Thread: What to do, what to do...

What to do, what to do...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,

First time here and its a pleasure to find such a great site to read all that is coffee.

A little history about 7 years ago when I was living in Auckland an opportuniy came up to but a Brasilia Mini Lady quite cheaply. Well at that stage I knew nothing about brewing coffee, steaming milk, let alone why you should grind your own... her indoors had a fit when I brought it home... six months later when I presented her with a lovely foamy hot chocolate she could see the benefits...

Prior to the shift from Auckland to Brisbane the decicion was made to get rid of a bit of excess baggage, Mini Lady included. So I sit here now in brisbane without a coffee machine, and have realised that good coffee is so much harder to come by here. Sorry but its the truth. The guy downstairs from my office at the coffee shop watches me walk past every morning because I am sure the neighbours cat could produce something more appealing.

I have now convinced the wife that we need a new machine. I have read quite a bit and "she" will be happy if I continue to poduce the hot chocolates, I want to be able to produce good coffee however my budget is around the $750 mark. I was looking at the sunbeam em 6910 with its grinder. Any thoughts and opinions?

Thanks in advance
    Jimmy

DIG

Re: What to do, what to do...

You should be able to get the sunbeam duo for that much. Unfortunately, you have just missed out on a special deal where the grinder was thrown in (finished 2nd Sept), but I think if you haggle, you should be able to buy both for less than $700. I bought my 6910 a week ago for $545 (including the free grinder as part of the offer, by redemption from Sunbeam). The grinder retails at about 200, but you may be able to argue the price down to $150 as part of a package. I am really enjoying the 6910, it is clearly a level above the smaller/cheaper $200 machines that you see everywhere. It is taking a while to get it working reliably well, but already it is showing what it can do. THe 0480 grinder is also good, although some folks have had a bit of trouble with unacceptable variability and drift in the settings, but I havent had this problem in the 4 months I have owned my grinder. The 6910 has a pretty good milk steamer too, so good for hot chocolates!

Hi Jimmy,

Yep on that budget you cant really beat the 6910 for a brand newie. Id recommend having a read through http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/sunbeam-silvia/ before you take the plunge though. Not so much for the comparison with the Silvia because unless you get a second-hand one itll probably be out of your price range, but more to pick up the various pros and cons with the 6910. The At A Glance list is a good one-stop shop in this regard but Id recommend reading the whole thing. Some of those things may be big issues for you and youd probably rather know now than later.

However if youre prepared to consider a second-hand unit, then the Silvia may be another unit to consider. I got my own second-hand from the Hardware For Sale section here on CS; as with most CS-owned machines, it was in as-new condition and had been maintained well, but only cost me $500 instead of $750.

Greg

The other machine in that price range you could consider is a new Gaggia Classic - not as pretty as the others but it performs very well.

Good point Lucinda Official CS Champion of the GCRC (Gaggia Classic Recognition Cause)

Well, somebody has to do it - and even when I upgrade I will still recommend them ;D

OK so it looks as though the sunbeam will be the deal, My wife telling our friends that I make better coffee than the place down the road... So it wont be too many paydays away!

The grinder however seems to have its faults!!! any thoughts ?

Can you stretch the budget a bit further and go for a Silvia, Ive had one for a couple of months now and the espresso has been great. Once you get your grind and tamp right it produces consistent heaven!!
    Think about it.....................
    cheers
    Greenman

Quote Originally Posted by greenman link=1189122468/0#7 date=1189343044
    Can you stretch the budget a bit further and go for a Silvia, Ive had one for a couple of months now and the espresso has been great. Once you get your grind and tamp right it produces consistent heaven!!
    Think about it.....................
    To be quite honest, unless you are able to buy the older version of the Silvia with the replaceable boiler element, Id go with the SB 69xx or a Gaggia Classic in that price range. The newer Silvias have a homogeneous Boiler/Element so that when the element eventually fails, you have to cough up for a whole new boiler assembly at around the $300 mark, and to me this is a real negative when considering total cost of ownership over time.

As with everything though, its each to his/her own but I think its worth considering the TCO part of the equation when you are spending money in this ballpark...

Mal.

you have to cough up for a whole new boiler assembly at around the $300 mark
    The $300.00 boiler replacement price has been quoted here before, if correct, then we are being ripped off because they are not that price overseas.
    PS I have seen some posts stating the original combined boiler/element is no longer available and needs to be replaced with a kit comprising latest boiler, thermostats and steam pipe, maybe this is where the $300.00 is coming from, I wish some one in the know would clear it up as a $300.00 replacement cost is certainly of putting.