Thread: EM6910 dry puck?

EM6910 dry puck?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have been using an EM6910 for the last 2 months and am pretty happy with it. However, the puck is never dry after a shot, which makes me wonder whether Im doing something wrong. Ive played around with dose, grind and tamping pressure a bit but it doesnt make any difference.
    Ive also noticed that a bit of water come through the grouphead after the shot switches off (either uisng the manual or the single shot button), so Im wondering if this could be the problem. If so, is this a leak that needs repairing?
    As a newbie, I look forward to your help.

Re: EM6910 dry puck?

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

I know you said youve played with the grind but it sounds like too fine a grind to me.

If you leave the PF attached while you are frothing the milk you sometimes get some water into the PF and it looks like a wet puck, otherwise as TG said you are probably grinding to fine. The water coming down after you have switched the pour off is just the residue left in the pipes from the pour. Unless it is substantial then it may be a problem. :-/

Thanks guys. If I grind any coarser, the shot pours much too quickly and the pressure gauge reads low. Do you suggest I compensate by increasing the dose and/or tamping harder?
    ( I do leave the PF attached while frothing; maybe I should check this first?)

What grinder are you using??

Sunbeam EM0480

I know numbers are only a guide bu8t I was grinding at about 12 - 15 for espresso depending on the bean. *

Have you checked how hard you are tamping on a scale?

Few questions
    1. What do you mean by " never dry". Does the puck come away from the PF cleanly & complete, or are you saying there is liquid on top.
    2. Do you hear the pressure discharge (into the drip tray) when you stop the brew ? i.e. is the pressure release valve working.
    In my experience if I have the grind too coarse or have undertamped then I have a messy puck, and grinds left stuck in the PF after banging the "bang box", and an under extracted shot.
    A picture or 2 would help to analyse.
    Cheers

The 6910 likes updosing.
    How much clearance is there from the top of the puck to the top of the basket after tamping?
    I have found that about 3mm works well with the double basket.

Hi evermac

I have two friend with the EM and one has the same problem and the other doesnt. We tried everything and it made little difference, we even used the beans and the grinder from the guy with a dry puck. Guess what --- no difference. So he took it back to the shop (Domane) and they sent it away. Three weeks later he got it back with a report that there was nothing wrong with it.

So the guy with the slightly wet puck stopped worrying about it and enjoys coffee that is just as good the the other guys.

So I suggest that you try the suggestions that the obove people have made and if that doesnt work dont worry be happy you are still getting great coffee.

Stan, m grinder is set on 10. I havent checked tamping with a scale Should I and, if so, how?
    Techo: there is no liquid on top but the puck doesnt come away cleanly when I bang the PF, theres always some wet grounds that I have to wash away under the tap. I havent noticed the pressure discharge noise, Ill listen out for it tomorrow morning (my next planned coffee). Ill take photos when I have a chance.
    Thundergod: When I went to the Sunbeam course, they said to fill the pf until the silver of the tamper is just visible ( i guess about 5 mm) and I usually fill just a bit more, so I guess im not far off 3 mm.

Im getting a bit confused now, some people say the grind is too fine, others too coarse...

Level sounds OK to me too.

I aim for the pressure guage just hitting the red.
    Where does yours hit?

Rio-Negro: Thanks for telling me your friends experience. It sounds like I dont need to worry too much, but Ive got a few things I can try to pull even better shots!
    Thundergod: My gauge is just beyond the dark brown i.e. between it and the red.

Id be happy with that then (but not less).

Well I have some surface moisture on the puck about 50% of the time but the puck comes away cleanly (leaves a little on the side but does not need washing just dry wip) My gauge is just off the dark brown towards the red otherwise it takes too long to pour (like 1 min). The coffee is good. Grind on the 480 is 15-16. It just goes to show that all machines are diffrent and that it is trial and error with them all. Notice on the DVD that no reference is made to the gauge at all.
    Regards
    Crisp Image

Ive attached before and after photos from this morning. The puck was actually a little drier than usual! Sometimes, theres a lot more coffee left in the PF after knocking it, and the puck never comes away in shape, its more of a sludge.

I dont use the single basket, but that could be the problem.

The shape of it.

Yep get rid of the single. The difrence in the amount of coffee used is no much and you will get a bewtter shot even if you use the single shot button on your machine
    Crisp Image

DONT USE

hi
    single baskets are more likely to leave residue
    the taste of the coffee is the important bit,

the quality of the puck can be used as a guide but is not the important bit
    graham

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1220827494/0#16 date=1220919135
    I dont use the single basket, but that could be the problem.

The shape of it.
    Ive been using the single basket almost exclusively.

It holds 14g of coffee with the level and tamp method so its actually a double!
    The sunbeam "double" is actually a triple that holds a whopping two tablespoons of coffee (20g) with the level+tamp method. Makes me too jittery :p

The puck always comes out in one piece... with a few bits sticking onto the bottom but thats normal i think.

Perhaps TS is overdosing a bit too much. If i filled up my basket the way it is shown on the DVD that comes wiht the machine, I would have to dose, light tamp, dose, light tamp, dose again! then proper tamp.

I find that just dosing and levelling once before tamping is just right.

Checking the tamp pressure - use your bathroom scales and tamp on it - it will show you what pressure you are currently tamping at. It is surprising how little effort is required for a 15kg tamp.

I have read several times here that the tamp pressure should be around 15kg but I stand to be corrected on this. Search the General Coffee Related section you should find a Guru there with the right pressures. With your experiments always keep some things standard each time and vary one thing at a time, such as pressure or grind, this will help you diagnose any problems or find the perfect method for you.

However remember each bean will require adjustment of the grind and this will also change (not a lot) with the freshness of the roast. I am a bit lazy and find towards the end of 500gm roast I have to tamp a little harder or adjust the grind finer. generally I tamp a little harder as I am to lazy to adjust the grind.

Best of luck - like any good hobby/obsession learning is continuous. ::)

Doesnt look to be overly much dregs left in the PF. I notice quite a bit of disturbance to the top of the puck though, which suggests the tamp isnt even and hence the water flow though the puck will be uneven. Try gently bumping the PF down on the bench, preferable on a mat or tea towel, a couple of times to settle the coffee before you tamp. Clear off the excess with your finger to the top level of the PF. When you tamp push the tamper down as firmly and as evenly as you can. I use my index finger and thumb at 12 and 6 oclock, then again at 3 and 9 oclock with a very light half twist to polish the top off. As has been mentioned already the finished tamped PF should be down about 3mm. If the coffee fails to deliver the nominal 3 oz in a nominal 30 seconds then reduce the grind a notch.
    I use both the single and double baskets depending on what I or others feel like, both make great coffee.
    Sounds like your happy with your results so dont get to hung up on the dregs in the PF.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice and encouragement. Im going to follow your suggestions in my continuing search for the ideal shot. Ill let you know when I make it (or when I get into trouble again!).