Thread: La Cimbali Domus maintenence

La Cimbali Domus maintenence

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After a bit of luck and a lot of right place right time on the old ebay, I find my self the owner of a very low use Cimbali Domus Classic.

whilst it is in very good condition (has been in storage for a few years) I am sure it could do with some love and attention before being pressed into service, can I, should I, is it safe to backflush this machine? info is pretty hard to find so far so I am unsure.

being a boiler machine I assume the standard instructions for descaling are OK to follow? even though it has been stored dry I could imagine there would be some kinds of buildup inside (was serviced before being stored)

I havent measured the PF yet but would it be safe to assume most commercial baskets would fit this? it has a double wedged in at the moment that has suffered some damage to the lip and will need replacing, what would be a useful basket to get, and where can I get them, coffee parts perhaps?

I must say even after a few half hearted shots (was late and I only have the inbuilt tamper to use till I sort the baskets and get a Pullman) I am in love, going from a Sunbeam EM3600 with Krupps baskets to this the difference in everything is amazing :D The previous owner was a bit unsure of selling it due to not wanting to rip anyone off as he claimed it was such a poor useless machine, he then proceeded to show me how it works by scooping in 2 teaspoons of preground into the PF, no tamp then locked it in and hit the button till it filled his cup I was very ;D on the inside whilst :-X on the outside

Re: La Cimbali Domus maintenence

Just to get something clear before I go on...I am no espresso machine maintenance expert, but....

Often when machines that are normally supposed to be wet, (eg. car airconditioners, fuel systems, espresso machines etc), are stored dry for an extended period of time seals and rubber hoses etc are likely to dry out and perish.

As such, Id be inclined to take the cover off and have a look for any evidence of this, just to be on the safe side. Might end up saving you at the very least a hell of a mess.

And now over to someone who actually knows what they are talking about...

OK so it looks like Im going it alone here, so far no leaks except from a bit squashed PF seal that will need replacing

is anybody able to give me some accurate dimensions for the famous LM double basket? mine isnt going to come out without damage and I would like to be sure the LM basket will fit if I order one with a Pullman

Sunbeamer,

Nice pickup! I saw one of those a little while ago in the Quokka (WAs local ad paper) at a pretty good price, considering its capabilities. Not the prettiest machine but I was impressed with its specs (what little I could find, I agree).

There isnt one magic size for the LMs unfortunately. Just this past week its come to my attention that some of the genuine LM double baskets I have are bigger than others! At least if youre getting a tamper from us we can make sure it fits the basket before it all gets sent out, but the actual size of the basket isnt an absolute. Thats all presuming a LM basket will fit your portafilter; I dont think they fit JavaBs La Cimbali, but thats a commercial unit so there may be differences. If that turns out to be the case, you can get Cimbali baskets from coffeeparts, and if you want you can then send them in (or get them sent to us directly from CP), to get a tamper sized to suit.

If youre handy with a screwdriver itd be a good idea to take the lid off and see its general condition as prc6of7 (interesting...) said. As far as maintenance goes, Id think standard boiler machine maintenance would apply, but while youve got the top off check if it has a three-way valve as thatll tell you whether or not you can backflush. A descale is a good idea even if you dont want to open the boiler to see its present condition, you can descale without pulling it apart.

he claimed it was such a poor useless machine, he then proceeded to show me how it works by scooping in 2 teaspoons of preground into the PF, no tamp then locked it in and hit the button till it filled his cup
    Youve just demonstrated why the operator is far more important than the machine. Some people seem to think the machine is what makes good coffee, but a process like that would get dreck from a Synesso! That all being the case though, you can be pretty sure it hasnt had much TLC so itd definitely be worth giving it a good cleanup and maybe replace the group gasket while youre at it.

Good luck!

Greg

Thanks Greg ive been Talking to JavaB about the baskets and a new Cimbali basket sent to you for fitting is looking like the sensible option

just waiting to hear from coffee parts if they can get those and a group seal

Sound like you picked up one I was going to go for but decided to pass on and go for something else, which I ended up missing out on, so you might have had a bit of competition. ;D
    My armchair research tells me these machines have a aluminium boiler and pf, dont know what else in the workings is aluminium so take care if you use cleaning solution it is suitable for aluminium.

vicroamer I think you would be right about both being aluminium, do you have links to any armchair research you found online? I am having trouble coming up with much at all and really only bought it cause it was cheap and said La Cimbali on the front :)

Cant help you much, I just waded through what google threw up and picked up a little bit of info off euro sites using Babelfish to decipher.

Hi Sunbeamer,

I had a Cimbali Domus for about 5 years before I moved to Miss Sylvia. I can tell you that it does have a 3 way valve and can be backflushed with detergent. I also know that it is important to refresh the water softener by flushing with salt water regularly. It also needs to be descaled as you would expect. Apart from that I have no technical info to offer.

Mine worked beautifully. I did replace the boiler after about 4 years. I suspect it blew because my wife and I werent always diligent with running water through the steam wand immediately after steaming milk.

Overall it it is a very good machine, perhaps not quite up to the Sylvia benchmark but "the real deal" as far as home espresso machines go.

Cheers,

Louis

My research was generally googling, and most of the results I recall were from sites which sold them. They seem to have more of a presence in NZ than here. There seemed to be a few different levels some with volumetric and others without. I think coffeegeek had some info on them too. But I never got anything as far as boiler volume or material, which is one thing which turned me off, plus while it was a bargain for $250, it was always going to be hard to justify it when I already had a Silvia, Presso, a plunger and two grinders! ::)

well no good with replacment bits from coffee parts, any ideas where I may get a gasket and basket from?

Quote Originally Posted by papalui link=1187994956/0#8 date=1188215670
    Hi Sunbeamer,

it is important to refresh the water softener by flushing with salt water regularly. *
    would you be able to give any more info about this? is there any special process or mix needed or is it pretty self explanitory?

Hi Sunbeamer

When I bought my Domus it came with a funnel with a filter fitted to the apex of the cone. The instructions said to place two coffee measures of rock salt into the funnel and after inserting the funnel tip into the base of the resin containing water softener(removed from the inside of the water tank), the next step was to fill the cfunnel with water. Water was continually used to top up the funnel as the salty water flowed through the softener by gravity. Water is added until all the rock salt has dissolved. By this time the resin in the softener will have been reactivated.

I bought my machine from Supreme Coffee Machines here in Perth. They still sell and service these machines. Im sure your local La Cimbali dealer should be able to help with any problems

Cheers

Louis

I had a look inside the cannister today and it looks like somebody has removed all the resin, so a call do a La cimbali agent might be in order