Thread: Rancilio Miss Silvia/Lucy overheating problem?

Rancilio Miss Silvia/Lucy overheating problem?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I have a Miss Lucy and the overheating/lack of water in tank light came on after I probably had too fine a grind in the group head. The machine is now dead, i.e. nothing works apart from the master switch and the overheating light that refuses to go off. The machine has been left to cool down most of the day and it still hasnt gone off. Im really annoyed (obviously). Has anyone else had this and how can I get the machine working again? It did this once before but the light went out after about 30 seconds and I primed it by running the hot water option. Now the light wont go out at all, even when its cold.

Any ideas or suggestions? (Brisbane)

A_M

Re: Rancilio Miss Silvia/Lucy overheating problem?

Sounds like the Over Temp fuse has failed..

Where are you located ?

I am North side...

I am happy to assist / look and may be able to carry out minor repairs.

AM

Hi,

I am south side - Cleveland. I work in Cannon Hill though. Am happy to travel to get this sorted out, although I dont understand why this happened in the first place????

A_M

PM me and we can chat...

Would prefer you to here as I have lots of bits and pieces etc..

AM

I just read an article stating that this problem could be the activation of a reset master switch on the boiler - usually when the steam switch is left on for too long. Its a relatively easy fix so Ill try that first and if it doesnt cure it, Ill PM.

Cheers

Site Sponsor

Hi; I found this probably this will help you to allocate the safety thermostat.
    http://www.jlhufford.com/images/ranciliotherm.gif

Good luck

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Well I tried resetting the thermostat and the red switch/knob didnt move at all so I guess that wasnt the problem. The light still remains on and the three operational switches dont work. Bugger!

A_M

See my PM...

Could still be a thermostat and along with the right test equipment I have a spare or two and an electronics store is not far away if needs be.

AM

Hi, I have had a similar thing happen to my Lucy as well. The tank was about half full and the low water level light came on which stops everything from working. The culprit was the water level pressure switch I think. I filled the tank to the top and then removed the plastic cylinder (item B) that has a hose attached *to the top of it right out of the tank and let it drain out and then put it back in and the light went out and has worked OK since. Hope this helps or give you some pointers.

Andrew. *:)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2022367F7F7A4F0 link=1239770615/8#8 date=1239972825
    Hi, I have had a similar thing happen to my Lucy as well. The tank was about half full and the low water level light came on which stops everything from working. The culprit was the water level pressure switch I think. I filled the tank to the top and then removed the plastic cylinder (item B) that has a hose attached *to the top of it right out of the tank and let it drain out and then put it back in and the light went out and has worked OK since. Hope this helps or give you some pointers.

Andrew. *:)
    Well Firey dropped around and the electronics looked fine.. I had red you post so, gave it a go...

Turned it on and ALL seemed to work... ;)

omy005, you and others may need to follow up with fierysport as he is new to all this and the temp surfing is going to be the issue... When here, all I could get was very hot water and lots of Steam from the head.. Steam wand really rips it out as well. ;D

Also could not remove the shower screen... Largest flat driver I had and while fierysport held the unit, I had two hands on the driver and the screw would not budge.. I under stand that teh unit has sat in a garage for some time... :o

fierysport you need to go hear and do some reading...
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1233383515

Thanks for your help AM and the quality coffee! Youll be pleased to know I ditched the old beans and put some fresh ones in today (after Townsville) and I actually got some nice crema from the group head. Ill give the shower head a go when she cools down and use one of my large flat head types. Fingers crossed.

From reading the above post it does seem like it could be that pressure switch thingy but shes working sweet at the moment. AM will also be pleased to know that Ill be polishing it up this weekend too so all will be looking good.

AM - could you send me that link or info for that supplier you mentioned (Acacia Ridge?). It was for a replacement steam wand and blank cap for cleaning the group head. Cheers.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 303F33242F2526392422560 link=1239770615/10#10 date=1240641182
    Thanks for your help AM and the quality coffee! *Youll be pleased to know I ditched the old beans and put some fresh ones in today (after Townsville) and I actually got some nice crema from the group head. *Ill give the shower head a go when she cools down and use one of my large flat head types. *Fingers crossed. *

From reading the above post it does seem like it could be that pressure switch thingy but shes working sweet at the moment. *AM will also be pleased to know that Ill be polishing it up this weekend too so all will be looking good.

AM - could you send me that link or info for that supplier you mentioned (Acacia Ridge?). *It was for a replacement steam wand and blank cap for cleaning the group head. *Cheers.
    Glad to see some things worked out OK... :-)

See the sponsors - Barazi are the closest to you I think... After that JetBlack and any number of others (coffee parts) can assist...

There are a number of threads as to Steam wand enhancements and plenty of guides as to how to get the most from your unit...

I trust you did not Overfill the Bean hopper and are getting a Click Clack lid ASAP :-)

Take care..