Thread: Stuck while cleaning Silvia

Stuck while cleaning Silvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I guess it has been a while since I last removed the shower head (hasten to add that *I have been backflushing, etc. and my head being like a sieve, I needed to Google for instructions, just in case something needs doing I forgot. Now I wish I hadnt. *I found this page: http://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/e...ncilio-silvia/ and attempted to follow the instructions, however the only thing that "fell out" was the shower screen. *The brass water dispersion ring wont budge. *So, I did some more Googling and found http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/39475 *So, my question is, is the water dispersion ring removable or not?

Re: Stuck while cleaning Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by Judy link=1227458536/0#0 date=1227458536
    *So, my question is, is the water dispersion ring removable or not?
    Yes, it should just fall off once youve removed the shower screen. If its been a long time since you removed the shower screen the dispersion ring may be stuck on by the gunk thats built up. Youll have to try shifting the dispersion ring with a bit more force, I guess. Or maybe if you can slip something under the side you can lever it off? But theres nothing mechanical holding it on once the shower screen comes off, so if you can loosen it sufficiently gravity should do the rest.

So, my question is, is the water dispersion ring removable or not?
    I think it depends on what model Silvia you have. I know that part is removable on the newer model (2007 onwards, ie. the POD adaptable one) but I dont think it was removable on the models before that.

Actually, what I said wasnt entirely correct. There is a stainless-steel "water spreader" that should come out as well.

That brass piece shown in the 5th photo on that first link of yours is only applicable to the later model Silvias. In the earlier models that piece is integral to the grouphead and not removable.

The stainless-steel piece shown in the 7th photo though IS removable in ALL Silvia models.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Thanks for clarifying that, Bill. I have a newer model Silvia, so the brass dispersion ring does come off. Obviously Judys is the older one. Well hopefully - at least that would explain why her dispersion ring isnt detaching.

Site Sponsor

Hi Judy,

Hope the Silvia clean is going well. I have edited the cleaning instructions to make note of the fact that on older Silvias, that brass disc is part of the head and wont "drop out". The Silvia in the photos was a 2007 model, just prior to the OPV adjustable model of 2008.

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack Espresso link=1227458536/0#5 date=1227483887
    The Silvia in the photos was a 2007 model, just prior to the OPV adjustable model of 2008.
    Actually the OPV adjustable model came out in 2007. I know this because the one I bought one in 2007 had the adjustable OPV on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill link=1227458536/0#2 date=1227476093
    So, my question is, is the water dispersion ring removable or not?
    I think it depends on what model Silvia you have. I know that part is removable on the newer model (2007 onwards, ie. the POD adaptable one) but I dont think it was removable on the models before that.
    Aha! *Mine is 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill link=1227458536/0#3 date=1227481035
    Actually, what I said wasnt entirely correct. There is a stainless-steel "water spreader" that should come out as well.

That brass piece shown in the 5th photo on that first link of yours is only applicable to the later model Silvias. In the earlier models that piece is integral to the grouphead and not removable.

The stainless-steel piece shown in the 7th photo though IS removable in ALL Silvia models.

I hope that clarifies things for you.
    Yes, thank you very much. All the other bits did come off, it was just that copper bit that didnt

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack Espresso link=1227458536/0#5 date=1227483887
    Hi Judy,

Hope the Silvia clean is going well. I have edited the cleaning instructions to make note of the fact that on older Silvias, that brass disc is part of the head and wont "drop out". The Silvia in the photos was a 2007 model, just prior to the OPV adjustable model of 2008.

charlie
    ;D I didnt realise I found instructions from a fellow snob ;D To be honest, I didnt even notice the "au" at the end of the link. It is a very good, clear instruction. Thank you

Thank you everyone for the help. *Just as well I am "detoxing" atm (well, trying to get into a dress by Sunday, for a wedding Im going to *:D) so Im only drinking this lemon drink - no coffee, otherwise *I would have been most upset about my Silvia it bits for a day. * ::)