not a problem, however see next point just in case,
    Last thing, - there is, or should be, a dispersion washer between the showerscreen and the grouphead, suggest you check it is still there, (if not coffeeparts have them).

Regards
    Bullitt

Re: Silvia Issues - Crema

Hi Silvias,

I would like to get a better crema from my Slivia.

I have tried different depths of roast, different levels of grind and tamping around the 12kg mark.

If I grind too fine the pour is too slow and there is no crema but even with a not-so-fine grind the crema is still very flat.

My Silvia is two weeks old (not a cleaning issue) and the coffee tastes great but Im missing the "icing on the cake" when it comes to a quality crema.

Any hints?

Thanks,
    Mick

TC

Quote Originally Posted by redeyegreeneye link=1174256546/0#5 date=1174272194
    Hi Silvias,

I would like to get a better crema from my Slivia.

I have tried different depths of roast, different levels of grind and tamping around the 12kg mark.

If I grind too fine the pour is too slow and there is no crema but even with a not-so-fine grind the crema is still very flat.

My Silvia is two weeks old (not a cleaning issue) and the coffee tastes great but Im missing the "icing on the cake" when it comes to a quality crema.

Any hints?

Thanks,
    Mick
    Hi Mick, I think that the grinder is the weak part of the equation for you. Nevertheless, I suggest the usual Silvia mantra:

Use- deep baskets, good dose (avoid wet pucks), fresh coffee and adjust your grind to get no more than 25 ml or so in a 25 second pour....After that, training and palate work!!! *;)

your beans are cactus..............Id go and buy some beans from a respected cafe that have fresh beans,just to establish a benchmark.
    Silvia is capable of producing bucketloads (slight exageration I know) of crema with fresh beans / tuned in grind............

Thanks 2muchcoffeeman,

My EM0480 is also only two weeks old.

The grind at setting 10 will produce a different result on a City roasted bean compared to an Italian roasted bean at the same grind setting.

If you can provide a little science on the grinders grind results I would be very grindful to you.

Thanks,
    Mick

TC

Yes Mick- we all experience that. You will also notice that fresh v less fresh commercial will cause grind setting variations. Then, throw in a little humidity variation, and things become more challenging.

The issue with the Sunbeam grinder is biggish steps. This can mean that a 1 notch adjustment on the same dose technique will produce the difference between a too fast and too slow pour.

You might have a look at my Giotto brew techniques up in the sticky thread area. You will need to change the dose technique though due to the low shower screen on the Silvia. Id suggest something like overfill, moderate bench tap 3 times, brush off to level and tamp. If the pucks are still soft, you need to get more coffee in there...Also, grind size will have an effect on the density of the puck.

Hope this helps...

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by beanmeupScotty link=1174256546/0#7 date=1174276497
    your beans are cactus
    Thanks BeanmeupScotty,

I have sourced my beans from CoffeeSnobs.

I get an excellent crema with the same bean using a domestic Breville machine (that is now my emergency backup machine).

I am disappointed that I have to mastered the crema on my Silvia.

Any other tips?

Thanks,
    Mick

TC

Mick- the crema observed with the breville will be due to the pressurised portafilter....

They make "crema" out of tanbark compost! ;D....Training! ;)

Hi 2mcm,

Surely the tips on techniques to test covered on CoffeeSnobs would be more than enough?

(Do you have a url for your Giotto brew techniques?)

Thanks,
    Mick

TC

Quote Originally Posted by redeyegreeneye link=1174256546/0#12 date=1174283160
    Hi 2mcm,

Surely the tips on techniques to test covered on CoffeeSnobs would be more than enough?

(Do you have a url for your Giotto brew techniques?)

Thanks,
    Mick
    Huh?? *searches for interpreter *:-?;)*
    have a look here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1167622442

Hi Chris,

My reference to knowledge on "tips on techniques to test covered on CoffeeSnobs" was counter to your "....Training!".

No worries.

Checked your post on Giotto brew techniques and appreciate the advice.

I will continue to work on getting that repeatable process.

I look forward to reporting my successes : )

Thanks,
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Donald link=1174256546/0#0 date=1174256546
    Recently I took the shower head off my silvia to give it a bit of a good old clean. The shower head was REALLY gunked up, and it took some effort with a toothbrush to clean.

However, since replacing the shower head, my pour rate has dropped no matter the grind setting, Ive even tried up to 18 on my Sunbeam grinder (I used to have it on 8-9). One thing that I think may be causing the problem, is that the showerhead could be drilling a bit of a hole in the puck, creating an easy channel for the espresso.

I have also just switched to a LM Double Basket + Pullman Tamper, but I wouldnt think they would be causing issues, right?

Please help, I miss my 25-30 second pour rate :(.

Thank you.
    Haha, turns out I was turning the grinder the wrong way. Silly me. Crisis avoided.

Nice to know it was an easily solved problem, Donald. I would occasionally turn the grind adjustment collar the wrong way when I had the em0480 as well. The Mazzer turns in the opposite direction - left for coarser, right for finer. For me it feels much more natural.

Donald; a number of people have indicated theyve had to adjust the grind coarser with a new tamper on account of the tamp being more even with a fitted tamper. You may find the same.

Just come back from a long weekend away with the pre ground coffee in its plastic bag left out in the kitchen while we were away. I used the coffee on Friday and all was good. I fired up the Silvia last night and used the coffee and it flowed really fast. 20 seconds produced about a third of a cup with little or no crema. I tried again and the same thing happened. Opened a fresh bag of pre ground and it was back to normal with good crema. From now on Ill put the pre ground into a vacuum sealed jar.
    I know I am breaking the CS law by not using a $500++ grinder but I find the pre ground to work very well for me.

hutch, before I bought a grinder to use at work, I used to pre-grind with my Macap before leaving home.

I distinctly remeber one day when I had enough left over to make a double shot when I got home that afternoon.

The pour ran so thin and fast I just threw it in the sink.

It depends on your standards.
    Mine have been raised.

I remember when I first got Silvia with a good tamper and grinder, did my usual tamp as hard as I can tamp (thanks to my sunbeam machine and bodum grinder..) and clogged the machine not once or twice, but 3 times trying to get the grind and tamp even remotely right

as Chris and pretty well everyone else says, if you underdose by accident, youll get a fast pour no matter how much you tamp, been there had that

With my Rocky grinder and a 14 gram basket I find that 2 slightly heaped spoons of whole beans is about right to get a nice consistent shot, grind adjustments for different beans are almost mandatory from what I have experienced

persevere, if your beans are not fresh you will suffer, try some beanbay beans if you already havnt and reap the rewards, money to a good cause and waaaay cheaper than any coffee shop ive ever been to :)