Thread: EM6900 group head(?)/thermoblock lifted and separated from collar

EM6900 group head(?)/thermoblock lifted and separated from collar

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys,
    * *Been a long time without a post from me...been very happy with the 6900 for some time after a rough start.

Its just turned 3 years old and so far has been replaced in the first few weeks for steam issues...then at just under 1 year the bolts in the collar let go (a known issue I understand) but *has been working really well since.

On last Sunday, the bolts let go again and boom, coffee grinds went flying out the sides of the group handle/head. Fortunately it was at the end of the pour so I still got a latte ;)

Anyway, being well out of warranty, I took it apart to see what was going on. *I was amazed to see that the group head/thermoblock is held down by 5(?) *20mm M4 bolts, most of which had rattled loose and a couple that had partially stripped thread from where they screw into the collar (looked like the collar is alluminium/soft metal?).

While the bolts are 20mm long, when screwed in fully, only about 2mm of thread actually holds it in place. *Not a good design IMHO with all that preasure and mechanical force - no wonder it let go.

They have a split ring on the top of the bolt...so I removed the split ring and that gave me another mm of thread to bite and I used locktite on the thread to give it a bit more purchase and keep it from rattling loose. *It feels very solid now. If it fails again (hopefully not for another year or 2), I might drill the hole inthe collar a bit deeper and tap it out to M5 and use slightly longer bolts (cut to say 23mm).

The seal split as well (~2 years old too) so Ill be off to Nth Melb. to get a new one this week and will then fire here up and hopefully be making decent coffee again soon.

Just thought Id mention this incase anyone else encounters the same issue and is out of warranty then perhaps you can also try this method (I did a search and could not find a related thread - but since foundhttp://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1233294485/6#6).

It really only took 20 mins to take the top off the EM6900 and another 10 or so to re-seat all the screws on the thermoblock (note you need a torx screwdriver).

Hope thats of use to someone.

Cheers.

A_M

Re: EM6900 group head(?)/thermoblock lifted and separated from collar

Quote Originally Posted by 313C29293831322B382F5D0 link=1248095145/0#0 date=1248095145
    Hi Guys,
    * *Been a long time without a post from me...been very happy with the 6900 for some time after a rough start.

Its just turned 3 years old and so far has been replaced in the first few weeks for steam issues...then at just under 1 year the bolts in the collar let go (a known issue I understand) but *has been working really well since.

On last Sunday, the bolts let go again and boom, coffee grinds went flying out the sides of the group handle/head. Fortunately it was at the end of the pour so I still got a latte ;)

Anyway, being well out of warranty, I took it apart to see what was going on. *I was amazed to see that the group head/thermoblock is held down by 5(?) *20mm M4 bolts, most of which had rattled loose and a couple that had partially stripped thread from where they screw into the collar (looked like the collar is alluminium/soft metal?).

While the bolts are 20mm long, when screwed in fully, only about 2mm of thread actually holds it in place. *Not a good design IMHO with all that preasure and mechanical force - no wonder it let go.

They have a split ring on the top of the bolt...so I removed the split ring and that gave me another mm of thread to bite and I used locktite on the thread to give it a bit more purchase and keep it from rattling loose. *It feels very solid now. If it fails again (hopefully not for another year or 2), I might drill the hole inthe collar a bit deeper and tap it out to M5 and use slightly longer bolts (cut to say 23mm).

The seal split as well (~2 years old too) so Ill be off to Nth Melb. to get a new one this week and will then fire here up and hopefully be making decent coffee again soon.

Just thought Id mention this incase anyone else encounters the same issue and is out of warranty then perhaps you can also try this method (I did a search and could not find a related thread - but since foundhttp://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1233294485/6#6).

It really only took 20 mins to take the top off the EM6900 and another 10 or so to re-seat all the screws on the thermoblock (note you need a torx screwdriver).

Hope thats of use to someone.

Cheers.
    Yep... The new ones in teh EM6910 are a little longer :-)

So how much spreading and misshapen is the collar where the lugs bit in ?

PS. Glad to see you got it working..

Re: EM6900 group head(?)/thermoblock lifted and separated from collar

"So how much spreading and misshapen is the collar where the lugs bit in ?"

There was no issues with bending/spread/shape of the colar...just that 3 of the 5 bolts had stripped thread from the collar to varing amounts...I am hoping that the combination of longer bolts, loctite/threadlock will hold it. We will see.

Cheers.