Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Pavoni ERH New Toy

La Pavoni ERH New Toy

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Couldnt resist showing off the new bling. I was going to buy one of these pre CS and got a little put off by some negative writings around the net. But throwing caution to the wind and the fact that some kind sole on ferralbay selling an "Expresso" machine *seems a few potential bidders didnt spot it *::) .

I am expecting a slow learning curve and while the first shot was worse than a sink shot number two had OK Crema and was quite drinkable as a Latte. The 3 hole wand is a fair bit different to my old Solis but the microfoam wasnt to bad either.

Horrid little 4mm under sized plastic tamper is on the way out ASAP in preference to a custom Pullman version *8-)

All in all not as scary as I thought it might be.

Toronto, New South Wales, Australia, Australia

Re: La Pavoni ERH New Toy

Gorgeous! I was looking at these but the "cheapie" chrome version is all my budget stretched to.
    I refer to mine as the Will-full Stallion on account of the wild mood swings, haughty nature and snort of steam when Im too quick trying to get the spent puck out and onto a second shot.

Quick question: does your steamwand sort of move too freely? Like, as I am steaming if I try to adjust the angle Im working the milk at, sometimes I find the steamwand gets pushed up.. and up and up...
    Was wondering if this is a looseness inherent in these machine or if I maybe need to look at replacing some of the rubber bits that the wand connects on to.

Very nice find though, they are lovely bits of machinery!

Mine was brand new in the box and yes the steam wand is really loose. Not sure if there is an adjustment.

I think I might also give it a small bend away from the Relief Valve drain to make a little more room for the jug. Also I am a lefty and my old machine had the steam valve on the right so holding the jug in the right hand is a little different.

Really needs a Brass covered Grinder as well :)

Quote Originally Posted by 3C3B3F303832273730395E0 link=1241086698/2#2 date=1241088393
    Mine was brand new in the box and yes the steam wand is really loose. Not sure if there is an adjustment.

I think I might also give it a small bend away from the Relief Valve drain to make a little more room for the jug. Also I am a lefty and my old machine had the steam valve on the right so holding the jug in the right hand is a little different.

Really needs a Brass covered Grinder as well *:)
    When I switched from Silvia to Maria I had to get used to steaming on the left instead of the right, it still doesnt feel natural to me but Im getting accustomed to it, I occasionally turn on the hot water valve by mistake!! ;D ;D

Beautiful pickup bf... 8-)

Looks a little different to the Solis 90 ::)

Mal.

Toronto, New South Wales, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 5E595D525A504555525B3C0 link=1241086698/2#2 date=1241088393

Well good to know that this is just the way they are... now to work on fixing it!

Im sure there would have to be a shiney brass grinder out there somewhere in coffee land! They have everything else! ;D

http://www.elektrasrl.com/bar-grinders.php Never used an elektra but it is brass ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 4B66626E630F0 link=1241086698/4#4 date=1241092829
    Looks a little different to the Solis 90

Mal.
    Like your new toy BTW, more bling is more better. Just a little harder to use but more satisfiying in a snobby sort of way ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 626A63666C66607A7C0F0 link=1241086698/5#5 date=1241093687
    m sure there would have to be a shiney brass grinder out there somewhere in coffee land! They have everything else!
    I was looking at the DRM and it is nice and square so a complete new brass shell could be done for a price ::) I had a bit of a look around and the only brass one I found was the fairly ordinary Pavoni one.

Quote Originally Posted by 4D61727469616C5F4D6F6E6B6579000 link=1241086698/6#6 date=1241094262
    http://www.elektrasrl.com/bar-grinders.php Never used an elektra but it is brass
    Thanks for the link the only ones I had seen from electra to date hade a brass body and a chrome doser for around $1300 :P The one in the link BTW sells for around $1950 so I might be waiting for a while ;)

Congratulations! Thats a nice looking machine. *I have a PRH on backorder. *The importer said it should be here sometime in June or July. *I look forward to reading your experiences as it should help with my own learning curve. *Please keep this thread updated periodically.

As for a brass grinder, you could always buy a little Turkish hand mill.

Im considering a Reg Barber copper-colored aluminum-handle tamper with a brass base.

Although one note on the brass, both grinder and tamper: theyre a bit of a pain to polish and keep shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by 3A323B3E343E382224570 link=1241086698/5#5 date=1241093687
    Macap M4/M5 have copper coated ( electroplated) grinders
    They are the colour of your machines boiler.

I have seen 4 set up side by side in a cafe
    They look nice and most likely cheaper
    (P.S. The Elektra are re badged Macap anyway)

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 6857544C695A52553B0 link=1241086698/9#9 date=1241669418
    Im considering a Reg Barber copper-colored aluminum-handle tamper with a brass base.

Although one note on the brass, both grinder and tamper: theyre a bit of a pain to polish and keep shiny.
    Wait and see what Mr Pullman is making me 8-) Aluminium Bronze was my material of choice as it only gets a surface layer of oxidation it is also much harder than brass..

With the Macap I have had a talk to CosmoreX and Attilio hasnt brought any brass ones in but looking into it for me :) In the meantime I like the M7/Electra version even if it will dwarf the Pav. On the wrong side of $1000 ::)

How goes the espresso with the Pavoni?

one word

"BEAUTIFUL"

that is all

Very nice. Took me a while to see this post.

Said it before, say it again, I love my europiccola...even if it is only the chrome one.

Quote Originally Posted by 043B382005363E39570 link=1241086698/12#12 date=1243245772
    How goes the espresso with the Pavoni?
    Although more difficult to learn than most other machines I have used, it makes exceptional espresso when done right. Being as objective as I can, I truly believe I get better shots from my europiccola than my mother gets on her Silvia, and even my brother gets on his Giotto (though I think he doesnt pay enough attention...am dying for some time on my hands to go and play with his Giotto in an attempt to show him!)

HOWEVER, I can confidently pull two shots on my europiccola, but after that am often heading into burn territory...the temp on these machines needs to be kept under check. If you are making for many, then this is not the machine for you. But for a couple, I find temp is not a problem for me (once I learnt my machine).

Pavoniboy, Ill most likely have questions for you when/if mine arrives.

sure is a nice machine.

well done on the typo ;-)

For quickly making 2 cups- there are few machines more satisfying. It is all about getting the grind right- very demanding on the particle size. You really need top change your setting with your beans. In general pretty fine and well tamped- but not too fine- it chokes easily.

new int he Box you say? That is a 1980s model with the old style drip tray (looks cooler than the modern one IMHO).

Surprised to hear all this talk of movement in the steam arm. I have two vintage Europiccolas and neither of them have any movement in the steam arm at all. Seems the design changed? Sounds annoying and just goes to show: older is better.

Hi Jack,

it is the new one, it came with the plastic one as well but the brass one is nicer ;)

Also small update since then Custom Aluminium Bronze Tamper from Pullman *8-)

Apart from that learning to love it but with the new tamper needs a coarser grind than with the plastic trashy supplied one.

Shot quality is great and milk steaming is pretty darn good for a small boiler.

Blatent repost of the Tamper Pic *::)

Quote Originally Posted by 46797A6247747C7B150 link=1241086698/15#15 date=1243255464
    Pavoniboy, Ill most likely have questions for you when/if mine arrives.
    No worries. Im going into exam period in a week, so if you dont hear from me just wait a week...I will be back once my stress subsides. Ill probably keep looking on CS anyway as a way to distract.

Just a small update. Fully in love with the lever thing BTW 8-)

Interesting the grind and dose is so much less forgiving than with my old Solis but once the grinder is dialled in fill the basket to a very slight dome couple of taps on the board and a good tamp with my very close fitting Pullman and the shots are coming out nice and consistantly :) Even the nearly choked ones still tasted yummy ;)

I have been playing with the Kyocera grinder about half of the time too and it has at least 3 clicks to spare and choke the Pav from whats is a good grind. More than happy to recommend these as a partner to a Pav.

Also been playing with the temperature regulation thing. Run a little hot water from the tap or an empty shot to speed heat up of the PF or pull a single stroke without the PF fitted and run some cold water over the PF if it has been left on to long. Not an exact science by any means but seems to work.

Milk is getting more consistant just need to work on the art now ::)

Nice piece of boing beanflying!!! ;)

I think so too 8-)

I too have been looking at the same machine you have there, beautiful by the way.
    I have always wanted a Pavoni lever machine , i was tempted when i was upgrading to the BZ99, but as you,everything i read led me to believe it would be a world of uphill struggle and not so good coffee until you get a handle on the thing. Is it as bad as everyone writes in terms of learning curve on these machines.
    I am thinking of getting one after tax time.
    The Grand Romantica takes me alot gotta love that shiny eagle at the top :)
    The Lever would be for my coffee on days off when i have the time to spend on it.
    Cheers
    Jordan

I had one of these machines for a little while, not a blingy brass one but nice none the less (so I didnt get one of them pretty ally bronze tampers either! :(). Ended up selling it, I did find it a bit frustrating but if you paid attention it certainly could give good results - just had to make sure you got the timing right.

Theres something pretty special and native about being that involved in the whole brewing process, and being able to vary almost untouchables like temperature, pre-infusion volume and brew pressure via very simple means.

Not claiming to be an expert in the slightest on Pavoni history but some of the issues with hard to use and overheating were addressed with the mellenium version. I suspect that some of the negative comment is based on heresay and chinese whispers and may also be based on the older machines.

The Group head is now bolted to the front of the boiler with a Teflon gasket between the two which doesnt transfer as much heat from the boiler. On older ones the Group was attached directly to the boiler, as the group was closer to boiler temp you got hot shots a lot more of the time if you didnt time it correctly. Basically the new one is more forgiving.

The group on the Mellenium is also 51mm not 49mm I read that this also improved the shots but I am not qualified to comment as to why :) So far the only shots that have been total rubbish have been caused by bad grind and bad tamping with the old plastic cruddy thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 7065727067627B7B7A7679170 link=1241086698/23#23 date=1244072036
    so I didnt get one of them pretty ally bronze tampers either!
    I do know a guy who can make you one for a price *;)

As to when you have time, the Pav will be up to temp coffee made and drinking before a lot of other machines are up to temp *:)

Im running a pre-mellenium Europiccola without the teflon gasket...so often you will see me commenting on CS that you can only get 2-3 shots before overheat (I will try to qualify that statement as pre-mellenium in future). I had read elsewhere that people were finding the teflon gasket made a minimal difference and were still overheating beyond a certain number of shots...what are post mellenium pavoni owners thoughts on this?

Does anyone know if this teflon gasket fits the pre-mellenium models? Mine is only just pre-mellenium - not a really old one like photo above. The group is bolted to a collar on the boiler - not directly attached like really old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D7A7E717973667671781F0 link=1241086698/19#19 date=1244033765
    run some cold water over the PF if it has been left on to long
    I have heard this many times...but does not make any sense whatsoever. The water hits the grinds and preinfuses those grinds in the basket - then you start actually extracting and the water again is going directly onto the grinds - after extracting through the grinds the coffee hits the portafilter. So the coffee is already burnt if the machine is overheated before the coffee hits a cold portafilter which may cool down the coffee - but it is already burnt! Isnt it the same as burning a coffee and then leaving it to cool? It aint gonna get less burnt! (I always heat my portafilter in an attempt to conserve the same temp throughout the pour and not cool down my coffee.)

Having said all that...I love my europiccola. I am the only coffee drinker in my house, so usually only making one at a time and overheating is not an issue. I make great shots from it consistently. As to steep learning curves...I think it depends on how much of a hill-climber you are. Some people just cannot be bothered. Others like me love it - not too steep at all. Didnt take that long to work it all out and have great shots.

Sorry clumsey 11pm wording on my part maybe *::).

Run a little water to cool the PF and run a shot from the group. In my limited usage the water sitting high up in the boiler or near the group in the pipework seems to be at or near the boil if it is left on for a long time so it is akin to a cooling flush with a HX, the water during this shot bubbles as it comes out, but a second blank shot doesnt. Then providing the temp of the brew water in the boiler is correct the shot should be fine. *

Brew water after the first element cycle should be at the same temp and pressure as after 10 or 20 cycles but to my way of thinking it is the brass group *bits that will continue to get hotter over time.

Not scientific testing but then it is a simple machine :) Maybe time to temp log one of these ;)

Beanflying,

do you know if the collar that the grouphead attaches to on the post millenium is the same collar on the pre? I am hoping to give that teflon gasket a go if it would fit. They look the same in photos...but you know the saying, deceiving it may be.

Not sure, most likely need to lok at the part numbers on the spare parts list or maybe look at the Orphan Espresso site. Sounds like the only difference between yours and mine wil be the Group Gasket and Basket size.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A7D79767E746171767F180 link=1241086698/24#24 date=1244074772
    Not claiming to be an expert in the slightest on Pavoni history but some of the issues with hard to use and overheating were addressed with the mellenium version. I suspect that some of the negative comment is based on heresay and chinese whispers and may also be based on the older machines.

The Group head is now bolted to the front of the boiler with a Teflon gasket between the two which doesnt transfer as much heat from the boiler. On older ones the Group was attached directly to the boiler, as the group was closer to boiler temp you got hot shots a lot more of the time if you didnt time it correctly. Basically the new one is more forgiving.

The group on the Mellenium is also 51mm not 49mm I read that this also improved the shots but I am not qualified to comment as to why :) So far the only shots that have been total rubbish have been caused by bad grind and bad tamping with the old plastic cruddy thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 7065727067627B7B7A7679170 link=1241086698/23#23 date=1244072036
    so I didnt get one of them pretty ally bronze tampers either!
    I do know a guy who can make you one for a price *;)

As to when you have time, the Pav will be up to temp coffee made and drinking before a lot of other machines are up to temp *:)
    Interesting to read that BF, would be interesting to try a later one and see how it goes. I guess the old model quotes are always a problem - the same thing happens with Hottops - you still get people rolling out quotes from 2003 about the original model, or product comparisons against the D from 2005 and applying it to the new programmable ones when the newer ones are an entirely different beast. Itll be encouraging if these newer Pavs are a good step up from the old ones, perhaps preaching this message is your calling in life! ;D

Slightly off topic but the Hottop thing is very true, my D is a newer model lthan Andys and mine runs 2-3 minutes quicker and Andys nearly runs out of time. So my take on a Hottop D is different to another with the same model.

Given the 40 years of the Pav (I think) there has been plenty of minor changes along the way.

BTW No one else go out and buy one of these I like being different :D

Off to go practice some more with a little MTE549 *8-)

Sorry for all the questions now Beanflying, but how many shots can you pull on your post mellenium before overheating, if overheating at all?

I would agree with your earlier postulating that it is all the brass in the group getting hotter and hotter that leads to the burning. After all the water in the boiler is boiling, and the machine relies on that water cooling along the way to the grinds, but as time goes on with mine that cooling does not happen as the group becomes just as hot as the boiler after a few shots.

I can clearly see how a teflon gasket between boiler and group can keep the group cooler when not pulling shots, but does it do much if you pull shot after shot?

thanks.

Pulled 3 back to back doubles into 6 single Lattes including milk steaming. PF and basket rinsed in warm water between pulling shots and I had one of the last pair and didnt seem bitter so I guess it was running ok for temp. Total run time from switch on cold to finish was only about 20-25 minutes I guess so the heat wasnt really a problem I guess. After this sort of session the Pav needs a refill anyway so the steam get bleed off top opened and more water added so this will sort of reset the temp thing.

Hottest shots have been when I have left the Pav on and made myself 2 coffees over maybe an hour to get the bubblig mentioned earlier. My normal method is switch on make a brew then switrch off, then flick it back on before I make another later so heat buildup is not a problem obviously.

If you were only to make espressos and leave the Pav on for a few hours you would finish up having to wrap the group in a damp cool towel, run the handle under cold water and wrap the boiler in an ice vest I think ;)

The key thing is that these machines are not built to be left on but if you do there is a cheat of sorts. Every machine I have either seen, played with or read about seems to have quirks to live with.

Just been looking at the exploded view diagram of the post millenium...and as a vague memory in my head was describing to me...there is a teflon sleeve inside the group head with the idea that this will assist keeping out the high temp of the group from the brewing process. This is the piece I have heard others say is not as effective as they had hoped.

Beanflying, is this the teflon piece you were always referring to, or is there also a teflon gasket between the group and the collar it bolts to? Mine simply has a sealing gasket between group and collar.

Quote Originally Posted by 595E5A555D574252555C3B0 link=1241086698/32#32 date=1244101584
    My normal method is switch on make a brew then switrch off, then flick it back on before I make another later so heat buildup is not a problem obviously.

Yes, of a weekend when I have several coffees in a row I simply pull a shot, turn it off....come back turn it back on to pull a shot and then off again, never letting it get above the temp of the first pull with a little cooling time in between.

Just had a browse of the exploded view too http://www.lapavoni.com/manualiduso/esploso2.htm I had thought from the descriptions given elsewhere that the teflon was between the group and boiler but it is as you say in the Group itself. All it will accomplish is to lessen the heat transfer to the group handle from the group. Seems there is only a simple Buna Rubber gasket between the Group and the boiler (still better than the earlier ones).

What was of more interest is the feed pipe from the boiler to the group. My initial thoughts were that the water left in this was getting superheated are most likely correct as due to the shape of it and how it comes from the boiler the top end of this pipe is sitting in the area of the boiler containing the steam so any water in this section will tend to become superheated too. So a simple purge of this wil mean you are getting water from the lower section of the boiler again and in theory cooler shots.

For anyone interested here is the link to the Pavoni site http://www.lapavoni.com/model.asp?line=domestic&id=13

Still had a fantastic double from mine this morning with the last of the Aricha #14 *8-)

Thank you beanflying.

Yes, just enjoyed a fantastic double shot of Wahgi. Am on study vacation at the moment and more study = more coffee so the pavoni is getting a workout.

I read on a vendors website that the Pavoni requires a special screwdriver bit for some screws (apparently the drip tray screw which holds the ABS boiler base on is one). *They sell the specific bit, but Im wondering if this is something that a home user would ever need. *I also dont know if this is for the current models or the pre-millennium ones. *What do Pavoni users know about this?

It is a Pinned Torx Screw like the pic below. Bits for these fasteners are pretty easy to get at most hardware or Auto shops if you need one

Thanks, beanflying. *Is this one of those things that should be in every Pavoni owners cleaning and maintenance kit?

The first time it comes out will be the last time *[smiley=evil.gif] it is a NON Stainless fastener in a wet area. Any machine manufacturer who shows so much care elsewhere in materials choice but so little care on an item like this needs a small kicking.

Small aside to this between uses I leave the plastic drip tray insert at 90 degrees to allow this area below it to keep free of moisture and corrosion.

Item will be replaced with a metric button head (standard allen key) *item. Things like this and the square headed bolt for the Silvia shower screen really make me wonder sometimes *:-/

Borrow one of them from someone head to an engineering supplies or dedicated bolt place and buy a stainless one with a standard head and do any others on the machine while you are going *:).

Thanks.

who did you buy your new PRHs through. Im in love, and have to have one.

Do you mean PRH or ERH? *La Pavoni has several, slightly-different models (http://lapavoni.com/line.asp?line=domestic).

Your best bet is an Australian vendor who can provide local service and warranty. *However, if you dont mind a little risk, there are some Internet vendors in Italy. *I just ordered a PRH yesterday from espressocoffeeshop.com. *They were one of the only ones who sold 110v equipment with reasonable shipping to me here in Taiwan. *If Im not mistaken--and I very well may be mistaken--Australia uses the same electrical standard as Italy, so your choices are much wider. *You may be able to order from italiankitchenaids.com, which appears to be much cheaper.

Thanks SlowRain,

but I did mean the PRH, and I have been looking @ offshore online shops as even with shipphing it is cheaper than buying here. but yes there is of course risk. I have also been looking at Oz distributors, and so far their price is almost double that from the UK or Italy.

So if i buy the 230V version, is it a matter of just getting a sparky to change the plug? or just use one of those travel converters? I have no idea when it comes to electrical things.

sorry this is off-topic now.

Australia is nominally 240 volts, with a "plus or minus" that can make your machine see 250+ volts. Some 230 volt machines are happy with this, some go "boom" or "fizzle".

Its easy to change the plug, or get it changed. If the machine has been changed to like our 240 volt power supply then buying a 230 volt machine may be very costly.

Greg

ouch ok, hmm maybe Ill pass on buying OS.

thx for that

Little fact here my machine sold new in Oz by the Australian Importer is actually a 230V machine.

Italian sourced machines will be fine as they run 230V. Internally there is nothing to snap crackle and pop with the extra 10V (nominal) as there is no electronics.

SSAA Wiring Rules...

STANDARD VOLTAGES
    Australian Standard “AS 60038 – 2000
    Standard Voltages” supersedes “AS 2926
    Standard Voltages Alternating (50Hz) and
    Direct”
    The standard nominal voltage is now
    230/400.
    Voltage drop calculations should be based
    on 230/400 volts for premises supplied
    from the distribution network.

All states of Australia are supposed to have complied with this Standard as of 2003, first initiated in 1983. I know for a fact that in our particular area, until I connected a Power Analyser to the Mains and proved to the local authority that our nominal supply voltage was far in excess of this most of the time (often >260V), no action had been taken to reset TXFMR Tap Changer Settings in order to comply with this. Since providing them with factual irrefutable evidence, they have now gone round and adjusted all T/Cs accordingly. Sometimes youve got to be a bit pushy... ::)

Mal.

You mean sometimes we cant believe the government???? OH NO!!!

Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast