Thread: Best Machine in this Range

Best Machine in this Range

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there,

Im a newbie here, i didnt realise it was such a big world here! so much info on coffees! Great Site.

I dont know heaps about making coffee, but do know a thing or 2 about consuming.

What is the best machine/complete set up money can by in this category price range. Ideally i am looking to spend up to $1000, but can stretch a bit if one is really so much better.

Seems like a lot of talk here for the Sunbeam 6910. Is this the best in the category despite being cheaper then many others. It is heaps of hassle to have the grinder separate/does the one on offer with it EM0480 work well?

I drink milk coffees - need around 6 a day. Dont mind noise/space as has been mentioned in other threads.

thanks!

Re: Best Machine in this Range

The Sunbeam is a capable machine and the deals at the moment for under $600 including a grinder are pretty good.
    However, they are an appliance and not built to last, spending $$ on a better machine could be more cost efficient in the long run.
    For a budget around $1200-1300 you could get a Silvia/Rocky combo which makes very good espresso and built to last the test of time.
    Im sure you will plenty more advice from fellow CSers, good luck with your search.............................gm

Ali

I have a 6910 - it is my first machine and Im really happy with it. Im still coping with a bad grinder so looking forward to buying a new one and seeing what the machine can do with properly ground coffee.

I only make 1-2 coffees a day and in 6 months my machine hasnt skipped a beat.

Theres lots of info and friendly advice here :)

I have seen another post on the merits of the
    Lelit Combi I think it also goes by name Nemox Dell Opera for about $800

This is a sponsors site with the info
    http://(no free plug here)/nemox-dell-opera-p-106.html?osCsid=1ec8964726d99daa1f7cc20d839530f0

KK

Thanks for the response.

I was wondering what is the thought about "Automatic" machines. Not auto milk steaming but auto grind/extraction.

I know they are not that good, but will they give you a decent coffee? which one would you recommend?

M-This,

You are correct - they are not that good unless you are willing to pay big dollars and get something like a Jura.... And that is the ONLY one I would recommend!

The cheap "domestic" ones (appliances - not real coffee machines) are:

incredibly complex pieces of equipment
    contain lots of electronics (which doesnt get on well with water and steam)
    are "built for a price" - a low price to make them attractive!
    quality suffers as a result of price cutting
    reliability suffers (badly) as a result of price cutting
    they require lots of maintenance (both by the owner and the supplier)
    they will cost you heaps during the period you own one....

oh..... and they make pretty average to poor coffee.... at best!!!

Still interested?

I have friends with auto machines and when they visit and have coffee at Cafe Greenman they are amazed at the difference in quality from a true espresso machine.

My boss and his wife got a seaco incanto deluxe, and what do you know the coffee from Maccas and Michels and Gloria Jeans seems to be better than it can produce.
    $1600.00 poorer plus the cost of getting takeaway coffee.
    By the way I was supplying them with freshly roasted Kenyan AA and taking well into second crack [against my better judgement] and they were still saying it wasnt strong enough.

Strong to them might equate to bitter or some other bad taste they are used to.

Dont know Thundergod. I just cant see how a machine can grind, Tamp, pour and clean out the portafilter and not leave any junk behind.

Maybe its the taste of the left over junk they are used to.

From one "green bean" to another I think Koffee Kosmo has nailed it as far as your budget goes if considering new gear. From what I have read (and now read quite a bit) the Lelit will move you a step away from the "appliance" category. Over 1K but less than $1500 and you start looking at a Rancilio machine/grinder package without PID or a great espresso machine with an OK but not "wow" grinder like I have. Having said that, the Sunbeam package on offer appears to cater to multiple milk based drinks at a decent price so might be a good option at least in the short to medium term.

psaigh

Spend up big on the grinder and get whatever machine you can with whats left over.

Also, super-autos (using good quality whole beans) will get you a "decent morning cuppa". It will be completely devoid of all those culinary nuances were all yapping on about but shouldnt be bitter and will prob be better than 90% of cafes out there (a sad fact). Sunbeams entry level super-auto isnt too bad (around $800), though to be honest, with so many tiny little parts, I find they actually end up taking more effort to make a decent cup of coffee (when you equate cleaning and maintenence on the little buggers) than a normal coffee machine.

If I had $1k and was drinking milk-based coffees id prob get a 2nd hand super jolly (can usually pick them up from around 600-650) and get a brevile ikon. Or stretch a little further and go the 6910.

Agree with others to spend what you can on the grinder. Im very happy with the combination of cunill tranquilo grinder and the oscar nuova simonelli machine, which I bought a few years ago after some internet research. A good mid-range option, and works for me.

I cant compare these to anything else. But I know there are numerous machines and grinders that are as good and better, depending on your budget. If you live in a city you might consider going to a shop (I suggest a site sponsor) to look at and get their advice on the different options.