Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: installing a PID

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Woodend Victoria
    Posts
    104

    installing a PID

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    If I was to buy one of the site sponsors PID kits (Watlow, from memory), would I find it reasonably easy to install, as someone not versed in electrical work? I can solder a little, as in installing replacement driver units in my speakers, but thats about it .....
    Alternatively, is there anyone members can recommend in the Blue Mountains of NSW who could install a supplied PID kit if I iimported it? :-X

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: installing a PID

    Quote Originally Posted by 656E6C676865766F61040 link=1232416045/0#0 date=1232416045
    If I was to buy one of the site sponsors PID kits (Watlow, from memory), would I find it reasonably easy to install, as someone not versed in electrical work? I can solder a little, as in installing replacement driver units in my speakers, but thats about it .....
    Alternatively, is there anyone members can recommend in the Blue Mountains of NSW who could install a supplied PID kit if I iimported it? :-X
    Hi Anthony,

    If you can manage a screwdriver and copy what you see in a photo, youll be fine.

    Jims kits are simple to fit. In fact, it could be a school holiday project for a 12 year old...

    Go for it ;)

    2mcm

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    BRISBANE
    Posts
    201

    Re: installing a PID

    Quote Originally Posted by 7B6E75716F7E651C0 link=1208986294/21#21 date=1214906903
    Installation is basically simple and straightforward but fiddly, as there is not that much spare space inside Silvia where you have to work, nor inside the new PID case.
    Jims instructions are very good on the whole although I tend to agree with Kasas comments about some reordering and reformatting to help with clarity. You really dont need an electrical or electronics background, provided you follow Jims instructions carefully, as you are only really sliding connectors on etc.
    There is no soldering involved.
    Go for it. The results are great.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    188

    Re: installing a PID

    Anthony -

    *IF* you decide to proceed with a PID kit from us, be sure and take advantage of the special January pricing by following directions at the end of this thread:

    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1164285573

    Jim

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    8

    Re: installing a PID

    just adding this is in for those thinking of it... i have no electrical experience and did it, however it is a massive pain in the proverbial at certain points. my hands definitely were not designed for the job so at points i had to enlist the help the wife who was less than happy with the purchase of the new silvia to start with!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    8

    Re: installing a PID

    oh... and if are going to install an auber really take it seriously when it says you only have one go at sticking the thing on... mine is slightly too close to the steam wand and crooked which i know is going to irritate me when i really start playing with it (i only installed it about 30 mins ago)

  7. #7
    Senior Member greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: installing a PID

    Hi Anthony, with Jims instruction CD it was a breeze installing the PID, it took me about 2.5 hours following instructions on my laptop, plugged it in and away she went.

  8. #8
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: installing a PID

    Quote Originally Posted by 372235353E3D313E500 link=1232416045/6#6 date=1233693473
    Hi Anthony, with Jims instruction CD it was a breeze installing the PID, it took me about 2.5 hours following instructions on my laptop, plugged it in and away she went.
    Good stuff Greenman

    I think this is where the value is in Jims kits. The instructions are terrific, every wire is pre-configured and the pid is pre-configured. Makes for a perfect ownership experience ;)

    2mcm

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    188

    Re: installing a PID

    Quote Originally Posted by 3829322F2F3E29313C5B0 link=1232416045/5#5 date=1233666363
    oh... and if are going to install an auber really take it seriously when it says you only have one go at sticking the thing on... mine is slightly too close to the steam wand and crooked which i know is going to irritate me when i really start playing with it (i only installed it about 30 mins ago)
    For a few dollars more, there is an excellent 3M "reclosable fastener" system that uses the same high bond adhesive. *With the reclosable fasteners the enclosure can be repositioned if you get it a little wrong the first time.

    Jim



Similar Threads

  1. Installing PID on QUAHA
    By dogban in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th December 2011, 09:54 AM
  2. Installing thermocouple in corretto
    By bmcquillen in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23rd July 2011, 02:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •