Thread: OK - Someone talk me OUT OF buying a Venus!

OK - Someone talk me OUT OF buying a Venus!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Firstly, Ive got to than the guys at Di Bartoli for the great service they gave me last friday - they give a new meaning to service, and deserve to feel proud of their business :)

Im very close to deciding on a Venus as an upgrade from my Breville 800ES. *Was also considering the Silvia and even the Ascaso (at quite a bit more than my budget).

Main reson for upgrade - time to take my coffee making to a new level - when you get better coffee coming from the Sunbeam EM6910 at work with the same beans as at home you know its time to do something about it. *I have ruled out the Sunbeam (at this stage) due to its steamer, which is crap compared to the Breville. *Anyway, I think I want something different (without going over the top on design - I still like the basic, box look).

So - give me your opinions on this machine - should I go for it, or is there something that Id regret down the track. *FWIW, I am not (yet) in the market for spending $1.5k+, and Ill also be upgrading my grinder from a Sunbeam EM0450 to a Rocky soon (my birthdays coming up ;) ).

mj

Re: OK - Someone talk me OUT OF buying a Venus!

Sheepie,

Not being aware of the deal you might have with Di Bartoli, but I might suggest that the Venus appears a little expense if youre thinking of heading toward a HX or doubleboiler down the track.
    Other than that Im sure it would do a nice job. Id be inclined to maybe go for a Silvia or a Botticelli and spend more on a better grinder (mazzer, macap, compak) and dont forget a good quality tamper if you havent already got one!

Mj.

Gday sheepie,

Im with Mj, the Venus appears to be a great machine in its own right and probably more up-market than a Silvia but if you have ambitions of upgrading to a HX style of machine in the not too distant future, then you might be better off going with a less expensive similarly capable machine like a Gaggia Classic et al and keeping the pennies saved aside for that later upgrade perhaps. The Classic is a very capable machine in its category and is less than half the cost of a Venus... I guess you could then put the balance of your budget towards a high quality grinder like a Mazzer/Macap which you will never have to upgrade and will balance perfectly with any good quality HX machine you may later acquire.

Cheers mate,
    Mal.

Mal is right - the classic will see you through to making the next step up to the bcm (big coffee machine).

A while back I did a bit of research on machines, including the Sylvia for an idea of what I wanted to upgrade to. I found the sylvia and anything under the 1.5K mark was more or less a sideways step and it was better to save the $$ and making the leap to the HX bezzera I have been drooling over.

Go ahead with the grinder upgrade.

Save your pennies until you can afford HX machine. That way there will be no regrets.

Take coffee to whole new level then.

hehe - thanks for everyones input!

The reality is I dont think Ill ever be upgrading that far (to a HX). *In fact, I never thought Id upgrade as much as I did last night ;)

Grinder to come.

Thanks again to the great guys at Di Bartolis! *Thanks also to my lovely wife, who said "OK" several times without really understanding what she was agreeing to ;)

Wow, thats a pretty compact set up - love the flouro (?) above the machine. It must look good in the dead of night :)

Now, if you had the whole thing on wheels, you could roll it anywhere! :D

Re: OK - Someone TALKED me out of buying a Venus ;

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis link=1187743945/0#6 date=1187995937
    Wow, thats a pretty compact set up - love the flouro (?) above the machine. *It must look good in the dead of night :) ...
    Yes, it looks really cool - got it about a year ago off of Ebay, from memory it was something like $50. *Starting to pull reasonable shots from the machine now too - so am very happy :)