Thread: Silvia PID fitting service

TC

Silvia PID fitting service

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

After some discussions with Jim, We are looking at ways to have at least one sponsor offer CSers brand new Silvias with PID, ready to switch on and go...The bonus is full warranty support for both machine an PID as well as somebody to spend the couple of hours doing the job for those not keen to do it...

We are just hoping to gauge interest at this stage...Would you want one?

Chris

Blog Entries

Re: EOI- New Silvias with PID

Interesting idea Chris.

Im sure there are a few members that would love a PIDd Silvia but are worried about tinkering. Keeping the whole package under a single warranty is an added bonus.

I look forward to seeing what you and Jim come up with and the reaction from the members.

Nice.

cas

Hi Chris

Ive been thinking about that sort of set-up so Id certainly be interested in hearing more.

Ben

Me too Chris..... Id like an idea of cost please........ Ray.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Ray C link=1179274773/0#3 date=1179281724
    Me too Chris..... Id like an idea of cost please........ * *Ray.
    Thanks for the interest Ray. Its early days and PID Silvias are at least a few weeks off yet. All will be revealed soon....

Chris

Id also might be interested Chris. Ive been toying with the idea of a PID Silvia for a while now.

Ramon

Id certainly be interested, but Id prefer to buy from a Sydney-based sponsor in case of needing to return for repair.

did someone say modified Silvia?
    INTERESTED :D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by aaarrrnnn link=1179274773/0#6 date=1179319155
    Id certainly be interested, but Id prefer to buy from a Sydney-based sponsor in case of needing to return for repair.

This also makes logical sense to me, aaarrrnnn....

We are working on just that idea...

I would estimate that we are approximately a month away from product ready for sale....Will be 8-) to get this happening for Aussie CSers though if everything works out....

Chris

Hi Chris,

I think that PIDding a silvia is a great idea if you already have one and want to get some more performance out of it. However, the grouphead offset from the boiler doesnt strike me as the best design for a PIDded machine. If you look at the LM, Synesso, Dalla Corte and La Spaziale multiple boiler machines, all of them have either a boiler sitting directly above the group for temperature stability or a very large group saturated with boiler water ... which amounts to a very similar effect. So if youre going to sell a PIDded single boiler machine, it makes a lot more sense to me to PID the ECM botticelli or the Isomac Venus, which both have the boilers above the group.

Cheers,

Luca

TC

Quote Originally Posted by luca link=1179274773/0#9 date=1179365443
    Hi Chris,

I think that PIDding a silvia is a great idea if you already have one and want to get some more performance out of it. *However, the grouphead offset from the boiler doesnt strike me as the best design for a PIDded machine. *If you look at the LM, Synesso, Dalla Corte and La Spaziale multiple boiler machines, all of them have either a boiler sitting directly above the group for temperature stability or a very large group saturated with boiler water ... which amounts to a very similar effect. *So if youre going to sell a PIDded single boiler machine, it makes a lot more sense to me to PID the ECM botticelli or the Isomac Venus, which both have the boilers above the group.

Cheers,

Luca
    Yes Luca- I can see where youre coming from here...however, people can and do PID the Silvia, and for good reason- It works. In addition, those who have one, are generally thrilled with the result and have little problem justifying the expense...

The machines mentioned are all significantly or substantially more expensive and many are well out of the realm of possibility for the majority of CSers. So Is a PIDd Silvia the best espresso machine in the world??...Nope.

That machine I would argue is yet to be built or is a different beast to each user anyway- What you like may not suit me.

Given that this is an expression of interest thread to see whether this endeavour is worthwhile/viable, can we keep it on topic? Debates regarding the relative merits could be better served with their own thread in the machines section? It will also assist me to keep those interested in the loop....

Chris

I think the PIDed Silvias are a great idea- PIDing any good single boiler- Ive had great success with the Botticelli and Quaha. I think this option is a great alternative for a lot of people. A heat exchanger is not necessary for most people. Had I not been given the Bezzera, and already had the Bott with PID, I certainly wouldnt look at an hx. The results are that good.
    I guess Im assuming similar results for the Silvia as the Bott- back to setpoint by the time you grind for the next espresso.
    Brett

TC

To update those who have expressed interest, we will PID our first Silvia in the next couple of weeks.

This unit will be for sale brand new for the shipped cost of the PID and Silvia, but no fitting fee.

Once this unit is complete and we have an idea of time taken, the plan is to offer members the opportunity to purchase the PID of their choice directly from Jim and then we will supply a fitting service for Silvias purchased from Talk Coffee...

12 month parts and labour warranty will be included.

Exciting times!

Chris

hazchem

Chris, is this offer only intended for new Silvia purchases or will you offer something for those of us that already have one, possibly not purchased from Talk Coffee?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by hazchem link=1179274773/0#13 date=1179878943
    Chris, is this offer only intended for new Silvia purchases or will you offer something for those of us that already have one, possibly not purchased from Talk Coffee?
    Hi HC.....I have to think about older Silvias :-/. An older machine is somewhat of an unknown quantity and this could have an influence on performance. In addidtion, there would be issues with warranty if in existence on the older Silvia....

If we assume 2 hours labour + shipping to and from us, it may make the exercise somewhat prohibitive and it may make the purchase of a newie pretty much $$$ neutral....

regards

Chris

Yeah- This is what the Cs community needs... I have one and I have absolutely no upgraditis. Its just so easy to get consistency. I was wondering about adding a separate boiler so I can have steam always there! ::)
    Would that be a consideration Chris, ol mate, ol pal????

RH ;)

"I was wondering about adding a separate boiler"
    Its simple rayzurhed, just but another Silvia from Chris and gaffa em both together.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1179274773/0#14 date=1179879889
    Quote Originally Posted by hazchem link=1179274773/0#13 date=1179878943
    Hi HC.....I have to think about older Silvias *:-/. An older machine is somewhat of an unknown quantity and this could have an influence on performance. In addidtion, there would be issues with warranty if in existence on the older Silvia....

If we assume 2 hours labour + shipping to and from us, it may make the exercise somewhat prohibitive and it may make the purchase of a newie pretty much $$$ neutral....

regards

Chris
    Having slept on this, we have decided that we will offer a retrofit option on old machines tested and in good working order.

We will have our first PID machine for sale in a couple of weeks....

TC

Update: We have received our first kit from Jim and will install it in a Silvia during next week. At that point, once were happy that all is well with the machine, the Silvia will be available for purchase at CS price + cost of PID, but no fitting fee./\/

Should be fun!

Chris

Im interested for one (if it helps to gauge interest!) - see my post in mid-range gear!

TC

The first PIDed Silvia is now complete and on the bench in the showroom. We are thrilled with the result!

This one is sold.

Talk Coffee now offers PID fitting service on Silvas purchased new from us. Simply order, purchase your PID from Jim and have it delivered to us. These are covered by our warranty and Jims PID warranty. Most PIDs can be fitted in under 2 hours...

I have slept some more on the retrofit option to older machines and we are happy to fit PIDs to any machine in top working condition. You order your kit from Jim and have him ship it to us. Ship your machine to us and we will charge the modification at our hourly rate, return shipment and warrant our workmanship. *NB- doing this before the your 12 month supplier warranty is up will most likely void it- unless you purchase your machine from us *;).

Chris

Re: Silvia PID fitting service

Count me in (but tell me how many $ first). Being as mechanically minded as a fencepost *:-[I wouldnt dream of installing one myself as I probably wouldnt be around long enough to drink the first cup *:)

Bob

TC

Falco, please feel free to give me a buzz and Ill walk you through everything...Meanwhile, your shopping list is with Jim at http://www.pidkits.com ;)

TC

Our PIDed Silvia is on special this month (July ;))....Further information can be found at http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/2#2

If you already have a Silvia and want this job done, this is a good opportunity to jump in on a CS bulk order and save some $$. Well fit your standard PIDkits PID for $100 if youre scared ;)

2mcm

TC

We have 3 remaining brand new PID Silvia for delivery this month at $xxxx...We fit your genuine PIDkits.com kit (which is $295US alone) gratis! SOLD!

For those Silvia owners who would like to fit their own, well sell any leftovers from this batch of 5 and you save on shipping as we will be picking up the tab for you. They dont come any better than Jims kits *;).

Details in our sponsor area http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/2#2

Damn and Dash!
    That deal is huge. *I have just fitted a Jims PID to my 11/06 Silvia - it is awesome. *It would be one of the best things I have done. *The temp remains constant at the top of the boiler (109C seems okay). *The element is ready to fire the instant the temp drops while brewing. *I dont have to temp surf. *I dont have to guess. *The result is an excellent brew, agreed by all (well! just my partner - Oh what benefits this bestows). It may be subjective but the water heats for steaming much quicker (I dont see how, probably because that water is hotter at the end of the brew). *I now get caught off guard in not having the milk jug ready (I steam when the temp hits 140C with the element on). * I did not get the PID with the steaming control - I dont need this - if I am quick!! *Just to think I could have got all this in one hit from 2 muchcoffeeman!
    (Do I need a spare PID silvia!)
    I am not promoting the deal. *I am just so pleased with what I have.

a raving
    Dumiya

TC

Great stuff Dumiya!

Jim produces outstanding kits and they are worth every cent IMHO. They make a good Silvia become a great one and are truely plug and play!

With our $$ so strong against the greenback, all Silvia owners should give serious thought to a PID if you dont have one.

Fitting one is easy, however for those scared of a screwdriver, were happy to do it for you. It takes a couple of hours....

Chris

Hi there Chris,

I am interested in a PID kit.

So are you selling the whole kit? everything that is needed included?

Also is it the one with steam control?

Oh and could you please tell me the total price please incl postage etc.

Eveyone that has PIDd seems to be happy with the results. ;)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by kaceb link=1179274773/15#27 date=1212920578
    Hi there Chris,

I am interested in a PID kit.

So are you selling the whole kit? everything that is needed included?

Also is it the one with steam control?

Oh and could you please tell me the total price please incl postage etc.

Eveyone that has PIDd seems to be happy with the results. ;)
    Hi Kaceb,

Details of the PIDed Silvia can be found on our website: http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/equipment/coffee-machine-rancilio-silvia.php

We get clients to order and import their own PID from Jim as it will save you the import duty and GST that a business has to pay- and therefore charge you..

My advice is to also have close look at the VBM Domobar Levetta (Vashetta) which is also a highly impressive little machine 8-)

You are welcome to drop me a line if you would like further information.

regards

Chris

Hi 2muchcoffeeman,

The PID looks somewhat vulnerable to me.

Instead of the PID sticking out of the Silvia, can you actually fit it so that it is within the machine like in this you tube video?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=z21qba7nz98

Thanks...

TC

Quote Originally Posted by U4koffee link=1179274773/15#29 date=1213514632
    Hi 2muchcoffeeman,

The PID looks somewhat vulnerable to me.

Instead of the PID sticking out of the Silvia, can you actually fit it so that it is within the machine like in this you tube video?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=z21qba7nz98

Thanks...
    Hi U4koffee.

We fit according to Jims instructions- as we believe that he knows best...

Chris

The Silvia in the youtube vid you posted is one extreme modded machine!! That begs the question for my next post... how do you do the pressure gauge mod?

Hi 2muchcoffeeman,

As a result of your reply I decided to email Jim and he has advised that it is possible to mount the PID in the location as shown in the video. In fact he thinks that the Silvia in the utube vid is one of his own customers.

The concern of mounting it within the machine is, of course, heat. Being said, Jim also advised that he himself has done around a dozen or so installations in this location without any reported issues thus far.

He did not say whether any of these installations where done on Australian Silvias or if our climate would be an influencing factor, especially in summer.

But it does give people such as myself the choice to go that way they want to....

TC

Quote Originally Posted by U4koffee link=1179274773/30#32 date=1213571502
    Hi 2muchcoffeeman,

As a result of your reply I decided to email Jim and he has advised that it is possible to mount the PID in the location as shown in the video. In fact he thinks that the Silvia in the utube vid is one of his own customers.

The concern of mounting it within the machine is, of course, heat. Being said, Jim also advised that he himself has done around a dozen or so installations in this location without any reported issues thus far.

He did not say whether any of these installations where done on Australian Silvias or if our climate would be an influencing factor, especially in summer.

But it does give people such as myself the choice to go that way they want to....
    Absolutely U4, what you do is up to you ;). The reason we stick with Jims recommendation is warranty, reliability and the time taken to fit them- which clients have to pay for. When you do your own, all of the choices become yours....

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by U4koffee link=1179274773/30#32 date=1213571502
    Being said, Jim also advised that he himself has done around a dozen or so installations in this location without any reported issues thus far.
    Very minor clarification: I (personally) have done only one installation this way. But around a dozen of our customers have done so using our kits.

High ambient temperatures (55C to 65C) exist here, and we are careful to advise customers of this fact. But, so far, the controllers have tolerated the temperatures well.

Jim