Thread: Expobar v Sylvia

Expobar v Sylvia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I need some help! Ive just heard from a cousin who has won a Sylvia & Rocky set and wants to know if I would like it or know some one that would. If not, itll end up on Evilbay!
    Trying to decide if my Expobar and Ibertial combo is better than a S & R, or if the grinders should be swapped over.

Im thinking the Rocky will win over the Ibertial if the Rocky is chambered (not to self: find out if Rocky is doserless or not)

In any case, the "winners" become mine and the other grinder/machine ends up on CS for grabs ;)

What does the CS Brains Trust think?

Re: Expobar v Sylvia

Well the Expobar Office Control is a HX machine and the Silvia is a single boiler, so the Expobar wins that one hands down.

The Iberital and Rocky both get good raps, I have used the Rocky and was happy with it until the upgrade bug got me.

I would keep the Expobar/Rocky and divest the Silvia and Iberital personally. Actually, I would divest the Silvia, Rocky and Iberital and buy a Mazzer, Compak or Macap grinder to go with the Expobar 8-)

if its free then why not take it and try out both and decide for your self. i am going to put vote for silvia with no experience with expobar

I would say hands down go the expo, being a hx machine. And I agree with what was mentioned, try and stretch the budget to get a Mazzer Mini, even if a second hand one, youll NEVER regret it (Unless you were going to buy a BETER grinder!!!). ;)

Congrads and good luck

Des

why not keep everything, maybe the Silva for out in the shed, and the Expobar for inside entertaining ;D or maybe the Silvia @ work on your desk, and Expobar @ home ;D

THe Expobar as others have said is better being a HX machine, but the Rocky IMHO is better, but also as others have said, sell the Silvia, and 2 grinders and upgrade grinders!

So really I have nothing useful or at least that that hasnt be said to offer... unless my first comment is useful I had a laugh :) :)

Lucky you though!!

Quote Originally Posted by 3535353B373E3E3D3D580 link=1247836363/4#4 date=1248044396
    maybe the Silvia @ work on your desk
    I work in a Gloria Jeans, not sure how well itd go down with the boss ;D

Thanks for the comments guys, I might have a play with the Rocky before I decide. Selling both & getting an upgrade does have a nice ring to it ;) The upshot is Ive already got buyers for both grinders & the machine if I do decide to sell them!

Decisions decisions....

SOLD!!!! sell them and upgrade to better grinder, youll love it!
    Easy decision!

Maybe take the Silvia in and some "good" coffee into work and then see what the boss says ;D ;D

While the expobar is potentially better due to the HX design, it may not last as long and be as reliable as Silvia as it is possible the build quality on the expobars is a bit ordinary (not that Sivias dont have their problems either). I have heard and seen expobars produce pretty good shots, and Silvias reputation is well known.

Rocky is probably about same grind quality as the Iberital, but is easier to make significant changes to the grind. Iberital is easier to make small changes to the grind so could be better for espresso only use, wheras Rocky is good if you also grind for other brewing methods.

I am tending to agree with some other posts, sell Silvia, Rocky and Iberital and get a good grinder, or maybe sell everything and get a machine/grinder package from one of our sponsors.
    Bullitt

The silvia isnt even in the same class as the expobar. Provided the Expobar is tuned well (doesnt run too hot, pressure is in the right range) it will out perform every time. Besides you couldnt go from readily available steam back to a machine where you have to wait for it to get to steaming temp could you?

If you can afford a better grinder this is definitely the best option/upgrade. The mini (I have no experience with the compak or macap) outperforms the rocky and is IMHO the best price/performance grinder for the home (this is coming from someone who has an Anfim Super Lusso on his bench ;D :-[)

Just make sure the cousin doesnt mind you selling the items if you do accept them. >:(

Quote Originally Posted by 0A2635332E262B180A28292C223E470 link=1247836363/8#8 date=1248223145
    The silvia isnt even in the same class as the expobar. Provided the Expobar is tuned well (doesnt run too hot, pressure is in the right range) it will out perform every time. Besides you couldnt go from readily available steam back to a machine where you have to wait for it to get to steaming temp could you?
    No. No i could not.

Just make sure the cousin doesnt mind you selling the items if you do accept them. >:(
    When she told me they were going on ebay I just said Im 100% sure I could find buyers for them. Didnt specify if that was me or someone else, but shes getting $1k for the two and shes quite happy with that! :)

Sounds like a plan., youve got it under control. Good luck with it all!!