Thread: Siliva PID not working!

Siliva PID not working!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I installed one of Jims PID (with steam control) around 2-3 months ago on my Siliva.

Things have fine and no problems untils now.

When I switch on the machine, the temperature read out is saying 30 degress and is not increasing. The setpoint in the little LCD screen is still 109 degrees.

So I really dont know what went wrong...

help?!?!?

Re: Siliva PID not working!

mods - I think I put this into the wrong area. sorry.
    Should have been posted under Midrange ($500-$1500).
    My bad.

Is the boiler working at all ie. are you getting hot water?

Site Sponsor

Hi Kasa,

I do these PID installations for our Silvia customers. A few things I would check:
    * wiring: especially the two element connections at the top of the boiler and the blue pair and red pair that come from the relay. Check that these are properly connected.

If this doesnt do it, I would connect up the stock Silvia thermo stats in place of the PID relay - this puts the silvia back to standard temperature control. (to do this, disconnect the blue pair and red pair from the relay and reconnect the brew and steam thermostats- see your original instruction CD if this is not clear) If the Silvia heats, then there is something wrong with the PID installation. If it doesnt, then its something wrong with the Silvia eg element.

As per Jims instructions, Id recommend you take this to a technician to trouble shoot. Only take it on yourself if you are confident and understand and are willing to accept all the risks blah blah ....

charlie

Site Sponsor

Hi again Kasa,

I forgot to mention the "little red" reset button at the top of the boiler. It is actually the first thing to check. If the Silvia overheats, it will trigger and youll need to push it back in.

charlie

Hi, Kasa -

Im a little late in catching up with this thread (but did get your email). *As we discussed, I initially thought that the SSR might have died, but the symptoms you reported in our notes back and forth seem to rule that idea out.

Actually, the symptoms you are seeing are very odd, and not easily explained. *Rather than have you do extensive additional troubleshooting, well just swap out all of the electronics.

For those following along here, the strange behaviour consists of the PID output indicator (small red LED) and the orange heater light on Silvia remaining in sync with each other (this is good) up until the setpoint of 109C is reached. *Then apparently the LED on the PID is continuing to indicate "on", but the orange light on Silvia is "off." *This is not good, and also not easily explained.

Kasa also reports a quick jump in indicated temp, going from 109C to 130C.

He has checked the thermocouple connections, and also done a few tests at my direction to isolate the problem to the SSR (negative results).

So...if anyone has more ideas, lets hear them. *Kasa will have a few days to try them out (if he wants to) while the replacements are in transit.

Jim

Thanks to Jim, seems like my PID is working again...

*fingers crossed*

Looks like the controller might be faulty...

Quote Originally Posted by Kasa link=1220830544/0#6 date=1221921765
    Looks like the controller might be faulty...
    Hmmm, that is a rarity with these devices; theyre pretty near bullet proof.... feeding inappropriate voltages into the wrong terminals aside anyway.

Hope its just a dodgy connection Kasa, or maybe the SSR as Jim suggested but they dont usually behave like this, more likely to fail completely than intermittently; Ive had one of these fail on me once though, also a rarity but I guess shit happens unfortunately. Fingers crossed mate...... :)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1220830544/0#7 date=1221928216
    Hmmm, that is a rarity with these devices; theyre pretty near bullet proof....
    Yeah, a failed controller is really rare (fortunately). *They are surprisingly robust. *Im anxious to see whats going on with it before I send it back to Watlow for repair. *

But at least Kasa is back up and running on the replacement we sent him.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by PIDKits link=1220830544/0#8 date=1221937959
    But at least Kasa is back up and running on the replacement we sent him.

Jim
    Excellent service Jim.... Kudos to you mate 8-)

Mal.