Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mmmcoffee

Thread: Best espresso machine under $1000

Best espresso machine under $1000

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys Im new Im looking for a new expresso machine under $1000 whats everyones thoughts?? I was looking at a Rancilio Silvia.
    Also what grinder? Was looking at either a Sunbeam EM0480 or a Rancilio Rocky S (or anything else anyone suggests). I obviously know there is a price difference and probably quality difference, but is it worth the difference in $$??

Thanks for everyones help

TC

Re: Best espresso machine under $1000

Hi mmmcoffee and welcome...

I think you might be looking for an espresso machine rather than an expresso machine? :-? :P

Have a read over http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1232771497 which will be a good start...

This question has been asked many times and a browse through the forum will turn up lots to read...

Enjoy...

2mcm

The EM0480 is the minimum standard for an espresso grinder but you only gets what you pays for (I have one) and from all Ive read I wouldnt be trying to match it with a Silvia.

Go for the proven match of a Rocky with a Silvia.

Quote Originally Posted by 477B667D777661747C77130 link=1237515714/2#2 date=1237530030
    The EM0480 is the minimum standard for an espresso grinder but you only gets what you pays for (I have one) and from all Ive read I wouldnt be trying to match it with a Silvia.

Go for the proven match of a Rocky with a Silvia.
    I concur with TG on this, when I purchased a Silvia I was using a Sunbeam EM450 and it did an ok job, then I purchased a doserless Rocky and noticed a marked difference in quality and consistency. With a couple of simple mods Rocky is a an even better grinder. Some of the sponsors have Silvia/Rocky packages at pretty good prices, check em out!!
    ;) ;)

thanks guys!! Greenman when you say a "couple simple mods to the Rocky" what do you mean?? :P :P

I had a look at the reviews, it sounds like the Silvia and the Rocky are the way to go??

Hi mmmcoffee, simple mods to Rocky--teflon tape on burr carrier to take away play, stepless mod--$2 length of plastic tubing, if you search there are posts on how to do it, its easy as!! It gives you finer adjustment between the steps so you can fine tune grinder.

the question cannot be answered in the strictest terms. the "best" machine is that which best suits the requirements of the individual. So if we are ahandful of individuals, there may be 5 "best" machines in the group.

In my opinion, one of the best starter machines would be one of the gaggia manual machines, eg gaggia classic, gaggia duo, or whatever. Theyre mechanically simple and if theyre used by an operator with a good grounding in how to use such a machine, they make an excellent commercial style espresso at home.

The silvia is also good and is internally bigger so is "better" when you have people over ( ie can handle a small crowd at home).

Both will outlast the sunbeam by 3 country miles over a period of years with provision of service and parts and internal simplicity.

so whats the definition of best or better?

I think it depends on what you want.

In order of coffee machine life most would agree:
    1. Silvia
    2. Gaggia
    3. Sunbeam

However, the Silvia is probably the most the unforgiving to a bad technique. But will reward you with great coffee if youre willing to put in the work to learn how to use the machine properly.

Quote Originally Posted by 263F232722282722284D0 link=1237515714/8#8 date=1237596948
    I think it depends on what you want.

In order of coffee machine life most would agree:
    1. Silvia
    2. Nemox/Mokita/Quaha <<<<< You forgot to include
    3. Gaggia
    4. Sunbeam

However, the Silvia is probably the most the unforgiving to a bad technique. But will reward you with great coffee if youre willing to put in the work to learn how to use the machine properly.
    Mal.

There is a lovely PID Silvia in the hardware for sale at $900 its a bargain, with PID it takes all the temperature variables out of using Silvia.

Depends what you want it for. If its espresso quality youre after and you dont mind waiting for her to warm up then the silvia would be the go. But if you are like me and you like sharing the joys of coffee with friends then the sunbeam would be a better choice. I had decided on a silvia and was going to buy one the next day but when I realised that it could take anywhere up to 15 or 20 minutes to make four cups of coffee, I steered away and went to the sunbeam darkside. But it has to be said that I havent regretted my decision once. The ability to pour a shot and texture milk at the same time is fantastic and its always ready, no boiler heat up time between shot and steam. Dont get me wrong Im not bagging any machine here, just saying that these machines all have strong and weak points.

TC

The risk with the Sunbeam is that it may just spend more time being repaired than it does actually operating. I guess it comes down to how much you like looking at a blank spot on your bench.

All good coffee takes time. Cheap thermoblock appliances still need to have time to warm the group. You cant just turn them on and go. When they stop warming up, you take them to the tip :P.

If you want simultaneous milk and shots in a real machine, ya gotta pay for it ;)

The Bezzera BZ07 is a current fave at the less expensive HX end. It is the cost of 3 Sunbeams but will definitely outlive 10 of them if well maintained.

Chris

thanks guys just picked up a Silvia and Rocky today, so let the fun begin!!
    hey anyone know where to put the water in them... just kidding!!! thanks guys for all your help!!! :D
    sctsprin likes this.

Dont put water in the Rocky.