Thread: New siliva owner - pour too fast

New siliva owner - pour too fast

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Having recently purchased a new silvia + rocky combo, I have managed to turn out a few drinkable shots, but nothing great so far.

Using the standard issue double basket, I have ground 14g directly into the portafilter, then used a paperclip to distribute/break up any clumps - this leaves the grinds quite fluffy and the portafilter only just overfilled.

After tamping the puck sits approx at the height of the ridge in the basket.

My problem is that the shot is typically all blonde after around 10-15sec, the resulting coffee is generally quite bitter. Reducing the grind gradually ended up with it being so fine that a fair amount of sediment was left in the bottom of my cup.

Some of the pucks have been stuck to the grouphead after removing the portafilter, others have had a bit of water on top but generally held together after being knocked out.

This morning I tried increasing the dose a little, even so the shot came through a bit fast - it was drinkable but not "good".

The beans I am using are reasonably fresh, bought from a local cafe - the same blend the barista there uses to make some rather good coffee.

Previously using a different blend and no "WDT", I had been unintentionally overdosing with a coarser grind and ended up with around 60ml after around 25sec - this seems odd since I was reading that improved distribution would reduce the chance of channeling...

Thoughts? :)

TC

Re: New siliva owner - pour too fast

Quote Originally Posted by 784E4642474744452B0 link=1233698119/0#0 date=1233698119
    Having recently purchased a new silvia + rocky combo, I have managed to turn out a few drinkable shots, but nothing great so far.

Using the standard issue double basket, I have ground 14g directly into the portafilter, then used a paperclip to distribute/break up any clumps - this leaves the grinds quite fluffy and the portafilter only just overfilled.

After tamping the puck sits approx at the height of the ridge in the basket.

My problem is that the shot is typically all blonde after around 10-15sec, the resulting coffee is generally quite bitter. Reducing the grind gradually ended up with it being so fine that a fair amount of sediment was left in the bottom of my cup.

Some of the pucks have been stuck to the grouphead after removing the portafilter, others have had a bit of water on top but generally held together after being knocked out.

This morning I tried increasing the dose a little, even so the shot came through a bit fast - it was drinkable but not "good".

The beans I am using are reasonably fresh, bought from a local cafe - the same blend the barista there uses to make some rather good coffee.

Previously using a different blend and no "WDT", I had been unintentionally overdosing with a coarser grind and ended up with around 60ml after around 25sec - this seems odd since I was reading that improved distribution would reduce the chance of channeling...

Thoughts? :)
    Hi Semillon,

My suggestions:[*]Ditch the shallow silvia thimble p/f baskets and grab some deep baskets. [*]Ensure you have fresh beans[*]You may need a finer grind

There are some great training videos on the ECA website: http://www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm

They will be a good check to see how youre going with technique.

The key thing is to ensure that your dose is consistent every time- or youll be trying to solve an equation with 2 variables ;)

Good luck!

2mcm

Thanks for the video link - looks good.

I have some standard digital kitchen scales I am using to measure each dose before and after grinding (for the time being). They can measure up to 3kg so I am not 100% sure of the accuracy to the nearest gram.

If I was switching to a deeper basket, does that imply that I would then be using a larger dose for each shot/double? Do most people use 14g or a larger number? Certainly there is no space issue using 18g with the standard issue double basket.

Hi Semillon, I purchased a Synesso ridgeless double basket from Pullman when I ordered my tamper, it takes about 18g and up to 21g if updosed, my shots on Silvia improved markedly with this basket and new tamper and consistency was a lot better. All of the elements need to come together to get consistently good shots from Silvia, practice, practice and you will get there, good luck with it.

Ive had my silvia for a few months now, and have ditched the original baskets in favour of synessos. combined with the WDT distribution, mazzer mini and pullman, Im getting consistently good shots. But that has also been helped by my other little technique of preinfusion. I flick the switch for 2 seconds (havent timed, but count "1 and 2", so maybe 1.5 seconds) and flick it off. no coffee has come through the basket (also have a naked p/f). I then wait for 5-8 seconds and flick the switch again to start the pour. really nice shots, and getting great results even in the single basket. worth a try as it seems to make the silvia a little more forgiving...

Those getting consistently good shots with the Silvia, do you know the weight of your dose? Or is it more a matter of overfilling / leveling in a consistent manner?

Semillon

Agree with all the others on the larger basket, Silvia ships with a 12g, standardy is 14g [of course, these actually hold much more than 12 or 14g]

Also, remember your grinder is not set and forget....you may find you need a different setting [for the same beans] for your AM & PM shots

I prefer ridgeless and it is easier to tamp and the puck knocks out cleanly.
    In my opinion, dosing is the most important and least talked about variable. What is most important is that the dose is consistant....Then you make the necessary adjustments with the grinder.
    You should be able to get a great pour with lower doses, but I think, higher/overdoses tend to be easier for newbies.
    Hang in there, it takes time and practice to get consistant dosing.

You dont mention what tamper you have, but that plastic thing that ships with Silvia is useless, and anything else that does not fit into the basket snugly will also make life harder...many of us CSers us Pullman tampers and from the first shot you will see a big improvement.

I have a tamper supplied by a non-sponsor vendor who I will not mention :)

It is of high quality, 58mm stainless steel base and a wooden handle.

Under dosing or under tamping will cause blonding from the start of the shot, but can also be caused by broken pucks

On the Bezzera I now dose to just clear by a hairs whisker the water screen of the group head it also equates to 8mm deep in the PF basket

You can measure your level by trial and error
    Level or height of the puck is all important

KK

laz

I had the same problem as Semillon and changed my grind/tamp more like the video link from 2mcm (thanks for that btw) and now im producing better shots. Im using a 12g basket but I weigh it on some digital scales with 0.1g accuracy and am getting anywhere from 17.7-18.1g of coffee in the basket. Is this too overdosed ?

Ive got a different setup so Im not sure if this is the right thread for this question but is seemed like a good follow on question.

Tx