Thread: Whats the correct tamper for Sunbeam EM6910 PF?

Whats the correct tamper for Sunbeam EM6910 PF?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

Howdy group,

Its time for me to buy a proper tamp for my Sunbeam EM6910.

Whilst the Sunbeam product does come with a reasonably functional tamp, its not of the same ilk as a Pullman. However, when I went to the shops the other day to have a look, it seems that theres size variations for the diameter of the tamps.

Does anyone know what the correct size tamp is for a Sunbeam EM6910 PF (not the EM6900)?

Thanks muchly in advance.

Lawrance 8-)

Re: Whats the correct tamper for Sunbeam EM6910 P

Hi Lawrance,

It will take a 58mm tamper.

Cheers,

Luca

Both the EM6900/\/EM6910 are the same size!

Thanks for the info, guys. I wasnt sure if the filter basket in the EM6900 is different in diameter to the EM6910.

I am aware that the EM6900 baskets are a lot deeper and the EM6910 baskets are shallower.

Now, I know they are both 58mm diameter.

Thanks again!

:)

Mate - I sent my baskets off to Greg and got a checkerboad handle Pullman and it is a little work of art and made a very decent contribution to consistency in my coffee making.

Cheers

The deal has been done.

I dropped in to see Luca at Veneziano Caffe in Richmond and now Im the proud owner of an Espro 58mm tamp.

Im a gadgets man, and the ability to be able to accurately and consistently tamp to the right weight was what sold me. *:)

Luca showed me around the place and that was a nice treat too.

The Sunbeams will accept a generic 58mm tamper such as the Espro, as Luca mentioned; indeed the tamper the Sunbeam comes with is a 58mm unit. However the actual basket diameter is much larger than that and I normally use a larger tamper base for the EM69xx machines to achieve a more even tamp pressure across the whole puck than is possible with a standard 58mm base.

Hi Greg,

Yes, youre right. I put the 58mm tamp into the Sunbeam PF and theres a tiny amount of play.

I assume that your tamp specifically for the Sunbeam is more snug fitting.

Lawrance

Lawrance,

Greg makes the tamper to fit your basket exactly.... so not a grain of coffee escapes!

To do this he either needs you to send the basket or for you to measure very accurately (following a procedure on his web page) the internal diameter of the basket using a digital vernier calliper.

Another possibility - he keeps records of the sizes of the various machine baskets..... and if they are consistent.... he can use that size (but the other two methods guarantee a good result)......

The resultant tamper is a perfect fit.... and tamps right to the edge - first time, every time :) :)

Today I tried the Espro for the very first time.

I was surprised that I didnt need a lot of effort to get to the 15 kg tamp. I suspect that Ive been tamping way too hard in the past. Interestingly, with the dosage that Ive been used to, using the Espro, I got a soggy puck at the end of the pull.

To me this suggests that I am underdosing.

Also, I was unable to spin the Espro like how a Pullman can be spun on the grind, so I admit Im slightly disappointed not being able to do that with this tamp.

Anyways, its all good. The coffee still tasted good enough for me. And theres lots more experimenting to do from here. :)

Further more I dont know if I really want a "non standard" tamp which may not fit the next machine that I plan to buy. Or if I buy a replacement filter basket for the Sunbeam which is industry standard.

The Espro did work as it should, as I was able to tip the PF upside down and no grinds fell away, after Ive tamped it.

tempestv8,

I think the best answer to the non standard issue is simple:
    If you ever upgrade machines, simply ensure that it also uses 58mm baskets.
    Bring the basket and the tamper with you to the new machine.

Personally, I have 3 filter baskets. 2 doubles and a single. The tamper works fine for all, but works best with one in particular.
    I didnt send Greg baskets or measurements, I just ordered one and hoped for the best. Fortunately, Ive ended up with a pretty good fit.

Brett.

Site Sponsor

Hi Lawrance,

Thanks for coming to visit. It was just dumb luck that I happened to be in; I wanted a change of scenery whilst studying for exams, so thanks for the chance to procrastinate ;P

If we can find a convenient time whilst Im at work, Im more than happy to pull out a bottomless portafilter and show you some dose/tamp techniques with the espro - check your PMs.

Cheers,

Luca

A_M

My 6910 baskets require a 58.6mm tamp as they measure about 58.8mm and that gives me a reasonable fit.

Yet to save for a pullman :-)

Does anyone here know how to convert a standard Sunbeam Porta filter into a naked PF?

Ive got a spare PF for my Sunbeam, which Id like to turn into a naked, so that I can see if my dosing / tamping technique is up to scratch.

Im not keen for a hacksaw butchering of the PF, as Id like it to look good after the "conversion" and not some jagged and sharp instrument of danger to myself.

Lawrance :)

Lawrance....

The preferred method is with a lathe..... but not everyone is as fortunate as me. ;)

Failing that.... a quality hole saw of the correct size.... applied carefully will open up the base of the PF for you. You will have some filing to tidy up the rough edges.... and it wont look like a bought one.... but it will work.

Or you can be dodgey like me. Drill a bunch of holes around the perimeter of the base, then join the dots with a rotary tool ;) De-burr using a bunch of files and the rotary tool and Bobs your aunty. ;)

Does the job, but not as pretty as store bought machined one.

ohhhhhh post 1000 ;D

Hmm, sounds pretty much like a butcher job on the shiny PF without a lathe. :-[ :-/

;D ;D

Tempestv8, thats a nice figure, did you paint or did you just find it on the internet ?

I just googled for a picture of a butcher from the internet.

I looked at the shiny PF that I have and am wondering how I can even think of drilling into it and hacking a big hole into it. *Id have to be a butcher.... * :D

Quote Originally Posted by tempestv8 link=1180921880/15#19 date=1181189129
    I looked at the shiny PF that I have and am wondering how I can even think of drilling into it and hacking a big hole into it. Id have to be a butcher.... :D
    DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!

To tell you the truth, I only use one infrequently, but theyre quite useful. I wonder if it wouldnt be worthwhile creating a few travelling naked portafilters to be swapped around CSrs at beanbay pickups ...

Hmm... luca that sounds like an idea for "pay it forward" ;)