Thread: Sunbeam EM6910 espresso video

Sunbeam EM6910 espresso video

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey crew,

I threw together a video of an espresso brew on my EM6910. Ive only had i a few months, Im still new to all of this (coffee). Please excuse the fast extraction in the clip, its not a perfect shot, but I had fun making the video :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXGilwwvzf4&fmt=22

James

A_M

Re: Sunbeam EM6910 espresso video

Some pleasant background distraction and interestingly you gauge only got to about 11...

Mine performs about the same, but if I push it 12:00 with a good fine grind...

The Shot ran for about 18sec ..... So what did it go down like ?

I usually try for about 25sec

Other than that the camera work was clean and not jerky and showed what had to be showed...

Note 1: Did not see the puck :o
    Note 2: Locks in at 6 so you still have a good collar and group seal

Well done...

Hi James,

Nice vid. Good high quality and the editing to show different angles is great.

few things I noticed regarding your gear. Youre grinder is set very fine, but still seems to run the shot too quickly. You might want to contact sunbeam and find out about some spacers for the grinder, that should allow it to grind at a more ideal setting.

Also ask them about the spout extension while youre at it. It will help cut down on the mess

Your dose and tamp is similar to mine and Ive been having reasonably good results using that routine.

Hi guys, the extraction was fast. The grind wasnt fine enough, most of the time my gauge sits just pas the brown on about 1oclock, extracts slower, and longer.

This morning I set the grinder to 4. The shot was excellent. Yeah it needs spacers. The grinder is brand new too.

Ill talk to sunbeam when I get a chance. Will they send me the spacers for free? Hard to fit?

A_M

Have a look see in teh Grinder section... Lot on the spacers and NO not hard at all.

SB should send NO problem...

Cool, thanks!

About the group handle at 6oclock. its pretty much perfect. Ive noticed that my baskets have a small ridge on the top of the lip. My friends EM6910 baskets do not have this (he has the older model with the different steam wand tip too)... could it be that sunbeam changed their baskets to get a more six o clock setup? Ive also noticed most guys using other baskets with their sunbeam are way past six o clock.

Im very careful with loose grinds on my basket before inserting into the group, the less wear in there the better IMO.

Ive got the sunbeam coffee school class today at 1:30pm. Will let you know how it goes. Im fairly confident with my process now. Id love to learn some latte art though! :)

I was thinking this morning it would be nice to have a stainless steel drawer made, to sit under the EM6910, hold the tamp, thermometer, baskets, etc... no doubt would cost a fortune though!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 507B777F69571A0 link=1232713752/5#5 date=1232757694
    could it be that sunbeam changed their baskets to get a more six o clock setup?
    No.. At new they tend to start at about 7 - 6 and as the seal compresses and the collar get worn.. you have to keep moving further around... By the time you get towards 4 your pushing the limits...

Tamp / Grind size and correct dose level, will go a long way to getting the most out of the 6910 before repairs are needed. Seals are just an ongoing user stuff (do not leave the PF locked in when not using), but the collar is an issue.

got ya. I never leave the PF locked in, always clean the shower screen and gasket after each use of the machine.

My mate with the older EM6910.. oh god. I stayed there for NYE, got up the next day to make a coffee (he was still sleeping)....

I found the following:

PF still locked into group, PF had a puck from over a month ago still sitting in it, I had to scrape it out with a spoon. Shower screen was almost completely blocked. I had to remove all items and scrub them with a toothbrush and some baking soda (and still didnt completely unblock it).

Then when I had the machine clean, I grabbed his grinder out of the cupboard. It was a little non-adjustable unit that made grinds the size of peas (or close enough). obviously only for plunger coffee. ABORT.

No idea how hes been drinking his coffee all this time, he tried to convince me that he could pull a good shot. NO. it was just water. yuck. He was tamping the absolute shit out of it.. oh god.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6249454D5B65280 link=1232713752/7#7 date=1232759018
    got ya. I never leave the PF locked in, always clean the shower screen and gasket after each use of the machine.

My mate with the older EM6910.. oh god. I stayed there for NYE, got up the next day to make a coffee (he was still sleeping)....

I found the following:

PF still locked into group, PF had a puck from over a month ago still sitting in it, I had to scrape it out with a spoon. Shower screen was almost completely blocked. I had to remove all items and scrub them with a toothbrush and some baking soda (and still didnt completely unblock it).

Then when I had the machine clean, I grabbed his grinder out of the cupboard. It was a little non-adjustable unit that made grinds the size of peas (or close enough). obviously only for plunger coffee. ABORT.

No idea how hes been drinking his coffee all this time, he tried to convince me that he could pull a good shot. NO. it was just water. yuck. He was tamping the absolute sh!t out of it.. oh god.
    Yep and SB would be blamed when the thing broke :o for making a crap Appliance :D

brad74

Nice clear video, *you dont get a lot of that on youtube.

Just one thing, *Not sure if u always do it or just on this video. *I was always told to never tamp with the spout of the PF on the bench, *use the side of the bench. *To be honest I dont really know if you can damage the PF spout or bench doing that but I personally think you are more balanced on the side of the bench compared to the tip of the spout.

Thanks the video is shot in HD on my Canon HV30. Youtube offer HD (sometimes) which is nice!

well pointed out with the tamping. I find it easier to tamp as I do it (not on the edge). The fact that my kitchen benches have a large rounded edge doesnt help, makes it very difficult to tamp actually.

sure would be hard with the single pour spout! Ill need to come up with something.

I did the sunbeam barista school today, I didnt learn anything that Ive not already played with or experienced from CS :)

I did however try a Reg Barber tamp and oh boy is it leaps and bounds better than the crap sunbeam one! Cant wait to buy a new tamper!

Hi Guys

Im in the same boat as James - if I use the edge of the bench, it slips off half the time and I lose my coffee to the floor (trust me, a cat licking up ground coffee is not a thing of beauty!)

I use the rubber mat that is at the bottom of the 0480 - I think its designed as a tamp mat, so I take it off, use it to tamp on, give it a wipe over and put it back in the base.

Its now looking a bit second hand, but it works like a treat!

Cheers
    Di

I have rounded edges on my bench tops but I use a corner to place the group handle in for tamping.
    No slips.

Thats one clear video James I love HD

I would see if you are pressing the puck enough check on a set of bathroom scales 15 to 20 kg is about right
    You will be surprised how hard a press that is

My easy fix for the tamping acrobatics you all have is

For single spout PF I use the knock tube by placing the PF at the point where the handle meets the metal I place it on the knock tube brace as it is a steel rod covered with rubber

For double spout PF I use a small sheet of silicone mat and also the above if the mat cant be found

However the best piece of gear is a PF stand

KK

thanks for the tamping and grinding tips people. trust me I have it all sorted, it was just this particular vid where the extraction was too fast (my other shots are usually perfect). I just couldnt be bothered re-doing the video hehehe

brad74

Quote Originally Posted by 0C272B23350B460 link=1232713752/10#10 date=1232792719
    well pointed out with the tamping. I find it easier to tamp as I do it (not on the edge). The fact that my kitchen benches have a large rounded edge doesnt help, makes it very difficult to tamp actually.
    Never thought about a rounded bench, that would make life difficult.

Gra

Quote Originally Posted by 49594A4F1C1F2B0 link=1232713752/15#15 date=1232840859
    Be for I got my tamper stand I made this up from left over kitchen bench top" sink cut out" works fine.. ;) ;)

cheers Gra..

Quote Originally Posted by 6E524F545E5F485D555E3A0 link=1232713752/12#12 date=1232797019
    I have rounded edges on my bench tops but I use *a corner to place the group handle in for tamping.
    No slips.
    Same here, never really been a problem!

my bench top has no corners, Im happy to just tamp on a teatowel on the surface of the bench.

Gra, love your stone block!! great idea :)

Quote Originally Posted by 01030F0707090E13600 link=1232713752/2#2 date=1232749045
    Hi James,

Nice vid. Good high quality and the editing to show different angles is great.

few things I noticed regarding your gear. Youre grinder is set very fine, but still seems to run the shot too quickly. You might want to contact sunbeam and find out about some spacers for the grinder, that should allow it to grind at a more ideal setting.

Also ask them about the spout extension while youre at it. It will help cut down on the mess

Your dose and tamp is similar to mine and Ive been having reasonably good results using that routine.
    I just phoned sunbeam about the spacers/shims and the spout. They are posting the spacers, the spouts are out of stock. Apparently its a specialty item they had made (not an actual spare part), she said call back in a month hehe. all good. Grinder rebuild time!

Hi
    really impressed with quality of video too.
    Please let me know your secret of keeping the camera so still.
    Cheers

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 460150514A01320 link=1232713752/20#20 date=1233202747
    Hi
    really impressed with quality of video too.
    Please let me know your secret of keeping the camera so still.
    Cheers
    He makes sure he never gets Coffee withdraws :D

Either that AM or he doesnt overdo it.

I think however, the more likely answer is a tripod.

Hi James,

I just watched your video again. Your grind, by the looks of it is extremely fine, comparing to mine.

If it was me behind that machine and you asked me to guess how it would turn out before pressing the button, I would have said its going to choke the machine.

Let us all know how the spacer goes... Im intruiged....

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6C6E626A6A64637E0D0 link=1232713752/23#23 date=1233227608
    Hi James,

I just watched your video again. Your grind, by the looks of it is extremely fine, comparing to mine.

If it was me behind that machine and you asked me to guess how it would turn out before pressing the button, I would have said its going to choke the machine.

Let us all know how the spacer goes... Im intruiged....
    Interesting...

I go finer on my SB 6910 at home with a Rocky grinder...

But the work SB 6910 would choke and blow gaskets and then some...

ACog, interesting that you say that about my grind. Yeah it is quite fine. Are you referencing my grinder setting? or the actual look of the grind itself? It certainly doesnt choke the machine, at all. but...

The shot in that video extracted much faster than my usual shots, which Ive mentioned.... Yet I would consider the grind to be just right, or fine enough at least for a good shot.

Which leads me to believe that... perhaps.... I had channeling in the puck during the extraction. This would explain the dark rich colour for only a short period of time at the start of the shot, quickly changing to blonde. Could this be the case? Could it be that the grind is too fine, and the water found an easy path out? I wish Id checked the puck when I knocked it out. It came out cleanly, but I didnt break the puck to check how the extraction went. I guess I was too busy trying to make a video :)

Im itching to get a new tamper, I really dislike the sunbeam one after using the Reg Barber at the baristy academy last week, which felt great, and tamped so nice (fitted the basket perfectly too)

I just finished up the last of my Di Bartoli beans which I bought in Sydney on the 20th. I didnt ask them what the roast date was when I bought them, but in the last few days of the beans I noticed they didnt look, grind, or taste as good as they did when I first bought them.

Im off to get some 5 senses beans today If I have time. Im all outta beans so Its gotta happen. Sat and Sun morning with no coffee would be EPIC bad.

When I get the new beans Ill see if I can record some more extraction footage for comment. I wont go into as much detail as my previous vid, but maybe just some extraction and puck footage for comment? Im getting some great feedback on how to make my coffee better and Ive learned a lot from you guys, thanks so much!

Hi all,
    As for tamping on a rounded bench corner you could try and place the spout on the bar of the bang bang. Fits well and any extra grinds go iinto the box and not on the bench or floor.
    Regards
    Crisp Image

Initially I had commented on your grinder setting, hence my suggestion of the spacers from sunbeam.

After watching the video again, it looks like the grind is very fine, that could be the video (though excellent quality it is) not showing it clearly enough.

One thing, on the first light tamp down, Ive found that lightly twisting the tamper evens out the grinds to the edges nicely, which Ive found prevents side channeling.

Acog, regarding the light tamp and twist.. using the sunbeam tamper? Ive stopped twisting at the end of tamping as my tamper usually messes up the tamped surface. Cant wait to get a better tamper. (record number of the word "tamper" in this post?)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6A414D45536D200 link=1232713752/28#28 date=1233317879
    Acog, regarding the light tamp and twist.. using the sunbeam tamper? Ive stopped twisting at the end of tamping as my tamper usually messes up the tamped surface. Cant wait to get a better tamper. (record number of the word "tamper" in this post?)
    While the SB stomping device is not great it is better than many other stampers ;D

HINT: Get some fine wet and dry and polish the metal base in a osculating pattern ... Makes the world of difference.

I dont tamp at the end, only on the first light tamp. I found the rough surface helped to even out the coffee to the edges (one positive I suppose) when lightly twisted. I then continue to fill, then give it a good 10-15kg stamp, no polish.

Works a treat.