Thread: Silvias a gusher

Silvias a gusher

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys n gals

Silvia celebrated her one month anniversary in the workshop(not mine) getting a new "betsy boiler" fitted, as hers failed. She was four weeks old June 12th.
    Finally today been almost able to operate her.
    Problem Im having is she seems a bit hot? I cant say that I know this as fact with temp gauge readings just casing feels hotter then before, maybe this was due to faulty boiler.
    Now prob Im having is that I cant get her to pull a shot using double basket, 4 day rested manheldleing(spelling)(Mandheling ;)) and 4 day old columbian supremo shes putting out 60mls in 10-12 seconds.
    Rocky is same as prior to her workshop visit, Ive dialed him down to as low as I want to go 5-6 clicks under previous setting and she is still gushing shots fast I cant get a single decent one that doesnt taste like crap, due to meds I cant taste well not sure if it tastes acidy or really sour(that helps I know)
    Is it possible new boiler is hotter? would a hotter boiler make her pump out faster?
    Ive tried a few cooling shots to try get a different result but have given up, may have to wait a week then take her to BJ and let the Doctor open her up and see whats the matter.
    And yes I believe I could also be the prob but Im doing everything the same as before, and she gave great shots prior to failure.....

Anyone shed any suggestions here as Ive had it with her

Steve "kinda over this week" Sullos

Thanks in advance guys/gals

Re: Silvias a gusher

why not just keep going finer till it works. :) it doesnt matter how hot she is brewing, with a fine enough grind you should be able to choke it.

Ive heard that mandaling is a big creme bean so maybe what you think is gushing is actually just loads of creme from beans that are a bit fresh.

would the extra crema also come in the columbian supremo and brasil monte allegro? She had mandaling in her previously and didnt come a gusher thats why Im confused.
    I just dont wanna break rocky! What I cant understand is that everything is the same as before she was repaired, why has everything changed? thats what I dont get, the repeatability thing, Ive already gone 6 clicks down and from some posts if memory serves a click can make a 5=6 second change in shot time, so that being said when I click down shouldnt that reduce the shot time?
    Sorry I rantiing and very frustrated, considering events of the last week or so, its really giving me the poos

thanks for replying MM Ill give her one last chance

Gday Sullo,

I guess it is possible that the Boiler wasnt heating up properly prior to the element burning out, no way to know really......

If the Boiler is operating higher now though, higher temperature Brew Water will saturate the grounds more quickly for sure and this may lead to shots pulling more quickly than before. If you Run the Brew Switch without the PF in place, how does the water behave? Is it spitting and bubbling and carrying on (flashing immediately to Steam), or just pouring out as Hot Water after a few seconds?

If you Open the Steam Valve and hit the Hot Water Switch, does the water pour out as Hot Water or flash immediately to Steam and remain like that indefinitely? I suppose it is possible that the Techs mixed up the T/Stats on top of the Boiler but one would hope not.

Mal.

Ill have to check the hot water one tomorrow as shes is off for the night, told her off gave her a pointed gesture etc. Without pf it initialy does spit and splutter a lil bit then 10-15 secs I get the familiar 5 streams of hot water. But thats given me a good thing to check, Ihavent lifted the lid to see what he did, was hoping for the best.
    If he has mixed them Im not going to be very happy arggg, what a week.
    thanks Mal

Mmmm...

Doesnt sound like they have been swapped....

But maybe the new boiler comes complete with new thermostats (and this one is hotter)..... or they refitted the old one but it isnt making good contact with the boiler..... so it switches when the boiler is at a higher temperature.

the invoice only lists 1 x betsy boiler, so Im guessing thats all that was changed?
    I would imagine that if the thermo was replaced that wouldve been listed too?

appreciate the feedback here guys

Although this may be too much information, I have the best partner in the world, for lots of reasons, but for this thread one reason, is she has no way of pmsing or any mood related symptons. Yes I truely am a lucky man(thank god she doesnt read this!)

But Im convinced bloody Silvia does, tempramental lil witch she is.
    Id so love to jam a PID or something in her, but Ive a promise not to mod till warranty expires :(

As long as your grinder will allow you to do so keep going finer with the grind until the timing is right and go from there by taste. :)

Java "Grinding away" phile

seems weird that a grinder that has so many steps is set so low, its on 1 now?
    this obsession sometimes does my head in!
    I should take up stamp collecting, much less stress.......

Nahhhhhhhh

Are you sure the zero is where the burrs meet?
    You may find it goes into the negative.

With it empty and without turning it on, can you adjust the setting below zero?

-3 and we get burrs

Sullo,

My Rocky is set on 4 and it always has hovered around that value, so using a low setting on the rocky is nothing new to me. My Silvia, which is a few years old will spit and hiss after being on for a while once the brew switch is hit and then settle down to a nice stream. The Silvia is very sensitive to the amount of coffee in the PF. If the pf is not dosed fully then it can lead to fast pours. You need to have the level of the puck in line with the line around the inside of the basket after tamping. Ideally it should be a little hard to load the PF as I have found that a PF with a little resistance to being locked in gives the best pours. This doesnt mean arm wrenching hard, just a little more resistance than an empty one. If you remove the pf again you should have an impression of the screw and slight impression of the shower screen.

Cheers,

Matt

after discussions with Renzo the guru it appears that my lil gurl mightve had a lower temp then the new boiler somehow, one of those one in a zillion things which confused the heck out of me.(which isnt all that hard to do)
    In the end problem sorted, changed all my settings and seems to be working better now on a 2 clicks from true zero on bullwinkle.
    Thanks for the help everyone.
    :)

One month old and in repairs? *Was it brand new? *Did you leave it on steam or without water?

For future reference, if its new and you havent done anything to bust it yourself, you are entitled to a complete refund or replacement (YOUR choice) and dont have to accept a repair if you dont want to. *Of course, if you like the ppl and trust them it doesnt matter but I hope you werent talked into having a repair when you would have preferred a straight out replacement.

Four steps off burrs touching on your Rocky (which is also new?) seems incredibly fine to me, I think my burrs touch close to zero and I run my Rocky at 8-10. *If the coffee is tasting good, maybe leave it, but if you still think its possible its not quite right I would take it back and ask for a replacement. *You are entitled to one.

There is a thread on HB about a rocky where the burrs wernt quite parralel and made it very difficult to get good shots. maybe something going on.

Hmmm,

I remember reading one about a Gaggia MDF with this trouble MM67 but not a Rocky.... To the best of my knowledge. I suppose it would be possible if the burr plate(s) were incorrectly fitted but otherwise its hard to imagine given the amount of metal involved in the burr carrier system and the length of thread engaged between them :-?.

Mal.

Fair enough MM67,

That would have to be a pretty rare occurrence though, given the millions of Rockys thatll be out in the wild. Id still reckon its most likely cause would be related directly to the burr-plates themselves or the way they were originally fitted. And even though the guy in question makes suggestions to the effect that it might be possible to cross-thread the top burr carrier and continue down in this fashion until the burrs are close enough to grind, Id like to see the bloke who could do that and hed have to be a lot bigger than Big Arnie.

Like I mentioned above though, there have been a few instances of MDF grinders suffering from this problem but I still believe that it is most likely due to the manner in which the burr-plates have been fitted. They are precision ground cutting tools and must be fitted with care and accuracy and I guess if even the slightest unevenness during fitting occurs, then grinding for consistently good quality espressos is going to be difficult. Ive even noticed warnings on the care needed to properly fir new burr-plates to a number of large commercial grinders, so I guess its a problem that is recognised and manufacturers have seen the need to draw attention to it.

Cheers,
    Mal.