Thread: Silvia vs VBM Piccolo

Silvia vs VBM Piccolo

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    thanks everyone for your input after my first post and replies and now looking at replacing my Sunbeam with either a Silvia or a VBM Piccolo.

After reading a few posts here Im wondering which one I should be favouring given that most of the time Im making milk-based drinks, mainly caps/lattes, rarely do I make just straight espressos, and most of the time Im only making one for myself (not been able to convince my gorgeous wife into the joys of coffee), there are times family/friends are over and Im making 4-5 caps/lattes but it is the exception rather than the rule.

Would appreciate your advice whether the Silvia or VBM would do the job or should i be looking at something else on the market? *and if it is one of these which one, the Silvia or the VBM? *:)

TC

Re: Silvia vs VBM Piccolo

Quote Originally Posted by 1C3E2D3E323A33133E2B2B3A5F0 link=1237687510/0#0 date=1237687510
    thanks everyone for your input after my first post and replies and now looking at replacing my Sunbeam with either a Silvia or a VBM Piccolo.

After reading a few posts here Im wondering which one I should be favouring given that most of the time Im making milk-based drinks, mainly caps/lattes, rarely do I make just straight espressos, and most of the time Im only making one for myself (not been able to convince my gorgeous wife into the joys of coffee), there are times family/friends are over and Im making 4-5 caps/lattes but it is the exception rather than the rule.

Would appreciate your advice whether the Silvia or VBM would do the job or should i be looking at something else on the market? *and if it is one of these which one, the Silvia or the VBM? *:)
    Hi Caramel,

The Piccolo or a similar machine will ultimately be easier to use that the Silvia and when well calibrated with a Scace device will present you with a bigger bulls-eye to shoot at.

All dual purpose single boiler machines require priming- http://www.espressocompany.com.au/downloads/DomobarUserGuideSteaming.pdf and as such, the process of milk texture can be a tad fiddly. Theyre fine for 2-4 milky drinks though.

If you want convenience, you need to go HX and low $2k will get you a Bezzera BZ07 http://www.talkcoffee.com.au/equipment/coffee-machine-bezerra-bz07.php which is close in size to the Silvia and does the job well. A number of sponsors sell the Bezzera and for that matter VBM and Rancilio.

Happy shopping ;)

2mcm

Good luck!

If your budget is still $1500 then my preference would be VBM
    If you are near a sponsors shop I would highly recommend a test drive of some machines
    We all have opinions and preferences but you are the one that will use it

If you want convenience, you need to go HX and low $2k will get you a Bezzera BZ07
    This Bezzera rocks
    I went and had a play with one at Brazi and liked it very much

KK

no contest 8-)

Are the E61 SBs like the Piccolo capable of giving the clarity of flavour one reads about e.g. Lucas Maver review.http://pourquality.blogspot.com/2007...-maver_15.html

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 38272D3C212F232B3C4E0 link=1237687510/4#4 date=1237715320
    Are the E61 SBs like the Piccolo capable of giving the clarity of flavour one reads about e.g. Lucas Maver review.http://pourquality.blogspot.com/2007...-maver_15.html
    Absolutely. The Piccolo (with a little Scace assistance) can. Good water and good temperature control will make it easier.

We find a heap of variation in the Piccolo out of the box- and thats wy we spend an hour on each machine to ensure its right.

Chris

How about the Diadema "Perfetta" as a contender? They seem to be an excellent little machine on paper and Ive never heard of Diadema making a dud... ;)

Mal.

Thanks Chris and Mal, next question. between the E61 SBs Piccolo, Zaffiro and Perfetto is one better than the other in delivering flavour clarity.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 68777D6C717F737B6C1E0 link=1237687510/7#7 date=1237751143
    Thanks Chris and Mal, next question. between the E61 SBs Piccolo, Zaffiro and Perfetto is one better than the other in delivering flavour clarity.
    Hi Vic,

A toughie *:-/...

I reckon the one best suited to delivering clarity will be the one with the most consistent user on the group handle.

I dont know much about the other one, but the major differences between the VBM and Perfetta are the better build of the Perfetta- its a tank with ball joint wand and is gorgeous but uses 2 x thermostat over the rheostat control of temp on the VBM. The e-61 group makes it much more consistent than a Silvia.

I guess ultimately, the VBM is more tweakable as you can Scace it and pull a progression of shots.

I had a Perfetta while we moved house in December as the Veneziano moved first. Best shots of the week...so its not that easy...

For me personally, if I had to choose, Id buy a Perfetta because design and usability must be factored in as well. It really is a gorgeous little machine.

Chris

I have to ask this one, how would a PIDd Silvia compare flavour wise to these E61 SBs.

I would imagine they would both be a bit metallic tasting, although the VBM could be a bit more filling given the amount of metal in the group head :p

::) Very funny, but I would like to know the difference in espresso flavour between Silvia ansd E61 SBs.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 7B646E7F626C60687F0D0 link=1237687510/7#7 date=1237751143
    Thanks Chris and Mal, next question. between the E61 SBs Piccolo, Zaffiro and Perfetto is one better than the other in delivering flavour clarity. *
    Hi Vicroamer.

Between the Piccolo and the Zaffiro, weve never had much of flavour variations. Both has an e61 head and 700ml boiler. Both are great machines, deliver stable temp for espresso, and would be slightly more forgiven in terms of variables control in comparison to the Silvia.

Considering theres about $120 difference between the 2, I would also look at the following points for differentiation:

-The Zaffiro has full quality grade stainless steel casing, the Piccolo (in its black version) has black coated panels

- The Zaffiro comes with 2 handles, single and a double, while the Piccolo comes with only 1 handle and 2 baskets (the handle itself is apprx $75..)

-The Zaffiro has durable metal flick switches for the different operation, the Piccolos on/of & water buttons are made of plastic

-The Zaffiro gauge is located in a more visible location, at the top right hand side of the machine, while the Piccolos gauge is located underneath the steam arm.

For only the extra $120, most people find the Zaffiro a better value machine, however, if I was limited in height by a top cabinet shelf, or esthetically find the black panels to match better my kitchen, Id go for a Piccolo.

Ofra