Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EM6910 Group head seal?

EM6910 Group head seal?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Long shot I know...but would anyone have a spare Group head seal (the blue rubber ring?) for a EM6910 I can buy or replace from you as Sunbeam is out of stock at the moment and Im in desperate need for the Christmas break!!!

Christmas Miracles??????

Thanks!!!!

Re: EM6910 Group head seal?

Happy to be Santas little helper this year. PM sent....

On its way....

Hi Flatwhite, *I am looking for one of these for a EM6900, not sure if its the same or not. Do you have a stock? Im happy to pay for it,

All the best
    -=T=-

turrican welcome to Coffee Snobs.

I think fw was being generous; hes not a supplier as far as I know.

The 6910 seal will fit the 6900.
    Where are you?
    You might have a Sunbeam agent nearby.

Thanks TG,

Yes, I am not a supplier - although having sold a portafilter and an EM0480 before this, I am starting to feel like one. I happened to have an unused spare from my old machine which I sold to Smitten.
    If anyone needs one, by the way, I have a couple of brand new, unused 6910 drip trays!!

thanks guys, Ive tried a few suppliers but no-one seems to have any stock at the moment which is little frustrating....miss my espresso!! Guess Ill have to make do with the plunger for a while, either that or buy a 6910, not sure the wife would agree.

Cheers
    -=t=-

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by turrican link=1229919561/0#6 date=1230523945
    thanks guys, Ive tried a few suppliers but no-one seems to have any stock at the moment which is little frustrating....miss my espresso!! *Guess Ill have to make do with the plunger for a while, either that or buy a 6910, not sure *the wife would agree.

Cheers
    -=t=-
    Has it split or just leaking ?

If leaking you can cut a spacer and that can get you by for a little while...

Remember if a new seal does not fix it, then there is a good chance your collar will need to be replaced...

not sure if its split, but its definitley leaking. Ill remove it and take a look. If its the collar do you know how much that is to replace?

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1229141920/0#6 date=1229231570
    If its outside warranty then its a tad expensive.

I managed to see the invoice the agent was charging Sunbeam for my repair.
    From memory the collar itself was only about $30 but the labour was another $70.
    So Id say a minimum of $100.

fix (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=fix) may be able to confirm if this is about the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by 774B564D474651444C47230 link=1229919561/9#9 date=1230533462
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1229141920/0#6 date=1229231570
    If its outside warranty then its a tad expensive.

I managed to see the invoice the agent was charging Sunbeam for my repair.
    From memory the collar itself was only about $30 but the labour was another $70.
    So Id say a minimum of $100.

fix (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=fix) may be able to confirm if this is about the right price.
    Thanks - Ive removed the seal and its split, so looks like thats the problem. Ive called all the suppliers in Sydney area (list supplied by sunbeam) and they have no clue when they expect stock of this item. Called sunbeam and they reckon 2-3 weeks, no happy about that!

-=t=-

Quote Originally Posted by 39383F3F242E2C234D0 link=1229919561/10#10 date=1231888948
    Thanks - Ive removed the seal and its split, so looks like thats the problem.Ive called all the suppliers in Sydney area (list supplied by sunbeam) and they have no clue when they expect stock of this item.Called sunbeam and they reckon 2-3 weeks, no happy about that!

-=t=-
    Order 2 of them!

Having a spare is a good idea and they are hopefully not too pricey. Group seals for my machine are less than $6 each.

Quote Originally Posted by 60677264697F59373F3F3F060 link=1229919561/11#11 date=1231890115
    Quote Originally Posted by 39383F3F242E2C234D0 link=1229919561/10#10 date=1231888948
    Thanks - Ive removed the seal and its split, so looks like thats the problem.Ive called all the suppliers in Sydney area (list supplied by sunbeam) and they have no clue when they expect stock of this item.Called sunbeam and they reckon 2-3 weeks, no happy about that!

-=t=- *
    Order 2 of them!

Having a spare is a good idea and they are hopefully not too pricey. Group seals for my machine are less than $6 each.
    I bought one and was surprised how expensive it was. Think it was about $20.

yep, $20 is correct, I will be buying a couple for sure, dont want to be without the beast for this long ever again.

A_M

Confirmed *~$20 * give or take a few cents...

More than any others that I have previously had, but in addition have only had to change ONE in 18 months... *New Blue type.

I guess cleaning and how hard you lock the PF in and if you leave the PF locked in all the time will have a negative impact...

I have a spare and two on order... Late Jan expected for delivery..

I also have a USED one *that *had about 6 mths use...

So if your desperate PM me and I can send it on...

NOTE: Level of desperation is directly proportional to any Fair Crack donations :D

A_M

Thanks for the PM...

PM * or e-mail me your Address... Can post in the morning...

Make a *donation to FairCrack *;)

UPDATE: */me has left for the PO... Should have it by Friday ?

Really cant thank you enough. This is truly a great community here, so glad to be part of it. Will definitely donate to Faircrack.

All the best AngerMgmt
    -=t=-

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7E7F787863696B640A0 link=1229919561/16#16 date=1231925828
    Really cant thank you enough. *This is truly a great community here, so glad to be part of it. *Will definitely donate to Faircrack.

All the best AngerMgmt
    -=t=-
    If I had to wait a week or two for a seal and that was between me and a coffee... *I would be going spare....

Was hand delivered to the PO and in a padded bag... *No note or fancy packaging ... Just a seal * ;D

Go to the Bean bay and then Other stuff to select Faircrack...

done!, thanks again. *

A_M

Did it arrive in time for the weekend ?

sure did, I got it Friday. Was so excited to fit it on Friday as soon as I got home from work.....however, its still spewing water out. Im guessing the collar is actually broken after all (even though the old seal was split)....really cheesed off, this is the second time its broken, luckily first time was within warranty (after about 6 months). Ill probably get it fixed as I cant afford a new machine right now but I think Ill be steering clear of sunbeam. Have no clue what machine to buy to replace it (at a similar price) maybe the silvia?

A_M

So how far around does you Group Handel go...

New should be about 6 -- 7

Worn in about *5:30 *-- 5

Well worn heading to 4

If it is towards 4 then a spacer *and new seal may buy you some time as that indicates a worn collar..

If it is locked tight at 6 and leaking then Split collar...

Note you may be able to call and get the SB hotline to send a spacer.. *I just made my own..

58 ID and OD of 70 *out of some thin material... *Works well as a stop gap.

yep, about 5pm in the locked position. Do you put the spacer above the seal? (effectively lowering it?)

Yes, spacer in first then seal so that the pf still locks against the seal (not the spacer).

ok, Ill see if I can get one from SB, if not Ill make my own. Thanks for the suggestions.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 767770706B61636C020 link=1229919561/24#24 date=1232331749
    ok, Ill see if I can get one from SB, if not Ill make my own. *Thanks for the suggestions.
    I called SB today and they are in short supply...

However I explained that I had a Seal on order but knew there was a delay in availability so was hoping they could help me out..... ;)

So they went and found one to get me through... :)

Quote Originally Posted by 565750504B41434C220 link=1229919561/24#24 date=1232331749
    ok, Ill see if I can get one from SB, if not Ill make my own. *Thanks for the suggestions.
    I even made a temporary one out of cardboard.
    It will get you by for a few weeks until you can get one from Sunbeam.

Quote Originally Posted by 49666F6D7A456966696F6D656D667C080 link=1229919561/25#25 date=1232332243
    Quote Originally Posted by 767770706B61636C020 link=1229919561/24#24 date=1232331749
    I called SB today and they are in short supply...

However I explained that I had a Seal on order *but knew there was a delay in availability so was hoping they could help me out..... *;)

So they went and found one to get me through... :)
    Hey - do you have any pics of the spacer(s) youve made?

Firstly I love my Sunbeam em6910 it has introduced to me to good coffee and has been the most used appliance in my house since when I bought it in November 2007. Recently after returning from holidays it became apparent that the group head seal had come to the end of it life and as the manual says twelve months is usually when it needs replacing.
    No probs I thought ring Sunbeam and get the details of the local agent and get a replacement. Local agent says they are on back order and they have no firm date when they will be available other than the month February. The agent says they also have a number of people waiting for the seals and their machines are US until they arrive. I spoke to someone in Sunbeam and was told they have 672 of these seals on back order, I was also told that their was a new spare parts manager as the previous one had left (I wonder why). I rang their help line and told then how disgusted I was that they could not keep in stock a service item that without it made my machine unusable. I was then told that they were doing everything humanly possible to get the seals , I said that was ridiculous and then phone was hung up on me ( air freight the seals directly from the manufacturer). I have also learned that Sunbeam have had numerous complaints about this and probably this was why the lass hung up. I had made it clear that I was upset with Sunbeam and not her she just happened to be their ears .
    I have now got my machine going by doing what was suggested here a spacer between the seal and head but that is not what I should be doing.
    The vibes I was getting that this was a Company with some major problems and if I was buying a Sunbeam now i would be very cautious.

It seems Australia is out of 6910 seals - if anyone knows of someone who has some stock of these let me know! It seems the service agents are waiting on Sunbeam and Sunbeam is waiting on China and the delivery date is open ended!

As the Sunbeam EM6910 is by far the most discussed machine on CS, it almost deserves its own dedicated Brewing Equipment Forum area.

A_M

I am in chit chat as to access to some spare parts directly from OS...

Hope to have a couple of slightly different steam pumps on order shortly... So happens that the place also makes Seals for coffee machines AND / OR has an association with a company that does the EM6910 / Sunbeam parts...

E-mail is a bit slow at times, but have asked for $$$ for a shipment of 100 group seals for the EM6910...

Not holding my breath.... However will advise as soon as I get an update..

Only concern is as to the Quality is, if it is OEM or fakes.. However at the indicated $ of the units... 2 or 3 in a year is not an issue...

The initial postage is the killer.

A_M

Was at *Sparkies to day for some parts... And while there the guy on the counter had to explain to a gentleman that they could not return his machine because of NO GROUP SEALS.

The caller was persistent but PLEASANT, which was great to see. He also finished his call without a firm date as to having his system ready.. *I feel for the end user AND for the service agent...

They ring every day ( have been up and down the ladder), he was also advising the customer to call SB..

Thus Poppie and other SB help desk people will be feeling the pinch from unhappy users. *Please remember it is not their fault...

The local service agent have been advised Any day NOW... *However I get the feeling that there is not a great deal of confidence in the answer they are being given.....

I for one am having issues with understanding how an item that has been marketed and taken up by the community, as well as it has; Does not have a responsible spare parts program and supply agreements in place... * As much as I like the product and the support provided to me and many others. The availability of recommended sparts / consumables it is nothing less than Abmismal *:-[

As a community, with lots of SB users.... *Is there any options to add our concerns to the supplier ? *OT and maybe another Thread required...

PS. Anti Calk filters may be in the same boat

I Hope "any day" is coming soon!

I phoned up Sunbeam NZ today, the girl at the end of the ph indicated it would be several weeks before the seal would be available. I was a "little" grumpy at her that I wouldnt be able to use my machine for several weeks, she put me through to the CS manager. He said he would get a seal sent out in the next day to CHCH. Maybe they have a secret stash for emergencies.......

Or maybe he gave himself a week of peace and quiet while you wait for it to arrive. When you call back in a week, theyll say - oh, we really couldnt find any! ;-)

tried the spacer thing this afternoon (made it out of a cardboard box), no joy. Maybe I didnt use thick enough cardboard (was just a packet of gravy or something like that). When I locked the PF into place, locked in at about the same point it usually does (past 6 towards 5). Only used the pressurised PF - empty (good to know it is useful for something). It blew as soon as any sort of pressure started to build up.

Hopefully the new seal will arrive soon. Have some new beans from Underground roastery to try. Whilst I can get a coffee using the combination of the old machine and the 6910 for steaming duties, its still not the same......

Sen

My prototype cardboard spacer was made from the cardboard at the back of a spiral notebook.
    Probably about two to three times thicker than a gravy box.
    It worked first go.

Well, new seal arrived at the repair shop this morning. Went in to pick it up, and low and behold, Sunbeam had sent it down with a "No Charge" note.

Will be a long day in the shop today waiting to get home, install and test it out.........

Sen

Good to hear that this story has a happy ending. I bet youll be bouncing off the walls with caffeinated happiness. :D

Hmmm, not happy ending yet.

Is it common to need a spacer with a new seal?

Is exactly the same size as the old one, and locks in at around the same point (5ish) but leaks over the handle when running using the do0uble floor basket (no coffee in it yet). I can reduce the amount of water spilling everywhere by pushing the PF handle a little more to the right, but dont want to push this too much.

Is this a (possible) sig of a worn collar?
    Have I maybe installed it incorrectly?

Sen

Interestingly, just put in the old seal again, and it held more pressure than the new seal before it blew through the spot where it is split. this is bizarre, they look the same???

A_M

Subject: 6910 spacer

trying to find the size to make another spacer for the 6910 but cant seem to locate the post with it in, cant recall if it was your post or TGs?
    Do you know what size the spacer needs to be?

I think it was 57mm x 70mm, but could be wrong

Thanks

Sen

Actual SB spacer for the Group seal...

58mm x 70mm x 1mm made of a soft Si material...

cheers

made a cardboard one, leakege is reduced, but still evident, have to push teh group handle quite firmly into the locked position (more firmly than what I was used to).

Have sent SB an email through their website tonight, hopefully something can be sorted ASAP

It did make a shot, but there was evidence of spillage still out of the top of the PF, so definitely not fixed yet....

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 04323936233825570 link=1229919561/43#43 date=1234860397
    cheers

made a cardboard one, leakege is reduced, but still evident, have to push teh group handle quite firmly into the locked position (more firmly than what I was used to).

Have sent SB an email through their website tonight, hopefully something can be sorted ASAP

It did make a shot, but there was evidence of spillage still out of the top of the PF, so definitely not fixed yet....
    So how old is your system and how many coffies ?

What is the 3 digit number stamped into the tag / label ?

bought in Oct 07, where is the tag / label?

would have made probably 800 - 1000 coffees I guess (2 a day plus a few more on weekends etc).

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 55636867726974060 link=1229919561/45#45 date=1234862714
    bought in Oct 07, where is the tag / label?

would have made probably 800 - 1000 coffees I guess (2 a day plus a few more on weekends etc).
    Open the rear door... On the R/H side you will see a caution / warning sign... On that label and usually in the black... You will find a 3 digit code..

Find it and it will also indicate as from the manufacture date as to if your group head might be one of the earlier ones...

Bought Oct 07 warranty expires Oct 08 and as we are into 09, I would suggest you may try your luck with Sb... But would not hold my breath. Some have been luckier than others.

code 317

my email to them was basically

can I please have a spacer as I hope this sorts out the problem, but that I suspect it may be a collar issue.

Also acknowledged that it is out of warranty, but given its only a few months out of warranty (bless the consumer guarantees act - not quoted in the email) had moderate use and has been carefully maintained, I would be dissapointed if I was left high and dry.

Will see how it goes. Still paying off this machine thanks to HN, so a replacement is not on the cards

hooray

after a 2nd call to their c/s manager, he couriered me some more spacers (first ones didnt show up after a week), spacers arrived today, installed and pulled a shot with the pressurised filter, all good.

Loaded some coffee and made an espresso, all good, pressure held with the shot almost redlining, was actually a pretty good pour, stopped it at around 25ml in 30 secs. No leakage anywhere and handle is locked in at around 5pmish (feels firmer than with the old seal, but thats a bit subjective).

Looks like the 6910 will live for a while longer, and I have a spare spacer now. Well done to Sunbeam NZ on their service

Sen

Just had a horrific experience with a Sunbeam authorised serivce centre. Basically paid $135 and the machine wasnt fixed at all, they didnt even replace the collar (which I thought the issue was), instead they adjusted it without testing properly. Long, long story short, I got a partial refund and a new collar, just the part, which I fitted myself. While doing so I noted the little pipe which feeds the Espesso guage was split and was shooting water all over the insides. I removed the pipe and bunged up the hole with a cut-up part of an old group-head seal). Machine works great now (didnt use the guage anyway). Ill be formally complaining about the service centre, 3 months of stress resulting in me fixing it myself...still cost me $85 + petrol.....not good

Anyone know of a contact at sunbeam who will listen to my constructive feedback?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast