Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By grimsby

Thread: Rancilio Lucy rebuild

Rancilio Lucy rebuild

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all, Newbie here. I have bought a second hand Lucy and Im given it a full once over. I have completely disassembled it so I can get the frame sand blasted and powder coated because of some rust issues. The question I have is the identification of one part as indicated in the photos. It has a tube (B) on it that goes into the tank. Does anybody know what it is/does?

Thanks, Andrew. :)

Re: Rancilio Lucy rebuild

By the way it took me a couple of hours to do this. Hope I can get it all back together.

Andrew. :)

Howdy and welcome to CS ANDREW

On the assumptiom the Lucy is a Silvia with a live in relation ship with a grinder, the two tubes will have the same function as for a Silvia.

One is the water feed inlet: ie the tube that sucks in *the water to make your coffee.
    The *second tube you refer to is the OPV [over pressure valve] outlet.

Basically when the brew pressure exceedes a presettable point [usually set between *9-11 bar] the *OPV will divert the excess pressure [its essentially a relief valve] back into the tank.

When the grind is too fine, or overdosed or you are backflushing, *[that is conditions where you exceed the OPV setting] the OPV will shunt off the excess water [to relieve the pressure] back into the reservoir. *

You can watch *this flow from the tube, for the above conditions.

sdg

Yeah, but I think its the inexplicable third tube thats the issue -- have a look at reply#6 from fix in
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1223797147 -- something about a low-water sensor?

BTW, awesome dismantling effort Andrew -- very impressive * 8-)

But who ran over your poor mechanical cat??*:o (2nd pic)

Yep, that looks very similar to the low water sensor in my Faema.

Thanks for the reply. The pressure switch makes sense to me sort of. As the tube (B) goes back to the white and orange unit as indicated by the arrow and it doesnt have any other tubes coming out from it. I dont know how it could detect the level of the water in the tank by pressure though? The pressure differential between full and empty would be very small.

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs Andrew..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Pretty sure that the device your arrow is pointing to is a pressure switch. Uses a large diameter diaphragm coupled to a sensitive micro-switch and is able to detect very small variations in pressure from the "bulb" immersed in the water reservoir. Just need to make sure that the sensing bulb is immersed fully into the reservoir to avoid false low-water trips...

Cheers :)
    Mal.

The question mark thingy looks very like a water level switch in a washing machine which in reality is a pneumatic switch. I have used one on my boat to control the anchor winch so that I dont have an electrical switch out on deck. Simply have a small diameter silicone rubber tube with a bulb on the end out on deck and the switch is safely inside below deck. Works like a charm.
    Id reckon Bill and Mal are on the money!
    By the way, did you get Lucy from a coffee place at Capalaba?
    They had one for sale a little while back.

Cheers,
    Alan
    Jackster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 55405B5F41504B320 link=1233383515/7#7 date=1233457102
    By the way, did you get Lucy from a coffee place at Capalaba?
    They had one for sale a little while back.

Cheers,
    Alan
    Hello Alan, Thanks for the reply. Now I understand how it works.

I bought it off eBay.

Now it is completely striped down Im considering changing the colour of the frame from black to red like in the modified photo. :-/ What do people think (my wife thinks leave it black)?

There is some rust on some of the welds and seams of the frame which was the reason for the strip down. Should I sand blast and powder coat or just grind the rust off and paint it with Kill Rust paint?

Thanks, Andrew. :)

If you can afford it, get it sand blasted and powder coated. Talk to the powder coat applicators and tell them that you want a system that gives the most protection.
    If you dont want to go that way, still get it sand blasted, then paint with Galvit E90, then Killrust metal primer then Killrust gloss enamel.
    You can buy all these as spray cans to achieve the best finish possible.
    I used this system on a coupling on my boat and its still in perfect condition 15 years later. It was a festering block of steel before I treated it and it lives in close proximity to salt water.
    Ill leave the colour to you!

Cheers,
    Alan

I think make it orange!

Some more progress today. Glass bead blasted. When I pulled the boiler apart there was about 50mm of built up scale and deposits in the bottom.

YUCK

Thats BETTER

Looking GOOD

nice work. Leave it black (imo)

Purple, purple, purple! (Just my favourite colour. And I have purple Barista Tamper. :D)

Or whatever floats YOUR boat.

Greg

Some more progress. My parts ordered from site sponsors Coffee Parts came the other day and now Im starting to assemble things again. Ive done the boiler and the steam valve.

I should get the frame back from the powder coaters later this week.

By the way, super quick service from Coffee Parts, order placed at midday, received email an hour later saying "packed and sent" received items the next day in the post.

I made my self a new Portafilter handle after hours at work, what do you think?

Design Stage

Youtube Link to CAD/CAM video

Finished Part

thats really impressive. How is it made? Im guessing it will match in nicely with red body?

Well its all back together now and working fine (much to my wifes amazement! :o). It took me about 4-5 hours one Saturday to re-assemble it all with no dramas or leaks. A work colleague and another friend have Silvias (one with PID) and gave me a few pointers to get me pulling some shots strait away. I set the zero point on the grinder and find Im using about 3 notches above to produce an OK shot for a first timer.

I have a question though about knowing when its up to temp for brewing and steaming as the Lucy doesnt have a boiler element light like the Silvia, its a level indicator for the tank instead. I know the thermostats have a wide temperature band but Im really flying blind without even the boiler element light. Any suggestions?

Heres some pics of Ms Lucy. :)

I went for Aztec Copper for the powder coating with a ripple finish instead of the red as mentioned earlier. This covers a few blemishes and pitting that was still left in the frame from previous rusting. I think it came out OK. Any opinions?

I also made a new tamper for it at work that fits snugly into the baskets as the original one had about 2mm clearance. Notice the step up in diameter.

Beautiful job Andrew.... A credit to you mate 8-)

Re: the lack of a "Boiler ON Light".... Maybe you could get one of your techie friends to install one for you. Its dead easy to do and requires very little work. Though, unless you are appropriately qualified mate, I wouldnt recommend you tackle it yourself. If you want to keep the Fascia original though, I guess the only thing you can do is listen for the start of bubbling in the Boiler that would indicate the Heating Element is energised and visa versa for when it cuts out.

It probably isnt really necessary to go through all this in reality though, providing you allow sufficient time for Lucy to warm up properly..... For an hour or so.

Mal.

Nicely done! Theres a Lucy for sale here in Taiwan, but its a bit more than I want to pay, especially if I have to put a lot of work into it. What year was yours manufactured? Is there an issue on this machine of the boiler heating the grinder and making the ground coffee hot?

Quote Originally Posted by 5F60637B5E6D65620C0 link=1233383515/18#18 date=1236421426
    *What year was yours manufactured?
    Hello SlowRain, Mine was made in 2000, so its about 9 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by 5F60637B5E6D65620C0 link=1233383515/18#18 date=1236421426
    *Is there an issue on this machine of the boiler heating the grinder and making the ground coffee hot?
    I put my milk frothing thermometer into the hopper to check this for myself. Only a few degrees above room temperature. So it doesnt seem to be a problem.

The one here is a 2000, as well. Does yours have the original pump and boiler? Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it?

Quote Originally Posted by 7D4241597C4F47402E0 link=1233383515/20#20 date=1236424705
    The one here is a 2000, as well. *Does yours have the original pump and boiler? *Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it?
    I assume it has the original parts, all seemed OK after I pulled it apart and cleaned it up The boiler seems pretty robust unless you run it dry. $670 on eBay. There were others cheaper (for $500) but not close by and sellers where unwilling to post due to the weight. All the internal parts are readily available as its just a Silvia & Rock together underneath sharing the same house.

Hi Andrew,

There is a simple way to reuse the low water lamp to act as boiler indicating lamp. There is a light yellow wire crimp on low water switch and to the low water lamp. Pull out the end which connected to the low water switch and crimp or connect to the steam thermostat. Then the lamp above the power switch will now become the boiler "heat on" lamp. ;D

Kopi.