Thread: Cleaning Rancilio Silvia?

Cleaning Rancilio Silvia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

Have had my silvia since June and was trying to work out whether I should backflush it with cleaning solution? I have been told that nasty things could go wrong :-/ Any thoughts on how I can clean the silvia?

thanks

Re: Cleaning Rancilio Silvia?

make google your friend, or do a search here. theres bound to be a stack of info re miss silvia. yeah, the manual says not to backflush - but most people (the informed ones) do chemical backflush. some do it daily, weekly, bi monthly, etc. depends on usage .

while i wont give u a money back guarantee, backflushing miss silvia is safe (providing you follow some solid backflushing advice, eg not leaving the pump running for a long time with a blind filter). its probably more simple than you imagine.

cheers

aaron

Im pretty sure theres some good guides to anti-calcing and backflushing around, but havent gone searching yet. Id be keen to find out too, so let me know if you come up with something.

KJM

When I had mine, I backflushed weekly. About monthly(ish) Id remove the showerscreen and do a full on clean with cafetto.

My sister has a Silvia and has never backflushed it. It was no longer working so well :o Removal of the showerscreen was a bit of a shocker! I ended up disassembling the 3 way valve to remove the built up crud.

All in all it took probably an hour or so. Miss Silvia is a pretty simple machine.

/Kevin