Thread: Steam Wand dead with Sunbeam E6910?

Steam Wand dead with Sunbeam E6910?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey,

I have had my Sunbeam for almost a year now and never had any problems. I regularly clean the machine and take pride in my baby. (I am a pauper full time Barista- whatever I can get!)

I have always loved the steam wand on my machine because it comes out so velvety and smooth- although the last few days its almost as thought the steam has completely vanished and turned itself into hot water...sort of, its hard to explain because I have changed the settings for a dry cool steam to allow for longer texturing process (as Ive always had it)...

You know when you turn on a commercial machine on in the morning and it has a condensation of water and steam and it turns your milk all bubbly etc??? Thats what Im getting full time now argh!

Ive cleaned the machine thoroughly and the only repair it needs is a new shower screen rubber seal, but that makes no difference to the steam pressure...

Does anyone know what is wrong with my babey and can anyone help? or is it time I upgraded- hehe YAY! ;)

A_M

Re: Steam Wand dead with Sunbeam E6910?

Quote Originally Posted by 666A686A7B0B0 link=1233387960/0#0 date=1233387960

I have always loved the steam wand on my machine because it comes out so velvety and smooth- although the last few days its almost as thought the steam has completely vanished and turned itself into hot water...sort of, its hard to explain because I have changed the settings for a dry cool steam to allow for longer texturing process (as Ive always had it)...

Ive cleaned the machine thoroughly and the only repair it needs is a new shower screen rubber seal, but that makes no difference to the steam pressure...

Does anyone know what is wrong with my babey and can anyone help? or is it time I upgraded- hehe YAY! ;)
    If you decide to upgrade... I will be happy to have ya old one for parts *;D

So if I am reading you correctly.... *Regardless of teh setting, your getting water ... well sort of water...

A: Any heat to it ?

Without having a look and taking some measurements...

It could be;

1: A blockage... *
    2: Thermostat / Fusabile link
    3: Dead Steam thermoblock - Un likely.
    4: Dead control board - Un likley...

If you handy you should go here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=BrewMid as this is where the EM6910 posts go ... *And look for my post on "Last ditch effort to fix steam etc etc

NOTE: Always work with the power OFF as water and electrons do not work well together... In particular when a human is involved..

You also no not hit as to where you might... Thus if you on Thursday Island... *I am unaware of any one who might be close by..

Further more if you have only just cleaned you shower screen etc and have not been doing regular de scales etc *over the last 12 months. *And depending on your water hardness etc . Then scale causing a blockage is my guess.

So what youre saying is it very well might be a scale blockage...Ive looked at your post and have decided that if I do in fact have to pull the machine apart a little, I might do a bit of searching and find a Sunbeam agent nearby.

And yes Im getting way too much heat! Usually it would take 40odd seconds to steam a 12oz jug, whereas now the milks hot within 15 seconds...mhhhm

p.s. I live in Adelaide- anybody work with/ fix Sunbeams down here?

A_M

Reset your steam settings to default and see what happens...

Or *even a total reset back to factory...

Other than that a Service agent and depending on who, hold on to a wallet *;D

I have heard of a few issues with Steam and as the Steam thermo block is hard to get (so I have been told) and the time it takes to truly trouble shoot. Many go for the shotgun approach and that means $$$

Needless to say, a few upgrade with less that kind words to say about teh EM6910. While it has its faults... User Maintenance and good Service support is hard to find...

Being that its under a year old (assuming you bought it new), if its something fatal then SB should replace it or, at the very least, fix it up for you free of charge. Ring SB on Monday morning and explain the problem to them.

Id suggest using your warranty - thats what its there for...

Cheers
    Di

Service agent in SA is at Park Holme shopping centre, just off Oakland Road.

If you live in Adelaide, you should use only filtered water and descale at least every 2 months.

I think I killed my baby! A $600 machine is like $3000 to a lowly student I had a laugh. Ringing Sunbeam now,

Thanks for the help guys!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7874767465150 link=1233387961/7#7 date=1233547244
    I think I killed my baby! A $600 machine is like $3000 to a lowly student I had a laugh. Ringing Sunbeam now,

Thanks for the help guys!
    I feel for ya... Keep us informed as to how it all goes... If it goes pair shape... Call / PM me....

I do know that here in BrizVagus that some SB users were told that unless they pulled up their socks... They would not get a second shot at the cherry. Note: TG has had this issue... sort of... Private Vs Commercial use etc.

RANT:

Warranty can be an issue when it is obvious to every one but the owner does not see it, that they have not been following the Manual or recommended guidelines.

The fact that Department stores flog the Sunbeam EM6910 and know little about coffee... Adds to the SB risk, but also market saturation...

I guess there are stories from both sides...

And I am sure that sponsors would agree that Warranty can be an issue... Boilers run with NO water etc... Should teh sponsor cover the costs... Mwhaaaaa maybe once under certain circumstances... Is it a Manufactures problem ? Maybe, or is it the USER ?

Should the sponsor accept the hit, every time NO... I know that for some agents in Aus, they may get the parts free or at a reduced cost, but still have to cover the labor etc....

End Rant....

I dropped the machine off to the service centre at Pooraka an hour ago and they are going to fix it for me free of charge and even give me a an extra rubber seal and steam tip- gotta love em.

Thanks for the help- you at least gave me some idea of what was wrong, as I hadnt had the guts to pull my baby apart ;-)

Cheers

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 434F4D4F5E2E0 link=1233387961/9#9 date=1233639094
    I dropped the machine off to the service centre at Pooraka an hour ago and they are going to fix it for me free of charge and even give me a an extra rubber seal and steam tip- gotta love em.

Thanks for the help- you at least gave me some idea of what was wrong, as I hadnt had the guts to pull my baby apart ;-)

Cheers
    Great NEWS... Let us know what the actual problem was.... Many times they may just say very little... However if you want to really learn and give something back...

Then be interested and ask lots of Questions etc ... Quite often the Service guys just want to help you as much as they can... They also hate silly problems... And thus you can get some great tips / advise as to how not to let it happen again..

And at no cost.... I would go and buy a lotto ticket :-)

Please let us know what they find as I have been having the same problem for the last couple of days. At first I thought it was a problem with the milk. I then tried changing the settings, all to no avail :( All I am getting is heat and lots of bubbles! No foam.
    Pls let this be an easy fix. I always said that I would upgrade when this machine dies, but Im not in a position to yet :(. And I NEED COFFEE....

Jez

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4F43414352220 link=1233387961/9#9 date=1233639094

Cheers

So what was the fix ?

I saw a Steam boiler/generator today, that had 6 months of use... Brisbane Tap water...

No filtration or water softener.... Straight tap water.

Now if this is what happens to this item in 6 months..... Then it also indicates what might be going on with those systems that use Hard water and are not cleaned / maintained... Unless it is a switch or controller error...

Clean enough to eat dinner off..... :D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 65696B6978080 link=1233387961/9#9 date=1233639094

Cheers
    If what ya PM stated is true... I would take it back... Depending on the leak etc... You could end up not being able to do much your self and then you could also impact on any Support SB may be obliged to provide..

Only as a last ditched effort do you want to get in and pull yours to pieces...

They should at least be able to fix any leaks....

NOTE: Have been able to mod / change teh steam pump and get 2 X the steam flow ... Have to set to the driest setting and it is a reasonable improvement...

Issues: Access to cheep Ulka type 3 pump and the dammed fittings. A quick bodgy test bed proves that it works.. Problem is identifying the best fittings and method to allow others to do easily..