Thread: Fast pour with Sunbeam EM6910: newbie needs hints

Fast pour with Sunbeam EM6910: newbie needs hints

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Until last week my espresso at home has been provided by a stovetop maker and supermarket coffee (Im sorry, I didnt know any better then). I did know that a decent grinder was needed to start with, and so my wife was going to get me one for Fathers Day. However, she saw the offer for a free grinder with the Sunbeam EM6910 and asked me if I would prefer that instead. I had seem a couple of tests where a Sunbeam machine around the $600 mark came out top ranked, and so after researching these forums briefly, Im now the proud owner of an EM6910 and waiting to hear from Sunbeam re: my grinder and coffee appreciation course (a pretty good result for a Fathers Day gift, and its still not Fathers Day!)

Ive had a week of experimenting and lurking on this forum, and Ive learnt an awful lot from a number of threads. But I now have a question I would like to ask. Obviously I dont have the grinder yet, and so had to rely on some ground coffee from the local Merlo cafe - I made sure to ask for commercial grind.

However, the first couple of times I tried the single floor portafilter the pour was very fast and the pressure gauge got nowhere near the optimum range. So I tried the dual floor filter, and have gotten very nice coffee out of it all week (at least for my palate - and my guests - no bitterness at all.) Seeing how easy it is to get decent coffee out of this machine has made me feel pretty angry at the number of poor coffees I have been served in various restaurants/cafes - but thats another story.

I read a whole lot more last night and saw a number of comments suggesting I should throw the dual floor filters out, and wondered if I perhaps didnt tamp the grinds firmly enough. So I packed it as best I could with the single floor double filter this morning - and again got a fast pour with low pressure. I also had been relying on the automatic timing of the shots until now - today I saw very quickly that this was blonding after not so many seconds and so shut it down. The resulting shot had little crema, and tasted watery and what I thought was bitter.

So: my conclusion is that my grind must be too coarse for the macine. Does that seem a reasonable conclusion? Is there anything else that might be going on? The temperature setting hasnt been moved from the default.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Fast pour with Sunbeam EM6910: newbie needs hints

Hi there,

Until last week my espresso at home has been provided by a stovetop maker and supermarket coffee (Im sorry, I didnt know any better then). I did know that a decent grinder was needed to start with, and so my wife was going to get me one for Fathers Day. However, she saw the offer for a free grinder with the Sunbeam EM6910 and asked me if I would prefer that instead. I had seem a couple of tests where a Sunbeam machine around the $600 mark came out top ranked, and so after researching these forums briefly, Im now the proud owner of an EM6910 and waiting to hear from Sunbeam re: my grinder and coffee appreciation course (a pretty good result for a Fathers Day gift, and its still not Fathers Day!)

Ive had a week of experimenting and lurking on this forum, and Ive learnt an awful lot from a number of threads. But I now have a question I would like to ask. Obviously I dont have the grinder yet, and so had to rely on some ground coffee from the local Merlo cafe - I made sure to ask for commercial grind.

However, the first couple of times I tried the single floor portafilter the pour was very fast and the pressure gauge got nowhere near the optimum range. So I tried the dual floor filter, and have gotten very nice coffee out of it all week (at least for my palate - and my guests - no bitterness at all.) Seeing how easy it is to get decent coffee out of this machine has made me feel pretty angry at the number of poor coffees I have been served in various restaurants/cafes - but thats another story.

I read a whole lot more last night and saw a number of comments suggesting I should throw the dual floor filters out, and wondered if I perhaps didnt tamp the grinds firmly enough. So I packed it as best I could with the single floor double filter this morning - and again got a fast pour with low pressure. I also had been relying on the automatic timing of the shots until now - today I saw very quickly that this was blonding after not so many seconds and so shut it down. The resulting shot had little crema, and tasted watery and what I thought was bitter.

So my conclusion is that my grind must be too coarse for the machine. Does that seem a reasonable conclusion? Is there anything else that might be going on? The temperature setting hasnt been moved from the default.

I also havent seen an explanation of why the dual floor filters are so bad: is it simply because it implies inferior coffee?

Cheers,
    Matt.

Re: Fast pour with Sunbeam EM6910: newbie needs hi

Hi Matt,

You will need to grind your coffee finer to slow the pour.

See:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1180165483/#10

for an explanation why a dual wall basket isnt very good.

Hi Matt,

Congrates on your new toy ;-)

Pre-Ground is a touchy issue... Youll never get good extraction times with Pre-Ground and non pressurised baskets..

Bottom line is the coffee has gone stale and/\/or is ground fine enough... probably a bit of both...

Dual Floor baskets are bad - They simply mask a bad/\/stale coffee, producing a "fake" crema... it isnt a true indication of good coffee... All Dual Wall Baskets Ive been where coffee has been produced from gives you a "blond" looking crema - YUCK! Needs to be a nice golden brown colour at the very lest...

Thanks for the tips.

Looks like Ill just have to wait for the grinder to arrive. I thought I did OK asking a local roaster to grind me some beans there and then....

There are some excellent informative posts on these forums that Ive found hidden away in threads, and/or are pointed out by someone. Does this site have an FAQ? - I cant see one. Maybe itd be worth putting some of that info somewhere easier to find.... so that people like me dont ask the same question again and again and again...

Cheers,
    Matt.

Hi Matt

I also asked a local Merlos cafe to grind me some really fine coffee - fine enough for a commercial espresso machine - what they gave me was quite coarse - I didnt know any better at the time - about 3 weeks ago (Im learning fast *:)) Then I got another cafe to grind me some Abrisca coffee which comes from East Brisbane. What a difference! Suddenly the needle was where it should be and the coffee was so nice - Im a novice at this but I was really excited. Im also waiting for my grinder but in the meantime will very happily buy more of the Abrisca. Maybe give another supplier a go emphasising that you need a really fine grind. *Good luck!

I have an em6910 after my cheap ebay machine bit the dust ,i am waiting for th grinder but my old machine has grinder built in it works fine, after i made some mods . But if your buying pre ground I found starbucks new how to grind coffee I bought thier PNG coffee and had it ground to espresso machine and Its not bad ,considering coffee comes from US.Seems fresh enough bought some from gloria jeans it was yuk yet its roasted in oz.

Hi Matt,
    Another factor to consider is the amount of coffee which you place in the basket. Use the large basket (you will get better and more consistant results).

You may have read other thread on this site which describe updosing for the EM6910. This is not an illegal activity! It refers to the need to fill the filter fairly full. On the tamper supplied with the machine, the steel part showing on the side should be half in the basket when tamped at approx 15kg, as a rough guide. probably a picture would be better than 29 words :)

I have just attended the Sunbeam Coffee course and found it useful.

have fun.

I enjoyed Merlo coffee when in Bris recently. A disturbing effect of home coffee is finding good coffee when away from home! Knowledge is never neutral, the best source of happiness may well be ingnorance - but I dont plan to return to it.

Cheers

Ive been playing with a 6900 at work.
    I ground some beans before leaving home and found that it may need one notch finer on my Macap grinder.
    However with the same coffee Ive found the single (small) basket gave a good pour.

Now to emphasise that stale coffee pours faster, I used what was left of that coffee when I got home again.
    By that time it had been ground for almost 12 hours.
    The pour was at least twice as fast as in the morning.
    And obviously had little to no crema and tasted watery.

The coffee had been kept in an airtight bag all day.

So if you buy pre-ground this is what is going to happen.

martybean - when Im not roasting my own I buy from a roaster 15 minutes away.
    Ive seen her roast my beans and bag them for me.
    I know they are fresh.
    Theres no way on this earth Starbucks coffee can be considered fresh.

Even though the stuff I buy tastes better from 7 days after roasting it would still be fresher then than the Starbucks stuff.

If its roasted in the States it would have to be stale before it got into a store.

Thanks folks, more useful knowledge. I didnt realise ground coffee went stale that quickly.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0064 link=1188167822/0#8 date=1188264655
    Thanks folks, more useful knowledge. I didnt realise ground coffee went stale that quickly.

Matt.
    It is amazing isnt it?

Thundergod you are 100% correct about starbucks not being fresh but the point i suppose i was trying to make if the is ground incorrect then it wont pour as good as one that is ground correct.

True, but unless you grind it yourself as you need it, it will soon be stale and the grind will no longer be right (besides being stale).

Hi Matt, welcome to CS.
    To put it bluntly the coffee is stale! You cant use pre ground (cafe or supermarket) in non-pressurised baskets. Stick with the double floor baskets that produce fake "crema" until your grinder arrives.
    A few threads have covered this info, just do a quick search.

All the best :)

Oh and i think most of the em6910 info is in the $500 plus bracket (unless you got a super deal...).

Thanks: I posted in this forum by mistake and immediately reposted in the right place (and have several responses telling me exactly the same thing!). I hit the delete button here but I guess that didnt work. Sorry!

Matt.