Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rancilio Silvia/Rocky 08 or 09

Rancilio Silvia/Rocky 08 or 09

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ok folks this will be the last question from me. For a while anyway! (I cant help it - youve all got heaps of experience & advice)

The minister for law & finance has checked the figures & with a little help from Krudd were good to go! 8-) *Only problem now is whether to go the 08 model or the 09. From what I can gather so far, the 09 has had some cosmetic additions in the form of Rancilio logo badges that dont stay on the group handle, also the an improved steam knob. The wand has a new 3 hole tip. Good/Bad?? Apart from that Im certain the innards are the same. *Sooo I would like to know from all you rancilio owners old and new (sponsors are more than welcome to get in on the act) on which to buy?
    The 09 is quoted at being roughly $100 more and if thats for bagdes that dont stick...well Id rather spend it.....on my wife(shes over my shoulder at the mo) ;) Is the new steam wand design worth the extra? :-/ *Can it be swapped with an after market single vice/versa?

Im very excited :D :D :D Its almost time! Hence me rambling on (apologies)

Thanks for all yor help thus far :)

Re: Rancilio Silvia/Rocky 08 or 09

Depends is the badges for u are worth $100... pretty expensive badges!! I like the idea of the new steam wand on ball joint. But I have a 2008 model and its fine. Save the $$ and put it towards a Mazzer grinder or something similar. Best of both worlds!! ;) ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 6F6A6D6B776463050 link=1244112038/0#0 date=1244112038
    09 has had some cosmetic additions in the form of Rancilio logo badges that dont stay on the group handle
    So is the one on my steam knob, which is now fixed thanks to super glue.

Quote Originally Posted by 6F6A6D6B776463050 link=1244112038/0#0 date=1244112038
    The wand has a new 3 hole tip. Good/Bad??
    BAD.. old wand is more powerful.

Personal choice- I dont like the steam knob looks too modern I think although I like the one on the of handle.
    Get what u like!!

Plenty of time to save for upgraditis in the form of a mazzer mmm. Incidently I forgot ask if there was a difference with the 08 & 09 grinder(rocky)?

So balljoint & waiting longer vs short wait and....do I need the balljointed wand?

Quote Originally Posted by 383838363A33333030550 link=1244112038/3#3 date=1244112818
    Personal choice- I dont like the steam knob looks too modern I think although I like the one on the of handle.
    Get what u like!!
    I think they both looks great... the thick wand also gives it an extra sexy look, but the 3 holes are just weak.. >:(

No dont NEED the ball joint. The other works fine. They have to do something new to warrant a new 2009 model- all cosmetic!
    Not sure about the Rocky- think its the same though.

As far as spending the $$ whats the wife think- after all a happy wife is a happy life!! I had a laugh ;)

Oh.....S**t yeah! I had a laugh

Im sure shed be happy with her nescafe cappuccino-in-a-sachet! :-[

Cant wait til I make her a REAL cap. Then all will be justified!
    So thats a "spend as little as possible" to answer the question mmm. I had a laugh

I like the idea of getting the addicted to good coffee- I did with my wife and all sweet from now- getting new toys is a whole lot easier!! She however doesnt want tone shown how to use it- likes me making the coffees for her!
    Enjoy ur new toys when u get them!! ;D

Site Sponsor

Get an 08 while you can - the only substantive change on the 09 is the steam wand, and there was nothing wrong with the old one.

The 08 Rocky has a solid, stainless steel base. The 09 Rocky doesnt ...

charlie

Charlie: what base does the 09 Silvia have if not a solid ss base?? :o how much difference does it make to overall weight- was it just for cost cutting?? Does it hold up to the Silvia name?? Whats ur thoughts on the steam wand and 3 holes??

was just about to email you for a quote inc shipping charli

I dont know how much you want to save, but I bought my combo secondhand and Im pretty happy with it. That said it was still under warranty and hadnt been used very much so lucky me I guess.

Just a thought. It seems they come up for sale fairly often as upgraditis seems a fairly common ailment.

You dont understand tashie.....I want it NOW!!!!! :D Gotta act fast before the hormones change(wifes) not mine...I had a laugh

Site Sponsor

The 09 steam tip does the job, no problems, but so did (does) the 08. The ball joint is nice on the 09 but its probably only important in the context of the new 3 hole tip.

charlie

mmmcoffee: I think that Charlie was referring to the *09 Rocky* not having a s/s base...

ohhh! Ive just seen the Compak K3 Touch. Might have to go the 08 Silvia and spend the savings on the K3....I can see this is going to be an expensive excercise... :o

Savings is a loosely used term... I had a laugh

Coffee machines are like iPods, plan to spend 50% of what you paid on accessories... tamper, knockbox, milk jug, thermometer, classes, and the list goes on and on

Hey short mac just seen a compak huh- what was saying before, save the $100 on the 08 and spend a little extra on a better grinder (not that there is anything wrong with a Rocky) but compak k3 better. Get grinder & espresso mahine now and extras after claim ignorance (didnt realize it didnt come with jug and good tamer I had a laugh) and pick it u after already recieving silvia and grinder!! ;D
    Good luck!!

Love the way ya think mmm... I cant believe Ive got upgradiyis before even owning any equipment :o

Ive been pleading ignorance a while now.....(im a golfer) :-X

ah I know the feeling ignorance and golf work so well!! Silvia and K3 make fora good pair... a little jealous... maybe K3 for me too :o

Hey mmm.....Just read Rustys post on grinders (k3t) I dont think you need to be jealous from his and others reports....Im gonna do more research on what grinder to go with the Silvia. Rocky is top of the bottom end & K3 touch is bottom of the high end :-/
    Thinking the wife will decide on looks and how they pair up(do they match the curtains) etc.etc. :-[ I had a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by 4C585E5E44484F584A4A4C4C2D0 link=1244112038/5#5 date=1244113096
    I think they both looks great...
    :o

I think they both look like a house brick

Yeah its not the prettiest of machines, certainly function over form...almost Bauhaus.

short mac - for what its worth, I just picked up a 08 Silvia and am entirely satisfied, although a ball jointed steam wand might have made things a little easier for a noob like me.
    Before you make up your mind, check with your retailer/distributor whether theyll be getting upgrade kits in the future - I seem to recall reading another thread on this forum suggesting that some retailers/distributors would be getting in the 09 portafilters and fitting the new steam wands to old silvias, for those of their customers who felt the need...

short mac, it comes down to which one you like the look of more, the actual small differences are just superficial make no massive difference.
    As far as grinder, go visit a sponsor- have a look at the different grinders they stock and ask their opinions.

I think the upgraded steam kit was something like $250 from memory...which is a lot IMO to upgrade a steam wand that does a fine job anyway.

$250?! Surely not! The regular wand is no more than $50-$60, which is WAY off that mark!

Guess thats the price of 2 extra holes in the wand?

Go for the 08 shortmac, the steam wand is fine, when I had mine I bent the wand arm a little to allow the milk jug the sit underneath it and give a better steaming angle. Get some extras clips for the plastic steam knob as I found they break quite easily (probably me closing the valve too tightly!) and at inconvenient times!
    Put the $100 you save in the grinder kitty!!! ;) ;)

Thanks gm,

08 seems the logical choice and as mentioned the rest of the proceeds will go towards tampers,baskets etc. Not to mention something for the wife...A box of golf balls perhaps! ;) :D ;D

My Diadema has a ball-joined arm, the VBM does not, and honestly, I wouldnt want to be paying for just that.

Put the money into a grinder.

Greg

it seems to be unanimous go the 08, grinder and a little somethng for the wife!! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 3E797A3932224A0 link=1244112038/26#26 date=1244180672
    I think the upgraded steam kit was something like $250 from memory...which is a lot IMO to upgrade a steam wand that does a fine job anyway.
    Theres more to it than just the wand; you have to replace the entire Steam Valve Assembly AND the Wand,

Mal.

08 it is....

Just waiting on some shipping prices from some sponsors and were done :)
    My wife is waiting for someone to throw in the "steak knives" gotta love her ;D

Another thing to keep in mind is the warranty. From memory when I was searching for a machine I think Rancilio gives the 09 model a 2yr warranty and the 08 1yr. I could be wrong on this but I know I got a 2yr warranty on my 09. From what I understand though not much goes wrong with them anyway.

regards,
    bill

True Bill...From my research nothing much can happen with these machines unless you cook the boiler, which is not under warranty anyways.
    Jetblack Espresso are giving 2 yrs on Silvias - nothing mentioning whether it be 08 or 09? Hoping its 2....Jetblack are looking good for my business at the mo...Just waiting on another quote from another sponsor. I live in Perth too I might add and would rather buy thru one of the sponsors here on CS as they and also a lot of the regulars here are most helpful to say the least ;)

You cant go wrong. Theyre top machines for the price *;) My brother saw mine last week and wants to upgrade to one from a gaggia as well. Hes found the 08 for $699 from a retailer here in Melb whereas the 09 is about $100 more. He says he prefers the looks of the 08 and will probably end up going with the 08. Its personal preference, the innards are the same and thats what counts.
    Enjoy it when you get it *:)

bill

Couldnt agree more Bill ;)

Cheers :)

is it premiture to say congrats on ur impending arrival!! It wont dissapoint!!

How Bazzaar! Im actually ordering it now! Who and where are you people with your powers :o

;D ;D

Mmmm where watching!!!!! :o

Attention packing staff at Jetblack...
    Get in early tomorrow morning and start packing my order! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to all for the advice :) Im no longer being stimulated! :( Until all my pressies arrive ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 3B3E3C32382A590 link=1244112038/34#34 date=1244269764
    Another thing to keep in mind is the warranty. From memory when I was searching for a machine I think Rancilio gives the 09 model a 2yr warranty and the 08 1yr. *
    If you pay using your Gold/Platinum credit card, youll get an additional one year extra warranty on top of the manufacture warranty. *Just check your card term/condition.

Short mac, just joined coffee snobs after doing a expresso mastery course at Epic here in Perth and like you looking to upgrade from an automatic machine. *Will be watching keenly to see if your purchase turns out to be all you expect!
    cheers
    D

Hey there drewn,

How was the Epic course? Thinking I might need a refresher. Supreme said they could do a 1 on 1 when I have an hour spare, but willing to explore other avenues. I picked up a brochure of theirs not long ago....Might have to dig it up ;)

As for the purchase.... Im hangin but Ill have to wait a little longer because of the long w/end *over east. (damn the Queen and her many birthdays) *;D

Great news on your much aniticpated new toys shortmac, have you got yourself a decent tamper, the one youll get with Silvia is plastic c......p, throw it in the bin. Put the single basket aside and only use the double.
    Once you have the gear set it up and have a play and get accustomed to it, any queries and all the Silvia owners and ex-owners will be here to steer you on the path to good espresso.
    Epic do an espresso basics course on Saturday mornings as do several other cafes around the city, its a good way to learn about dosing, tamping etc.
    The first thing to learn with Silvia is to re-charge the boiler after steaming as the machine wont do it for you, failure to do this can damage the boiler element and be costly!!
    Ill keep an eye out for your posts after your gear arrives
    cheers gm

Thanks gm,

I sent off an order for the Pullman combo (synesso dbl + tamper) straight after I sent off the Rancilio order. Hoping Ill get Gregs gear before hand so I can start off the journey without having to swap out baskets etc. Im hoping I wont have to annoy too many people for advice ;) What Ive done since joining CS is to copy and paste any helpful tips etc. Ive a folder on the desktop titled "CS tips" and its chokkas! :D

Also Im very keen to learn about recharging the boiler as damaging it will be the last thing I want to do :o

Funny how when I grab a coffee while on the go/working now since joining CS Ill have a bo peep at the barista dose & tamp - looking for technique etc. I was working in Cottesloe on fri and popped into Cimbalino for a t/a cap when I noticed the barista using a tamper similar to the plastic one you get included with most machines only it was stainless steel. :o Im pretty sure it wasnt one of those torque set tampers either. Just an observation 8-)

sm.

Hey short mac good to see ur becoming a Coffee Snob now!! U wont regret ur machine and the Pullman gear coming!! Get some good bean practice and enjoy it when it finally arrives!!

Mmm now just the long awaited wait for the arrival!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2E2B2C2A362522440 link=1244112038/46#46 date=1244378788
    I sent off an order for the Pullman combo (synesso dbl + tamper)
    Make sure if you ordered the ridgeless basket, you order the spring as well... *otherwiseeee......

SM, the epic course was very informative and they are very passionate about there coffee, which is starting to rub off on me, hence i am starting to follow you down your path to elightenment!
    I enjoyed the course a lot especially the excessive number of coffees consumed.

D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast