Thread: alternative baskets for EM6910

alternative baskets for EM6910

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

I read with interest this article http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/sunbeam.html posted in another (heated) thread. In it the author mentions that the basket that comes with the EM6910 can hold up to 28gm as compared with a standard 14gm. I initially thought this was a good thing (other than using churning through my beans quicker) as it would be a richer shot.

However the author mentions that the shots he had from the sunbeam were "one dimensional". I had noted after playing with some beans a friend had given me, In his cafe on his FB80 (I know, its no comparison) the shot was much brighter and had a depth of flavours I just couldnt achieve at home.

Im now wondering if buying a smaller basket for my sunbeam might produce shots closer to those I was seeking. Has anyone replaced the stock standard basket? If so, which one did you buy?

Thanks,
    -ACog

Re: alternative baskets for EM6910

That artilce refers to the EM6900. The baskets have subsequently been downsized and your EM6910 sould come with both single and double-shot bakets. One is inteded for single shots, the bigger one for doubles.

My 6910 came with four baskets, three of which are in the bottom drawer. Ive yet to measure the double shot basket, but have intended on doing so.

So you think the basket that Im using is the best I can do? While the shots are good, I know that the beans are capable of much more and would like to get the best out of this machine.

-ACog

The 6910 baskets arent much smaller than the old ones for the 6900.

When they kept losing baskets at work (in the bin Im guessing) I ended up taking my standard Expobar double basket in to use.
    It fitted fine.
    Therefore, as the Sunbeam takes a standard 58mm basket, you could use any basket you prefer.

Hi ACog
    I agree, the EM6910 does produce 1 dimensional shots, good coffee, but doesnt have the same fullness of flavours that the EuroPiccola can produce (now theres a beast that can control everything). I think its to do with the pressure and water temp. The fall off from the 192F to 165F takes about 5 secs at a 30sec flow rate and the pressure is only controllable by tamp and stalls out quite early.
    From my experience the full flavour is better when the single basket is used ,not too sure why, could be to do with the reduced outlet of the single basket hence the pressure hence the temp etc.

I just dosed my double basket and weighed it. Empty basket is 28grams, dosed it came in at 50grams.

Thats still 22grams of coffee. A heck of a lot more than the golden rule of 14grams, and even then, I think I underdosed ever so slightly.

I heard/read/was told somewhere that you need to watch out for the ridged/ridgless baskets in the 6910 portafilter as some of them dont fit? Does anyone have first hand experience with that?

I think I might order either a synesso, LM or Rancillio standard 14gram basket. Just not sure which one would be best, or am I splitting hairs here?

Quote Originally Posted by ACog link=1230851000/0#5 date=1231044480

I think I might order either a synesso, LM or Rancillio standard 14gram basket. Just not sure which one would be best, or am I splitting hairs here?

Acog,

Its more to do with the design of the machine (showerscreen depth) than basket profile..... By the way 14g is a very "nominal" measure for a double....

A Synesso double is almost exactly the same profile and will hold about 22g (as it does in my La Cimbali)..... amd LM maybe a couple of grams less... and Rancilio ..... maybe a gram less than the LM......

But a different machine..... say a Silvia...... and they all hold a lot less....

But in Espresso land..... more is better..... I always use 22g in my La Cimbali Synesso baskets!

ACog
    To answer your question about the baskets, I have a 6910 on the bench (attempting repairs) and it only came with the two dual floor baskets for using with supermarket preground. The ones with the single hole in the bottom floor, so that the coffee gets sprayed out under pressure and "creates" crema (my theory anyway) !

So I thought I would test it with my deep double synesso basket from Silvia.
    This is one of the ridged baskets, and as it turns out, the ridge in the basket, lines up with the position of the spring in the SB group handle, so there is no way it will lock in place (the pressure from the spring tries to eject it), and due to the unique design of the SB locking tabs on the group handle, the silvia handle wont fit in the SB either.
    The silvia baskets were the same (ridge where the spring goes). When I took the spring out, the baskets dropped in fine, but there was no way of holding them in place, other than when they are locked into the group.

The SB baskets are ridgeless, so I believe that a ridgeless synesso (or similar) should fit fine.

Happy hunting...
    frasermcq

Thanks Fraser.

I might order a ridgeless basket and run some comparisons.

As a side note, on another coffee forum, someone had mentioned that they had replaced the basket and were finding much better shots.

Hi ACog - Id be interested in your results and if you think the baskets will make a difference, so please keep me/us posted.

When FishingLizard sent me the extra PF, which I then nudified, he also sent me the single floor baskets to go with it. I didnt give it a thought until I read this thread and, the other day, actually looked at the size of the baskets. I was wondering, to a certain extent, what was going wrong with some of the shots Ive been pulling lately and realised that it was because the basket was a bit bigger than the one I had been originally supplied with. I had thought it came down to my beans because theyre now over four weeks old and, although having been properly sealed by Andy (BeanBay) in one way valve bags, they are probably getting a little bit longer in the tooth now.

Funnily enough, it had made a slight but noticeable difference to my shots (not to mention I seemed to be churning through the beans a bit quicker) and I finally twigged as to why.

Switched back to my slightly smaller 6910 basket and, lo and behold, the crema has returned and its not choking anywhere near as much as before and the beans are fine.

Cheers
    Di