Thread: Isomac Venus - Does it need a PID?

Isomac Venus - Does it need a PID?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have seen the Venus and Silvia talked about in the same breath and I was wondering whether the Venus has the same temperature variation issues as the Silvia? Does it also require a PID for consistent quality? Does temperature surfing need to be employed? Is anyone running a PID on their Venus? If so, how have you found the performance?

I am looking at options for a shallow bench space which rules out e61 machines. Depth is the problem, otherwise I would be shooting for a Piccolo/Zaffiro etc.! Thinking of going down the Silvia route, but like the aesthetics of the Venus.

Can anyone help? Thanks, C.

Re: Isomac Venus - Does it need a PID?

I will be following this thread with interest, as moving from a Silvia to a Venus is one of the upgrade options I am considering.
    First I have no experience with the Venus so if anyone wishes to correct me please feel free.
    I was wondering whether the Venus has the same temperature variation issues as the Silvia?
    They both use similar thermostats, on the Silvia its on at 90 degrees and off at 110 degrees temp keeps going up to 124 degrees, Venus has a larger boiler and the element has a bit more wattage, I would expect a similar temp swing.
    Does it also require a PID for consistent quality?
    This is where it gets interesting, the larger boiler with the brew group directly mounted beneath makes a nice thermostable design. With a PID it should easily beat a PIDd Silvia.
    I should point out Isomac have fitted the Venus with the OPV valve on the boiler so it bleeds hot water back to the tank. The mod to fix it is to fit a *OPV between pump and boiler, not a deal breaker for me.

A couple of years ago a US customer did a successful installation of one of our Silvia kits on his Venus. He was kind enough to provide some photos, along with some notes describing the differences between the installation on a Silvia vs the installation on his Venus:

http://www.pidkits.com/notes/venus/index.html

Jim

Dont know whats happening Jim but I cant get any of your webpages to load?

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 5F72767A771B0 link=1237077000/3#3 date=1237191663
    Dont know whats happening Jim but I cant get any of your webpages to load?
    Working fine for me Mal

Mal

I just tried a few different ones and they all loaded ok.

Drat >:(

Looks like DNS problems again...

Mal.

A_M

Works in Chrome... Those cable ties in Pic 4 ( venus04 ) are a bit TOO tight... I would be replacing them. ;)

Looks like a hand gun tight effect. ::)

I always do power and signal by hand or at a loose setting..

They should be for tidiness etc It looks like the insulation has been crushed and could over time cause a problem... :-[

Ask any Aircraft fitter what happens to cables that are over stressed or clamped... NOT GOOD.

In pic 1 there is an interesting bend in the Si tubing at the R/H back and no cable tie on the tubing where it fits onto the pump... :o

STOP it Anger... This is not a QA check or an Audit... ;)

Hmmm,

Resetting the cache etc doesnt improve things, neither does using alternative DNS servers. May be getting blocked by my ISP so will have to make queries.. :-?.

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 6E41484A5D624E414E484A424A415B2F0 link=1237077000/7#7 date=1237192372
    Those cable ties in Pic 4 ( venus04 )are a bit TOO tight...I would be replacing them
    Agree AM,

There will be cold flow of the insulation at that cable tie...

Far too tight - and I have seen what happens when wires are squeezed that tightly..... I was involved in an area which laced looms for missile systems..... and wires held nowhere near that tightly would be rejected by CINO (Chief Inspector of Naval Ordinance.....)

Dead easy to start a fire with wire squeezed that much :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Quote Originally Posted by 7A51465172300 link=1237077000/9#9 date=1237203417
    Quote Originally Posted by 6E41484A5D624E414E484A424A415B2F0 link=1237077000/7#7 date=1237192372
    Those cable ties in Pic 4 ( venus04 )are a bit TOO tight...I would be replacing them
    Agree AM,

There will be cold flow of the insulation at that cable tie...

Far too tight - and I have seen what happens when wires are squeezed that tightly..... I was involved in an area which laced looms for missile systems..... and wires held nowhere near that tightly would be rejected by CINO (Chief Inspector of Naval Ordinance.....)

Dead easy to start a fire with wire squeezed that much :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
    I dont disagree.

It is worth mentioning, though, that the white ties are Isomac originals (we supply black ties with kits to make it easy to distinguish new from old). *So it must have come from the factory like that.

Jim