Thread: Gaggia Classic Soleniod Valve Stuck?

Gaggia Classic Soleniod Valve Stuck?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

Im a newbie here so please bear with me for my first post!! I have a Gaggia Classic which for the last 5 years or so has been making great coffee for me however we recently moved to Perth, WA and after only a few cups the brew flow ran down to a trickle and then no more. When the brew switch is on water runs straight back through the overflow pipe into the water container. It does produce steam and I can get water to run out of the steam wand by having the steam and brew switches on at the same time. My Classic has the solenoid valve and I am unsure if this can be backflushed and if it can I am not sure that would work as I am getting no water flow through the brewhead at all :(.

After searching the threads here I not been able to establish whether this is an easy fix or whether I need to take it to get it serviced. I have descaled the unit and got quite a lot of scale out but it has made no difference. A lot of the other posts on this subject make reference to the older versions of the Classic that have an accessible valve :-?.

Would I be able to backflush even if I am getting no flow through the brewhead?

thanks!

Marty

DONT USE

Re: Gaggia Classic Soleniod Valve Stuck?

hi marty
    welcome to snobs

could be blocked coffee valve or blocked 3 way solenoid

remove the shower plate (phillips screw)
    remove brass water distributor (allen key)
    remove the coffee valve (socket)
    sounds like the coffee valve is stuck up with gunge, might be able to soak in coffee cleaner and loosen(if not will have to be replaced)

cant descale or backflush until you have water flow through the group

Quote Originally Posted by fix link=1230965082/0#1 date=1230970319
    hi marty
    welcome to snobs

could be blocked coffee valve or blocked 3 way solenoid

remove the shower plate (phillips screw)
    remove brass water distributor (allen key)
    remove the coffee valve (socket)
    sounds like the coffee valve is stuck up with gunge, might be able to soak in coffee cleaner and loosen(if not will have to be replaced)

cant descale or backflush until you have water flow through the group
    Thanks for the quick reply, my Classic does not have an accessible coffee valve, under the water distributor there are only two holes for the cap head bolts and another single hole (for the water to flow through?).

Jelloooo sir.

This is very unfortunate. I hope it gets resolved quickly.

I have the exact same setup the Classic is different then the lower end Gaggias.

It has one tiny hole in the grouphead after removing the block and shower screen.

This is a really good reason to descale frequently if your not using RO water.

After every session i put my blank filter in the portafilter and let the pump run for

about 2-4 seconds and then turn off the pump. A whoosh of hot water comes out

overflow valve going into the drip tray. This clears up any grounds and oils.

You should do regular maintainance with a backflush which you can with a classic.

Buy some Urnex Cafiza Espresso Machine Cleaner Powder - 20 oz.
    This 20oz. (566g) bottle is a concentrated formula powder. Eliminates residue in group heads, valves, and lines. Integral to the daily back-flush regimen. Foam and solubility balanced for optimal rinsing.

Cafiza espresso machine cleaner is for commercial machines with a back-flush cycle. It also works well to clean the brew basket on regular coffee brewers.

You should try descaling at least 3 more times but this time follow this routine.

Add your Urnex Dezcal Activated Scale Remover Non-toxic, biodegradable, and safe descaler. fast and effective descaling of boilers and heating elements.

Mix it into your reservoir as instructed. Then turn on your machine with the steam

valve fully open getting a nice stream going. Then shut it all off and let the solution

sit inside your boiler for at least 3hrs. Then comeback and flush water through your

steam valve again with a nice steady stream and then shut it off again for 2hrs.

Do this again and let it sit for 1hr and then again for 1/2hr. Try and get all the

solution out of the reservoir. Do not hit the pump until you have finished this

routine. You most likely have a chunk of debris blocking the opening. By letting

the solution sit longer in the boiler it has more time to work on those tough chunks.

:)

This is the cheap solution to your problem. If it works HUZZAH!!

If not...you need to open up your machine. Unplug it of course.

Remove the wiring around the boiler.

Mark it all with coloured tape so you know what goes where.....

then get the basic tools required to remove the 4 bolts at the base of the boiler

and the steam attachments on top. Make sure to use small pliers to remove any

clip connections for wiring you can get a good grip using these.

ONce yo remove the top portion you can soak the boiler in some solution overnight.

This will fix your blockage 100% but its a few hours labour if its your first time.

If you send it in for an overhaul..expect to pay about $75-200.00 in labour costs.

I cant imagine you need parts replaced. This just sounds like a blockage.

Cheers!

Goodluck!

proper

All, especially pravspresso, thanks for the comprehensive replies; Id be happy to give cleaning it and descaling it a few more goes as theres nothing more satisfying than fixing something yourself!

Ive had a look through the site sponsors but cant find who sells the Urnex cleaner or a blank filter, can anyone recommend a reliable online seller?

Site Sponsor

MartyC;

You can have a look in my website, blind filters are under common parts. descale and cleaning powder under cleaning, even if you need solenoids or any part for your machine.

If you need anything let us know.

Renzo

Finally got round to spending some quality time on my machine today but had no luck. After three rounds of descaling over the last few weeks I gave it another run through this morning and left it for 3 hours then flushed it out.

Still no flow through the group head after all the descaling so I let it all cool down and stripped the boiler apart and took the valve assemblies apart and blew air through the unit body, etc but didnt get any crud out.

So, this leads me to believe that my problem is with the solenoid valve, can these be taken apart or is it just time for a replacement solenoid valve unit?

Cheers

Marty

Just had a thought, could it be the OPV that has stuck? I do get water returning to the reservior when only running with the brew switch on. If I run the steam switch on and then flick the brew swtich I get water running through the steam wand.

Actually Marty, thats a good indication that the 3-Way Valve is either blocked, stuck closed or the coil has burnt out. I think youre going to have to remove it (if possible, not familiar with Gaggia), check the coil with a DMM for Continuity, disassemble the Valve and give everything a good clean (new O-Rings would be a good idea too). Once its cleaned, put it all back together (with a new coil if this was buggered) and install back on to the machine.

Theyre pretty straight forward to overhaul in this way but if you need some hints (may not be exactly the same as yours), this is a helpful guide.... http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/repair.html about 2/3 the way down the page.... :)

Mal.

I stripped it down again this morning and took apart the solenoid valve and gave it a damn good clean; there was a small amount of scale in the valve but no major bloackage. So unfortunately when I put it back together there was no difference.

With this in mind I am thinking that the solenoid coil unit is not working and therefore not heating the solenoid valve to open it up (it looks a little like a car thermostat so assume this is how it works).

So, time to buy a new coil I guess! Wheres the best place to buy one from? Coffeeparts.com has the Parker unit listed but the part numbers dont match those on my coil and Ive tried emailing over a week ago but no reply so far :( . Is there anywhere else that anyone can recommend that I can order one from?

cheers

Marty

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 022E3D3B360C4F0 link=1230965082/9#9 date=1235913526
    Wheres the best place to buy one from? *Coffeeparts.com has the Parker unit listed but the part numbers dont match those on my coil and Ive tried emailing over a week ago but no reply so far * . *Is there anywhere else that anyone can recommend that I can order one from?
    I have also been chasing Parts for my San Marino and after two weeks of e-mails, I tried calling but only get some one who has no technical knowledge..

Comment was made as to having e-mail problems ???

I just tried www.dibartoli.com.au and they have both the coil and the valve assembly so have ordered it through them; they are also a site sponsor so keeping it in the family so to speak [smiley=thumbsup.gif] .

Hopefully when it arrives itll be a 15 minute fix and Ill be brewing a nice coffee in no time. Ill post up how I get on :).

Site Sponsor

MartyC;

Thank you for ordering parts from Di Bartoli your parts are on the way.

Regards

Renzo

Quote Originally Posted by 24093F220112140F0C09600 link=1230965082/12#12 date=1235948597
    MartyC;

Thank you for ordering parts from Di Bartoli your parts are on the way.

Regards

Renzo
    Renzo / Everyone

Part arrived on Friday morning, fitted Friday evening after work and by 8pm we were sipping a nice hot crema loaded expresso [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

I cant say enough about the service from these guys, fast and no hassle. Id even say my machine is making better coffee than it was before although that could be because weve been wthout it for a while :D.

Thankds to everyone for your suggestions, I now know how to make sure I keep my machine in tip top working order. Ill also be sticking around a little to see what other coffee tips I can pick up 8-).

cheers

Marty

Site Sponsor

Not worryes Marty happy to help.

Regards

Renzo :)