Thread: Dual purpose single boiler machines

TC

Dual purpose single boiler machines

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This thread created for discussion of pros and cons of this class of machine:

Some examples of these machines:[*]A variety of Gaggia machines including the Classic[*]Rancilio Silvia[*]VBM Domobar Vashetta (aka Piccolo/Levetta)[*]Isomac Zaffiro/Isomac Venus[*]Diadema Perfetta (on a technicality as an example of this type of machine- RRP $1650)

Re: Dual purpose single boiler machines

Im struggling to accept a very recent statement made saying that the "Isomac Zaffiro seems to be the only Single Boiler E61 Head Choice for the serious snob!"

Surely there are comparable machines?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis link=1222481489/0#1 date=1222484908
    Im struggling to accept a very recent statement made saying that the "Isomac Zaffiro seems to be the only Single Boiler E61 Head Choice for the serious snob!"

Yep,

Sounds a bit too far to the right I reckon. Lots of good machines to choose from in Chris list though... 8-)

Mal.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis link=1222481489/0#1 date=1222484908

Agreed....a rather unusual statement if ever I have seen one... :-?

I am a satisfied Silvia owner, she produces consistently good espresso and milk drinks, I know her limitations but she suits my requirements.
    I can manage up to 4 milk based drinks when I have guests over comfortably, more than that and it gets to be a challenge.
    Since adding a PID to control brew temp and steaming it has made life a lot easier cutting out the temp surfing variable.
    I will be sticking with Silvia unless I come into copious amounts of $$ in the future, perhaps then a HX?

I have a Gaggia Classic at home atm. I love these machines for their simplicity, inside and out, and I think they represent good value for the price.

Like all machines (and people), they have their quirks.

Apart from price difference, I think choice of any of these models will ultimately come down to matching the machine with the personality and preferences of the owner.

hehehehe a bloke goes away for a few quiet days in the sun and comes back to....a good old case of controversy!

Dennis thanks for making a very intelligent statement *"...I think choice of any of these models will ultimately come down to matching the machine with the personality and preferences of the owner....." This is basically what we tell people who want to know what our line of work is..........!

That said there are of course differences between all the offerings from the various manufacturers and some of them really are better than others....from a technical point of view. It could be in the areas of standard of finish, or standard of design & build, or ability to produce a quality coffee or whatever.............. but people dont buy machines on the basis of comparisons of all these things because in many cases, they actually havent lined them all up to compare and are making choices based on what theyve read of other individuals recommendations (and these individuals all have their own bias), *so we have to go back back to the statement above and in many instances, an emotional choice to suit the individual. And lets not forget, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

As to the statement made by one of our sponsors and that Dennis also referred to, I dont think any of our members are going to see it as anything other than a harmless sales pitch line in consideration of where the comment was made (Sponsors *Presentation Area). We all can get carried away from time to time when doing our sales pitches!

And yes there are comparable machines, 2 of them are named above and we will be happy as always to supply one of ours (Diadema Perfetta) to the sponsor concerned for their evaluation.

Regardz to all,
    Attilio
    first / original CS site sponsor.

Site Sponsor

Hi all,

We believe that statement has been taken out of context... :-[

Reading the entire sentence: "Now that the Domobar Piccolo is hard to come by with and its price has gone up.." Di Bartolis intention was only to point out that this is the only e61 group head single boiler machine currently available on its range, as the amended post would now indicate.

This was definitely not to comment / compare any other e61 single boiler brands or models available in Australia, and most certainly not to comment on the Perffeta mentioned in this thread, as it is currently not in our range and we had no experience operating it nor are in a position to make any professional comments about its performance.

Thanks Atilio for assigning to it the human factor, as it is exactly what it was... re the perfetta, we will be looking forward to the opportunity to test drive it ourselves if we can, getting familiar with its performance and allowing members to opertae it on our bench, thus finding out how this model matches up with their personality and preferences. Please contact us to explore that opportunity. *

Good to know sponsorship area does get some attention occasionally.. ;)

Ofra & Renzo

TC

Just wishing to correct an earlier statement made in the forum regarding the number of group handles which ship with various machines.

The Perfetta does ship with both single and double group handles and baskets.

regards

Chris