Thread: Silvia shower screen bolt

Silvia shower screen bolt

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Has Silvia always been supplied new from Rancilio with the industrial hex head showerscreen bolt.
    I believe that Silvia was first introduced in late 1997.
    Can any of our sponsors who are or have been Rancilio suppliers answer this question, or any members who bought a new Silvia in the late 1990s.

Cheers,
    Alan

TC

Re: Silvia shower screen bolt

Quote Originally Posted by 31243F3B25342F560 link=1244028153/0#0 date=1244028153
    Has Silvia always been supplied new from Rancilio with the industrial hex head showerscreen bolt.
    I believe that Silvia was first introduced in late 1997.
    Can any of our sponsors who are or have been Rancilio suppliers answer this question, or any members who bought a new Silvia in the late 1990s.

Cheers,
    Alan
    No Alan,

Some Silvias also landed with a round (not countersunk) screw- conventional screwdriver style...

2mcm

Why do u ask Alan?? Do u want to swap it with a counter-sunk version of screw?? Great unit justba quirky idea :D

There was a discussion in another thread where I assumed that Silvia has always been supplied with the hex head bolt.
    Seems that I was mistaken. Just wanted to get the facts straight.
    I replaced the hex head bolt on my Silvia some time ago, with a modified countersunk head screw that I turned down myself so there was no need to modify the showerscreen or the small central ss backing piece.
    Thanks 2mcm for your detailed reply.

The only issue for this wanting to put in a counte-sunk screw is that if ur machine is within 12 months old it will void ur warranty :-?

Quote Originally Posted by 3434343A363F3F3C3C590 link=1244028153/4#4 date=1244111294
    The only issue for this wanting to put in a counte-sunk screw is that if ur machine is within 12 months old it will void ur warranty :-?
    You could buy a shower screen and water distributor from Coffee Parts. Modify them and keep the originals to put back on if something goes wrong.

Could very well do but that is quiet a bit of stuffing around. The bolt isnt that bad is it?? I havent found it so anyway :-?

DONT USE

hi
    as chris said
    some of the silvias came with a flat head screw. this screw has been used for years in their commercial machines.
    i prefer the flat head opposed to the bolt style
    graham

I hope mine will have the flat screw :)

I hope mine will have the flat screw
    If not just buy a s/s cheese or button head screw from your local bolt shop.
    I have had the c/sunk screw fitted for a while. A very effective mod at a minimal cost, a mod I regard as being right up there a with PIDs and commercial baskets.

I thought some drilling or pressing was also involved vicro? If its as simple as unscrewing the old and screwing in the new...Im there!

take bolt out, take to bolt shop. find a suitable screw and buy with money or steal. go home and fit and enjoy unprinted pucks.

hehehe ;D... Is that the Azz user/how to guide?

My new Silvia 09 has the hex head bolt on the shower screen. Noticing slight impression on the puck but not enough to bug me yet because the shots that come out of this thing are heavennn. Maybe they use the hex head so it can be removed easier if you cant get to it with the screwdriver due to stripping. My Gaggia Deluxe had a flat philips screw for the showerscreen and needed a philips head. Result is I stripped it bad once trying to remove it and that shower screen never came off *:( . Maybe that was a good thing otherwise I wouldnt have the Silvia now *;D
    .bill

I thought some drilling or pressing was also involved
    Yes there is how to link is Here
    Maybe they use the hex head so it can be removed easier if you cant get to it with the screwdriver due to stripping
    I think so but there is no need to have it that tight, and if the shower screen is removed for cleaning it wont gunk up.
    For me I found it reduced Channeling and the transition to blonding was easier to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by 253A30213C323E3621530 link=1244028153/14#14 date=1244148579
    I think so but there is no need to have it that tight, and if the shower screen is removed for cleaning it wont gunk up.
    For me I found it reduced Channeling and the transition to blonding was easier to pick.
    I read somewhere (I wish I could remember!) that the screw should only be a little more than finger tight. This is how tight I did mine up and found no issue with that. It probably is a good idea to do it that loose as it is much easier to get off and should reduce the chance of stripping.

For me it didnt reduce channeling or anything else. I still would highly recommend the mod as it is easy, cheap and the parts to reverse the process are cheap and easy to get. Also others have found a positive effect.
    It do one thing for me, it took out a variable in my mind. In other words I didnt have to question whether the bolt was causing channeling or not.

The screw only needs to be done up finger tight using a screw driver and the tips of your fingers. Do up till it just nips.

I used to get a fair bit of channelling when I first got my Silvia and decided to swap the giant Frankenstein bolt to a domed one with a lower profile and the channelling ceased instantly.
    No more fractured pucks *:)

Was that just a straight out swap Gronk? No drilling etc?

Quote Originally Posted by 636661677B686F090 link=1244028153/18#18 date=1244201768
    Was that just a straight out swap Gronk? No drilling etc?
    Yep straight swap.. although I had to trim the length of the bolt a smidge. The local bolt supplies didnt have the exact same length in stainless steel :)

stainless is the only way to go

If Im right - and I checked what Coffee Parts has for the screw, then you need a...

M5X12 Button head socket screw *(stainless - preferably 316 Marine)

Thats just for the screw out/screw in approach, not a true countersunk.