Thread: Gaggia Classic EPIC WIN

Gaggia Classic EPIC WIN

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I had a coffee machine EPIC WIN today.

I have a Gaggia Classic and like it a lot. My wife came in and told me that someone was offering a non-working Classic for free. I told her to grab it – what the hell, its good for spare parts.

So she brought it home. Says that the owner said it wouldnt pump water anymore. Hmmmm... I thought a dead pump is no big deal, $90 will fix that. Wife says the owner has had the machine for 6 years. When this one stopped working, instead of getting repairs, owner bought a new one instead (must be nice to have cash).

Here is where the story starts getting made of win (for me, or fail for the owner).

I had a look at the filter baskets. They were so clogged as to not even let light through where there are meant to be a mesh of holes. I used one successfully as a sink plug. So I pulled off the showerscreen and plate. The shower screen had – I sh!t you not – at least a couple of mm of solid opaque congealed gunk and oil on it, rendering it completely blocked.

No wonder it didnt pump water! Clearly it had not been cleaned ever, or even backflushed occasionally! So, I took a couple of hours, pulled out the showerscreen and scrubbed it clean, same with the holder plate, put in a new $8 gasket, and used a $5 descaler packet to give it a good soak (thanks De Bartoli for helping me out with a toddler asleep on my shoulder).

My god, the first blast of water came out clogged with so much crap it looked like chocolate milk. The washer around the steam wand was clogged with solid black matter that was years of accumulated milk residue. 2 descales and flushes later, and its pumping nice clear water with no worries at all.

So, after about 3-4 hours (including surfing the net for half an hour while the descaler soaked in), and about $20 of parts and materials, I now have a second perfectly good Gaggia Classic.

Gaggia Classic RRP: $600.
    New gasket, and descaler packet: $13.
    Bringing a dead machine back to life by giving it a routine clean: priceless.

Here are a couple of pics of my new "twin" setup :D Mine is on the left, the one I picked up is on the right. The second Classic will shortly go to the office and replace the 8 year old Gaggia Carezza there... and the Carezza... well, that will probably make a good starter machine for a coffeegeek-to-be. Also a shot of the old resurrected machine pulling a shot to prove that yes it IS working well (the shot isnt great – too blonde – but I was busy taking photos and making sure the machine worked, not focussing on the coffee and adjusting the grind).

http://yfrog.com/6dtwinskj
    http://yfrog.com/0cshotuakj

Maybe in the meantime Ill use one for shots and the other for milk... take THAT "oooh my Sunbeam has twin thermoblocks" crowd hehe ;)

Caffeine Junky

Re: Gaggia Classic EPIC WIN

Top stuff SY! Can you imagine what the coffees tasted like on the machine just before the previous owner gave up on it?

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Now you might need a twin burr 0480 to keep up!, well done mate, bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by 48737E7270427E6979746E6F721B0 link=1247836425/0#0 date=1247836424
    A friend who is a gunsmith gets much the same results. He says 90% of repairs to malfunctioning pistols is nothing more than a basic strip and clean! He makes a fair living at it.

Greg

Haha that is too awesome! Nice one SY!!!

You lucky sod! :D

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 44716664546C716E626F67030 link=1247836425/3#3 date=1247877022
    Quote Originally Posted by 48737E7270427E6979746E6F721B0 link=1247836425/0#0 date=1247836424
    A friend who is a gunsmith gets much the same results. He says 90% of repairs to malfunctioning pistols is nothing more than a basic strip and clean! He makes a fair living at it.

Greg
    I would suggest that nothing more than a basic strip and clean! would do for most products..

Even the PCs here get it every 3 months, if only to clean teh dust from teh power supply and heat sinks.. Now if I could only apply that to the wife :o

Yep... I am still smarting after my dressing down.. :-X

Heres some food for thought, i own a SB 6900 and have been pretty regular with my cleans and never ever had a problem with it, always excellent coffee, mind you that has alot to do with the beans and grinder as the coffee maching but anyway. Went to work had work coffee, fully automoatic Gaggia machine, self clean the works, 3 grand or something, beans always fresh, that happens when you have 100 people at the office and 99 drink 3 coffees a day. Anyway people started complaining the milk was funny or the coffee was weak and the machine didnt sound right so ring Gaggia, the technician comes out looks at it he says there is nothing wrong with it, it cleans everyday at 6:00pm must be the beans or off milk, i have a coffee and it tastes like dish water so i grab the manual and it says 2nd page in every 3 months or sooner depending on usage it needs to be manually backflushed and descaled, autoclean just helps alittle bit. So the fact is, No.1 read the manaul No.2 technicians dont know squat and 3. i like my SB better :P

thought id write a short story i was bored :P