Thread: What temperature is your PID controller set at?

What temperature is your PID controller set at?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I was playing with my new PID Silvia over the weekend, and noticed that it was set at 100 degrees C, which sounded a little hot to my "new to PID" self, so I lowered it to 97 degreec C.

The result was pale weak crema, so back to 100 degrees C and it was better ;)

So I hit the web and found not a lot of information about where to set the temperature, an American site refered to 221 degrees F, which converts to 105 degrees C.

So I decided to ask the collective wisdom of the snobs ;D

BTW, I bought an EM0450 grinder to use with the new Silvia, but the local shop supplied me with the horrible high speed burr grinder, EM0430, and until I got the correct conical burr grinder I used my Mazzer mini to grind for the Silvia.
    Had to go quite a bit finer than for my Giotto, as I had been warned by a mate with e Silvia and Rocky combination.
    Just thought I would make the observation and see what others thought :P

Site Sponsor

Re: What temperature is your PID controller set at?

105 is in the ballpark. You lose a few degrees from boiler temp (which is what the PID controls) to brew temp,

charlie

On a PID Gaggia Classic between 104 and 108 boiler temp (not water temp) depending on the coffee. Usually see a drop of 2-3 deg over 25-30 sec extraction. Found with my setup African beans tend to like higher temps and South Americans lower.

Jims PID kits come set up at 109 deg. C.
    It works for me and I havent got around to playing with it yet, but in time I will.
    Temp starts dropping after the brew switch is activated but Im usually too busy watching the time and the pour to notice what the boiler temp ends up at. By the time that Im ready to pull the next shot, its back on 109 again.

Cheers,
    Alan

108C, 109C was what I had my PID Silvia set, it was set at 109C by Jim when I installed it and was pretty well spot-on.

Thank you all for the information, now I need to wait until the weekend again to play, sigh.

Deffinatly too cool at 100 degrees C.

TC

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1238469342/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

Quote Originally Posted by 5A757F62365C7A7F7C7E6F1B0 link=1238401516/5#5 date=1238441859
    Thank you all for the information, now I need to wait until the weekend again to play, sigh.

Deffinatly too cool at 100 degrees C.
    Hi Andy,

You dont seem to have mentioned what kind of PID you have (one of Jims Kits, or something else). From what I have seen, a certain other brand of PID kit seems to have its default set point a bit lower than Jims (which is 109 degrees Celsius). If you dont have one of Jims kits, then changing it to 109 may be way too hot, depending on the PID controller. Basically, your milage may vary depending on what sort of PID kit it is, and how it has been installed. Also, you mentioned in your original post that 100 sounded too hot. The temperature is measured from outside the boiler, so the water actually hitting the coffee will most likely be a fair bit cooler than this (depending on the PID you have).

Anthony

Unless you have enabled the offset on your pid, the Rule of thumb is the PID is set as a boiler temp [since that is what it is measuring].

The Group temp =/~ boiler temp minus 10C, so 107 will give a temp of 97 at the group.

But Just do it by taste...thats the whole point of it.