Thread: Im new Please help!

Im new Please help!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have just come accross this site and wondered if you can help.
    I am looking at buying a coffee machine for when I move into my new home.
    I currently have a Breville ESP8 which is the same as a Cafe Roma I think ,it is about 6 years old. I bought it as choice recomended it for a cheap machine that makes good coffee.
    For the past few years I have been working in cafes as a barista and am now used to working with commercial machines.
    Now I dont use this Breville, as the group head feels too light and flimsy, the steam wand is fixed and when you make the first coffee there is no way you can get a crema on the coffee, which is really anoying >:(
    I would love to buy a commercial quality home machine like the expobar with the real group heads, but I dont really want to spend around $2,000.
    From reading your posts the Sunbeam EM6910 comes up a lot and I have been given a price from the good guys of $619.
    What are your thoughts on this compared to the one I have already got would it be heaps better? I am thinking it would.
    Also would it be able to make 6 coffees about the same time as making 6 coffees with a single group head on the commercial ones, as I would like to make friends coffee and all get to sit down together and everybodys coffee is still hot!
    Or is there another machine that would be better.
    I dont think I want a fully auto one as I like to make lattes and caps.
    And from what Ive tasted on the ones in hotels they are not too crash hot.
    Somebody also told me of the top of the range Breville, but I think the Sunbeam had more of a heavier feel.
    Thanks guys I hope you can help, sorry about my long post!

Re: Im new Please help!

May I recommend the Nemox Fenice *@ *$579 From our sponsors (no free plug here)

Or its big brother with grinder
    Nemox Dell Opera @ $799

IMHO Both these machines represent good value with good build quality for the amount of money you want to spend

KK

Welcome "latte girl"... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I can second KKs recommendation as I used to own an almost identical machine and it performed beautifully,

Mal.

Thanks Guys. I will check it out.
    If I decide to spend more money, I have been spoilt now and am so used to making coffee at work with a new boema commercial machine, I would really love to have the same standard of machine at home,
    What domestic ones come with a e61 group head and that you can make coffee after coffee with the same consistancy and speed Ie froth the milk at the same time as doing the pour?
    Basically I am thinking that if it isnt on par with what I use at work then I wont be happy :(
    But wouldnt have a clue what these home machines price start from.
    Was even thinking about getting a single group head commercial machine second hand but it could look abit ugly on my new kitchen benchtop!
    Maybe I would be way out of my depth and hubby will have a fit at the price ;D
    Thats why I was looking at the next best thing.

Hi Latte, you would be looking at a twin boiler or HX machine to do the tasks you have described.
    A machine in that category would set you back around $2-3K but would do all of the things that you require and if looked after would last you a long long time.
    You would need a decent grinder to go with it so another $400 upwards there depending on grinder you choose.
    If you purchased a set-up like this from the start you would not need to upgrade your equipment, probably ever!!
    Sweet talk hubby and point out that life is too short to drink bad coffee................good luck
    gm :)

TC

Hi latte girl and welcome.

The Sunbeam will do the job for you but be warned- there are lots of owners on machine #4 or more ::). Make sure that you factor in a good grinder and your required accessories as well.

I think GMs advice is good. If your budget can extend and if you make a lot of milky coffee look to a good heat exchanger or dual boiler machine.

If youd like to chat regarding some options, Id be delighted to assist.

Happy shopping ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 4D787572465A767F7F7C7C190 link=1238585788/5#5 date=1238627106
    Hi latte girl and welcome.

The Sunbeam will do the job for you but be warned- there are lots of owners on machine #4 or more *::). Make sure that you factor in a good grinder and your required accessories as well.

I think GMs advice is good. If your budget can extend and if you make a lot of milky coffee look to a good heat exchanger or dual boiler machine.

If youd like to chat regarding some options, Id be delighted to assist.

Happy shopping ;)

Chris *
    I understand about the twin boiler thing but what is the hx and how do I research that here?
    The other thing about my old home one is that it is noisy and makes a pulsating noise when using it. definately dont want that again, would the sunbeam one be like that cause it has twin pumps and not a boiler?
    I think the one at work only has one boiler but Im not sure.

TC

Hi Latte Girl,

If noise is an issue, its best to stay away form the Sunbeam as with miny of them you will wake the neighbours- the ones who live in the next surburb! :o

You need not be scared of a vibe pump machine as most are pretty quiet if correctly engineered.

As for the workings of a HX machine, CS member Randy is tha man with the website with the answers: http://www.espressomyespresso.com/ where youll find a page dedicated specifically to the HX and how it works.

Chris

I would think that if your requirements are for the ability to produce 6 or so coffees quickly (presumabely milk based), that pretty much wipes out anything in the 5 - 1500 category (presumabely you are swayed away from the Sunbeam) and you are headed up into the pointy end machines (1500 - 3000).

I will put a kind word out for Sunbeam however, if treated properly (well maintained, regularly cleaned / back flushed, not overdosed) then they "can" perform well. I have had mine for 16 months or so and aside from the head seal, have (touch wood) had no trouble with it.

But, ultimately I would guess the sunbeam as a 1.5 - 3 year appliance until you either fin yourself wanting to upgrade (something with a bit more steam power) or being forced to upgrade due to issues with the machine.

There is a plethora of HX machines in the low to mid 2k mark which would suit your needs.

Decide on a budget, (then add 30% ;))
    You can bulk email all the sponsors over
    <<<<==== that way with your requirments and budget
    they are all keen, willing and more than able to provide you with a number of options in most price brackets.

good luck

Sen

Boemas are frequently available on FleaBay. Theres one there you can buy for $1500 (2 group)

eBay link removed in accordance with Site Sales and Posting Policy

The Mod Team.

Thanks for all your replies guys, very informative, looks like I am going to have to do a lot more reading :)
    I am building a house and was looking at an expobar one which I think may be the better type you mentioned but then hubby said we could have a plasma for the same price as that! So a plasma it was ;D
    Then we got to the dishwasher stage! and Its between 2 models with $400 difference in price, so it got me thinking if I went with the cheaper dishwasher I could put the money saved to a coffee machine, hense looking at the sunbeam!
    But choice mag said my little breville roma still makes as good a coffee as these more expensive machine, so if this is the case I may as well stick to what Ive got untill I can sweet talk hubby into getting the real mckoy ;D
    But if the sunbeam or something similar will do a better job and wont get me frustrated maybe I could buy that and if over a couple of years prove that I am using it then I may have more chance of getting a "proper" one ;D
    Decisions Decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by 4C415454457F4749524C200 link=1238585788/10#10 date=1238644863
    But if the sunbeam or something similar will do a better job and wont get me frustrated maybe I could buy that and if over a couple of years prove that I am using it then I may have more chance of getting a "proper" one *;D
    Decisions Decisions!
    That it will. It is a steup, a noticeable one, but not a leap up.

I think your other half will notice a difference and then save for the gun machine further down the track.

Chris

Choice Mag results are full of crap!

I was once confused by them and had to trust this site and its people.

Freshly roasted coffee + good grinder is where their testing falls over.

The Rancillo Siliva is a picky machine, but will out do a Sunbeam or Breville any day of the week...

Quote Originally Posted by 7C564456370 link=1238585788/12#12 date=1238653072
    Choice Mag results are full of crap!

I was once confused by them and had to trust this site and its people.

Freshly roasted coffee + good grinder is where their testing falls over.

The Rancillo Siliva is a picky machine, but will out do a Sunbeam or Breville any day of the week...

I enjoy making coffee and at work everyone reckons I make the best *8-) not my words but I do reckon I make a good cup ;D
    With this in mind and that I do know a bit about making coffee but I not an expert by far.
    Would this machine suit me better in what way is it picky?
    Also is there somewhere on here where you can search for a model number and find threads on it rather than random posts that have the name in it?

Whatever you decide, the most important thing is fresh beans, the next most important thing is a decent grinder, then the machine.

It is quite possible to find good near new Silvias, especially here on CS, for similar money to a new Sunbeam twin thermoblock....
    While Silvia is a single boiler machine, it is capable of making great coffee at home, with fresh beans and a decent grinder, and it will last a long time if looked after, so either you keep her for a long time, or if you upgrade then she has some decent resale value.

She can make 4-6 milk based drinks in reasonable time if you are prepared, pull all 4 or 6 shots into well pre-heated cups/glasses (I *preheat mine with just boiled water from the jug), then steam milk.

"Silvia" is the model, and has not changed much for many years, apart from recent cosmetic changes, and the adjustable OPV. *But earlier models can produce great coffee even with the relatively high OPV setting, which BTW can be easily fixed by competent persons.
    Then there is the PID option for easier temp control....which can be retrofitted to any Silvia. *If you buy one new with it fitted, the price is similar to the VBM Piccolo which is probably a better single boiler machine. *After that the price jump to a home HX machine, which is simpler and likely to last longer than most twin boiler machines, is significant. They can however do what you want and do it well, without being too large on your bench.

Your other thought about purchasing a single group commercial machine is not unreasonable, however used single group commercial machines tend to be relatively expensive compared to used 2 group commercial machines for exactly the reason you might want one, whereas used 2 groups are not very popular for home use due to there bigger size, and some require special wiring.
    Bullitt

Hi guys
    I have managed to find the EM6910 with the free grinder deal for $620
    Hubby said I could have this one, Better not push him too far regarding a better one ;D
    So it looks like this is it.
    He said it had better make decent coffee compared to my Breville so I hope I have made the right decision and that I am not one of the unlucky ones who have had issues with their machine or I will never hear the last of it *;D

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Hey Latte girl,
    Well done on the 6910 purchase, i hear they produce great coffee with the right mods, i dont think hubby will be disappointed ;) do a search and you will find tonnes and tonnes of info on the 6910, Angermanagement is a great source of info on the 6910 too. Best of luck

Happy brewing!

Quote Originally Posted by 0004223B3B3E213639570 link=1238585788/16#16 date=1255741867
    i hear they produce great coffee with the right mods
    They dont need any mods just the usual dose tamp and fresh coffee routine.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 1824392228293E2B23284C0 link=1238585788/17#17 date=1255766952
    Quote Originally Posted by 0004223B3B3E213639570 link=1238585788/16#16 date=1255741867
    i hear they produce great coffee with the right mods
    They dont need any mods just the usual dose tamp and fresh coffee routine.
    TG is correct... AGAIN ;D

The Em6910 and teh EM0480 will produce great coffee.

HOWEVER.

1: Fresh good quality beans
    2: The right grind setting
    3: The right dose level
    4: Correct tamp method
    5: Some basic TLC and maintenance as per teh manual..
    6: Good water

A: Dont leave it on all the time

B: Purge and clean the steam wand with a SOFT cloth not a scourer

C: Do place teh double floor baskets away for safe keeping

D: Use teh double shot single floor... Lots of holes when ya hold to teh light.

E: The Mods that some might refer to are the Steam Temp and Flow as well as the brew head Temp... BUT dont fret... The default setting are fine to start with..

D: Use it as a manual untill you get the beans / grind / tamp correct and you know what you what and how long it might take. You can then program the buttons to stop at the point you want..

I always did mine at 20 - 25 seconds.

Enjoy the trip and search the forums... Yep, search the forum first.. As almost every problem or user problem has been spoken about and solved...

Hey Latte Girl

Good to have another fellow sunbeam owner among us, i have had mine for 3 yrs and never had a problem, cleaning regually is the key and as AM said the freshness of the coffee is paramount, also i reccomend with the group handle unscrew the single pour spout pinch the black tip together and remove the black plastic floor that is in the handle as it just accumulates muck.

Any questions you may have hav already been answered many times, i know i have asked them all before so make the search feature your friend.

Welcome to CS and hopefully ur 6910 gives you the coffee you are looking for