Thread: Sunbeam super autos

Sunbeam super autos

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all,

So, after much pleading on my side, my folks have gone against my advice and decided to buy a super automatic. Yes, i know, shock horror etc, but what can you do right? :(

Anyway. Ive been looking for them, and reckon the two sunbeam supers look good, has anyone got anything to say about them, and the reason between the $100 price difference? Im talking about the EM8800 and 8910 i think.

Any replys would be great, even if just to moan about more people buying supers! ;)

Thanks

Des

TC

Re: Sunbeam super autos

Quote Originally Posted by Iconiq link=1207532743/0#0 date=1207532743
    Hey all,

So, after much pleading on my side, my folks have gone against my advice and decided to buy a super automatic. Yes, i know, shock horror etc, but what can you do right? *:(

Anyway. Ive been looking for them, and reckon the two sunbeam supers look good, has anyone got anything to say about them, and the reason between the $100 price difference? Im talking about the EM8800 and 8910 i think.

Any replys would be great, even if just to moan about more people buying supers! *;)

Thanks

Des
    Hi Des,

I hear that Sunbeam make a pretty good toaster *;D

Ill start the heartbreak (breakdown) clock for you right away!

If it has to be a superauto, spend the $$$ and buy a Jura

Chris

If it were my money Id be spending it on a grinder! Sadly, its the tightest budget youve ever seen, and im just able to FORCE them to the 600 mark! I might have to add a bit to get the 8910 if it makes better coffee... Just so you know what im dealing with, they drink instant unless im at home!!!

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Iconiq link=1207532743/0#2 date=1207533720
    If it were my money Id be spending it on a grinder! Sadly, its the tightest budget youve ever seen, and im just able to FORCE them to the 600 mark! I might have to add a bit to get the 8910 if it makes better coffee... Just so you know what im dealing with, they drink instant unless im at home!!!
    Id suggest a plunger, fresh coffee and a great grinder ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1207532743/0#3 date=1207533830

Id suggest a plunger, fresh coffee and a great grinder ;)

Ill second that!!!

Or just tell them to keep drinking instant (and give you the $600 ;))...... the super autos in that price bracket will be well and truly heartbreak city..... costing heaps to keep operating (that is when they are) and producing coffee not much better than premium instant (if there is such a thing! ::))

Basically anything less than a Jura is a waste of money.

Really?!? That bad huh :o

Ha ha, yeah... The old man has a plunger already, but my ma likes lattes and cappas so I figure the super is the way to go...

Iconig.

Do a google search for superautomatic whith site:coffeesnobs.com.au is the criteria.....

More expensive superautos than what you are looking at have had lots written about them by their (ex)owners..... none of it good! Many have spent more time in for repair than operational...... You will find some have actually got a half decent coffee out of one.... but with a lot of fiddling with grind and dose settings.... just like you need to with a manual.....

Most require special cleaning agent which need to be used fairly often and these are pretty expensive.......

It isnt just a walk up and press the button machine (and if used that way wont last long.... and will make very poor coffee)....

There is a reason a reasonable manual machine costs the sort of money you are looking at spending..... and a superautomatic is far more complex.... so if you spend $2K you will get a reasonable one.... but similar money to a manual ::) ::)...... Ill leave you to figure that out!

DONT USE

hi des

the 8910 has a LCDl display and the customer can fiddle with the settings more

the sunbeam auto is not a recomended buy

BIG W had the gagia syncrony logic on special for about $699 this is the best pick for the price
    single thermoblock with pump assisted steam, able to froth 1 litre milk jug so you can make two white coffees, (basic machine)
    when these run out your next step is the

Saeco Odea Go
    single thermoblock with pump assisted steam
    RRP $999
    sell for $849

Saeco Odea Giro
    RRP $1199
    sell for $1050
    twin thermoblock

Jura C5
    single thermoblock
    RRP $1595

the Saeco is a easier machine to froth milk using a milk jug, than the jura

Gaggia , Spidem are all made by Saeco with the saeco making better coffee and the new ones are easier to use.
    the solis has the same internals as well.
    the brew group is removable for cleaning

the jura is the same as the early krups automatics
    have to rely on inbuilt cleaning system

graham

Thanx thats pretty much what im looking for.

So you reckon the gagia syncrony logic beats the EM8800? For an extra $100 id probably be able to get them to go for it...

Thanxs for your help!

If you absolutely cant afford a Jura, then the Sunbeam is a decent "cheap" alternative.

Coffeeco has a review if you do a little searching.

Is a bit out of date but worth reading. Skip down to about 2/3 way down and there is an interesting section on the internal operations of the Saeco (e.g. what Gaggias use) versus the Sunbeam.

Take home message is the Sunbeam has a bigger basket and therefore produces stronger coffee than the Saeco mechanism. Sunbeam also has a decent Solis burr mechanism in the grinder.

I was in a department store today just browsing the coffee machine area and the salesperson said dont look at these (sunbeam autos) as the have many boiler leak problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1207532743/0#10 date=1207742753
    I was in a department store today just browsing the coffee machine area and the salesperson said dont look at these (sunbeam autos) as the have many boiler leak problems.
    Hmmm, thats interesting,
    as far as I know all Sunbeam autos only have thermoblocks, which is not a boiler.
    They might have had some problems with leaks,
    but to call it boiler leaks.......could be misleading,
    poor training or deliberate attempt to sway purchase decision with dodgy info???

Bullitt

DONT USE

most people dont know the difference between a boiler and a thermoblock and to say it has a thermoblock confuses a lot of people
    most people know what a boiler is
    sunbeam has a thermoblock and yes the sales person is correct.
    the problem is being looked into

salesperson said dont look at these (sunbeam autos) as the have many boiler leak problems
    graham