Thread: HELP Newbie not sure what to buy !!!!

HELP Newbie not sure what to buy !!!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Not sure which way to go. *Noticed a lot on forum have EM6910 but Breville BES820 very similar not sure which way to go. *Feed back on personal experience and suggestions would be great, want to make sure make the right decision. *:) Or if you have suggestions on other machines around the price same bracket, recommendations on grinders would be a great help too. *8-)

Re: Tossing up a Sunbeam EM6910 or Breville BES820

Hi Bloomlea,

Firstly, THANKYOU for asking BEFORE purchasing! Its no fun to have to burst someones bubble telling them they just wasted $600 on a glorified boat-anchor.

From what Breville say about the 820 on their site, 6910 every step of the way. Its in a totally different league to the Breville. For starters the 6910 has dual thermoblocks (one for brewing, one for milk) whereas the Breville only has one thermoblock that must be used for both purposes (nothing wrong with that in itself but its a lot slower than one for each). Like the Breville, the 6910 comes with dual wall / pressurized / crema enhancing baskets designed to make stale pre-ground supermarket coffee appear to give the same results as fresh coffee (which it doesnt anyway), but the 6910 also comes with regular baskets that allow you the best results from fresh coffee. The Breville doesnt have a standard commercial sized portafilter as the 6910 has either, so you cant just run out and buy regular basket in their place. The 6910 with its commercial sized portafilters means you can change baskets if you want (not that theres anything wrong with the factory single wall / unpressurized / real filter baskets), plus if you end up getting a better tamper for your 6910 theres every chance youll be able to use it if you upgrade your machine down the track.

There are a heap more reasons but Ill stop there. The only reason I can think of getting the Breville is if you liked the looks better. But if good quality coffee is anywhere near the top of your list, the Breville shouldnt be a consideration. For $100 more ($RRP) the 6910 is 10 times better. Frankly Im pretty disappointed at Breville - I believe they were trying to make a 6910 beater out of the 820 and had the opportunity to do some great things, but they appear to have simply added a couple of features to the already pedestrian BES800 and stay well and truly in the low-end home market with a price tag at the top end. Seriously whats the point of a pressure gauge if you just force the same pressure by using pressurised baskets? It says a lot about the whole machine - plenty of bling and shine but no substance.

Finally, there are plenty of 6910 users here who can help out if you have any problems. The same cant be said for the Breville - and thats no coincidence.

Greg

I am new to all this but I love a great coffee - latte, mocha and short blacks. I will be using whole beans not pre ground.

I am getting confused with the terminolgy, what do you mean unpressurised and pressurised. Is there a link to this site where you can learn the ins and out about the terminolgy / different parts of a coffee machine. As it does get a bit confusing.

The more I read within the site the harder it is getting to make the right decision on our purchase, I wish my budget was more flexible. It is an awesome sight I am glad I have come across CS.

Another thing I am considering is my children love hot chocolates so it would be great to make a good hot chocolate rather than heating it up in the microwave.

The 6910 is quite capable of making hot chocolates and Id consider it safer than using the microwave.

Pressurised baskets are used with pre-ground supermarket bought coffee.
    Thay have a double walled bottom.
    The inside bottom is full of holes and the outside bootom only has one.
    All the coffee then has to squeeze out of the one hole into your cup.
    Its like squirting a hose.
    This gives a fake crema as it forces the coffee to "fizz" up.

Unpressurised baskets (real baskets) are used with freshly grounds beans to make real coffee.

The 6910 comes with a set of both types so you can simply not open the box containing the pressurised baskets.

One thing youll learn quickly is that theres always something better you can buy :) Realistically though, the upper end is out of reach for most of us for at least a while, and certain machines in the $500-$1000 range can still do a very good job. If thats your budget at the moment then the 6910 is certainly one unit to consider. The Rancilio Silvia is the other that gets recommended often. If you want a bit more information about them both theres a review at www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/sunbeam-silvia/

The other thing is to make sure you have a good grinder. By that I mean *at least* the Sunbeam EM0450 but preferably better. I presume you must have something since youre planning to use whole beans - what grinder do you have? If the grinders not up to the task then debating which machine to get is pretty pointless as none of them will give good results from poorly ground coffee.

Greg

No we have to get a grinder also. * Been checking out other links on this site for the last 2 hous and wondering if we are better of with a HX. *Bit out of our budget, so I would have to look 2nd hand. *Oh this is confusing and frustrating as I would love to be able to texture milk also.

Or do we just go the Silvia. I noticed there is still one available on the hardware thread with grinder.????? :o

Re: HELP Newbie not sure what to buy !!!!

The Sunbeam, having the dual thermoblocks allows you to texture milk while the coffee is pouring.
    I had a similar experience. The more you read on here, the more confused you get, and the more you want to spend on a machine.
    We got a 6910, and got a Rancilio Rocky grinder. We nearly got a Silvia instead of the 6910, but it was a bit pricey, and we realised from CS that we should spend the extra on the grinder, (as we were going to get the Sunbeam 0480 grinder).
    Been very happy with both, which is a pleasant surprise, as we had problems with a Sunbeam 8910 auto machine.

I started participating at CS because my old coffee machine sprung a leak and I wanted to upgrade. I was considering the EM6910 and wanted to get additional information to make sure it was a coffee machine that would suit me. The amount of information made me hesitate and re-evaluate my strategy. Many people were not afraid to point out any and all areas where they see a possibility for improvement. I evaluated the criticisms together with suggested workarounds and then put the resulting "report" into perspective given the price tag. This exercise took me a week or two of indecision and dithering before I decided that a combination of EM6910 and EM0480 would do me.

I did my homework on pricing and managed to get the Good Guys in Chatswood to price match over the phone. The machine plus a "free" grinder via redemption offer for $570. The coffee machine was ready to collect from the store in 2 days time, the coffee grinder took about 8 weeks to arrive. When I checked the Good Guys junk mail catalogue a week or two after I made my purchase, their published price moved from $699 to $570. It looks like now that the "free" coffee grinder offer is over, the prices have gone up to $599, but there is a $30 cashback offer from Sunbeam.

So, after owning and using the machine for a month or two, I can report that I am very happy with the choice. The lower thermal mass results in a reasonably quick startup time, which I certainly appreciate. The reliability and build quality has been questioned a number of times. For what its worth, my unit does not appear to have any obvious manufacturing issues or signs of "el-cheapo" production/design values. As far as reliability is concerned, only time will tell. My previous machine lasted 12 years before any problems appeared and in that time it did not require any spare parts at all, not even a replacement seal. On average I make about three coffees a day.

Hello,
    After reading through lots of posts on this site, we just purchased the EM6910 and EM450. It was a bit out of our budget but very happy so far with the decision. I ended up being barista at my daughters birthday party on the weekend (for the adults!). It saved alot of time with the semi-auto buttons and being able to do the milk at the same time. Friends and family were very impressed.

Peteru, I bought from Good Guys Chatswood as well for $570. I remember seeing a sign about the $30 cashback but forgot to ask. How did you claim it?

Also, can you recommend anywhere local to buy fresh beans. Id like to try some samples first to find a favourite and work out the right setting on the grinder. Thanks!

Congratulations on your new purchase. You might try ordering from the Bean Bay (ie the buttons at the top of the CS website) and try a sample pack though it is a good idea to stick with one bean type for a month or so when learning how to dial in a grinder and pour shots.

When buying off the shelf, check if you can see a roast date. If you cant its probably best to avoid that bean. Generally, the smallest bean quantity you can buy is 250g but some have reported buying smaller lots from their local deli.