Thread: Brand new shiny machine...... but.......

Brand new shiny machine...... but.......

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    All,
    My wife decided that for my birthday this year she would buy me a "coffee machine" - she had some pretty specific requirements around bench space, usability etc etc.... and after she did much research and spent some time out at Di Bartoli in Sydney (who I can highly recommend to anyone going through the same process - they are patient with newbies and spent time going through each and every combination my wife was interested in) she bought me a Ascaso Steel Duo Pro with a Isomac Granmacinino Grinder.

The only bummer is that Im not allowed to unwrap them till Sept!! Argh, there they sit all shiny waiting for me to get my paws on them - its killing me. I guess Ill spend some time doing some research on making good coffee and milk. Off to read the manual :-)

Cheers!

Re: Brand new shiny machine...... but.......

You need to calculate how many great cups of coffee your wife will miss out on between now and September - that could sway her. Or point out how bad the first few cups will turn out and how great it would be if you could make her a perfect coffee on your birthday.

Nice machines. :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Viviane link=1184193328/0#1 date=1184196309
    You need to calculate how many great cups of coffee your wife will miss out on between now and September - that could sway her. *Or point out how bad the first few cups will turn out and how great it would be if you could make her a perfect coffee on your birthday. *

or....start making her really bad coffee with the existing kit until she lets you crack the boxes [smiley=evil.gif]

Congrats on the new kit!

Lucky guy indeed,

Very classy kit youve got there from what sounds like a very classy lady too. By the way, Id try Chriss advice with the terrible brews, nothing works like having to put up with yuk coffee when coffee nirvana is just sitting there metres away.... Itd drive me crazy .

Congratulations G_S,

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1184193328/0#2 date=1184196484
    Quote Originally Posted by Viviane link=1184193328/0#1 date=1184196309
    You need to calculate how many great cups of coffee your wife will miss out on between now and September - that could sway her. Or point out how bad the first few cups will turn out and how great it would be if you could make her a perfect coffee on your birthday.

or....start making her really bad coffee with the existing kit until she lets you crack the boxes [smiley=evil.gif]

Congrats on the new kit!
    That may tempt her to return them Chris! :P

Maybe you can point out to her the financial benefits of opening now:

a) You are burning up the warrantee period with it sitting there. Makes no sense to have something break in 10 months time to find its past a year since purchase ;)

b) Calculate the cost of purchasing three espressos per day, every day, until it is opened.

Good luck!

Matt

Its criminal letting beautiful equipment like that sit on the counter unused, fire it up and enjoy the delights!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Greenman

Congratulations with the new toys!!
    I think you need to be strategic a this point. ;) The makinas are there already.

Maybe this will help, it is how I just went through the same thing with my wife last week. Lets say she "understands" my love for coffee, but has never been an aficionado. Its great that your wife is in with the project. With that, youve got half of the road traveled.

Maybe if you just suggest to invite some friends over for some good coffee, or something along those lines, and sort of mention the entertainment value of the new machine, it might work out. It did for me. ::)

My wife even went with me to pick one up... Same as yours, except for the grinder.

Good luck!!

that would be grounds for divorce in my house!
    My bday was yesterday I got my pressies a week ago, hers is 24th she got hers Saturday :D

What????

Grounds for divorce for letting your wife convince you of what you want?
    Cmon.

grounds for divorce having a machine there and NOT being able to play with it.
    sorry I wrote that wrongly

apologes

Yippee!!!!!! Finally I was allowed to unleash the new shiny coffee machine!

All unpacked and made a few cups - not too successful yet...

Quick question: Im getting pretty quick pours. My limited understanding is that the pour time is controlled by a) dosage b) tamping and c) grind.

Di Bartoli dialled the grinder in before they gave it to me so I think the grind is close. Dosage appears ok - I get a nice shower screen impression on the puck. So I guess that leaves tamping - a bit limited with the plastic tamper that comes with the machine. Ill need to get a "real" one soon.

Any other suggestions ?

Cheers
    Geoff

A Pullman Tamper.
    See the link on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by gazing_south link=1184193328/0#11 date=1189074542
    Quick question: Im getting pretty quick pours. My limited understanding is that the pour time is controlled by a) dosage b) tamping and c) grind.
    Correct. :)

Di Bartoli dialled the grinder in before they gave it to me so I think the grind is close.
    You will have to adjust your grind fineness not only between beans but even throughout the day using the same beans. Dont be afraid to play with the settings, thats what its there for. :)

Dosage appears ok - I get a nice shower screen impression on the puck.
    Sounds like a good dose level.

So I guess that leaves tamping - a bit limited with the plastic tamper that comes with the machine. Ill need to get a "real" one soon.
    A good tamper is a very big plus and goes a long ways to improving consistency.

Working with what youve got it sounds like the dose is good. Tamp with 12-15kg of pressure (doing the same pressure consistently is more important than the amount of pressure used) and adjust the fineness of the grind until you get a 30 second pour and then adjust it from there based on your taste. :)

Java "Grinding away" phile

a bit limited with the plastic tamper that comes with the machine
    I was getting similar results using the plastic tamper which came with the new Silvia, advice here was to look for a glass with the same base diameter, one I found in the cupboard is a bit smaller than PF so I give it three tamps around the edges, results are good and will tide me over till I pick up something better.
    P.S. Of course take care how much pressure is put on the rim of glass.