Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 100

Thread: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey peoples, so my 6910 is approx 18 months old and does on average I would say 1 espresso every day.

    3 days ago the pressure dial/gauge made sort of a little click sound and now doesnt move at all. When pouring an espresso the pump also sounds a little different than normal and when you stop a pour, there used to a little let off of pressure, but now there is nothing.
    The look and pour out of the head still looks normal, but the coffee is now quite bitter/sour and the puck is no longer tight,dry and compressed. It falls apart easily.

    Suggestions please? :(

  2. #2
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 767A696F6972631B0 link=1249003655/0#0 date=1249003655
    Hey peoples, so my 6910 is approx 18 months old and does on average I would say 1 espresso every day.

    3 days ago the pressure dial/gauge made sort of a little click sound and now doesnt move at all. When pouring an espresso the pump also sounds a little different than normal and when you stop a pour, there used to a little let off of pressure, but now there is nothing.
    The look and pour out of the head still looks normal, but the coffee is now quite bitter/sour and the puck is no longer tight,dry and compressed. It falls apart easily.

    Suggestions please? :(
    Drop it into the the Brisbane meet up and we can all have a look...

    Errrr

    1: If the gauge has broken inside, as in teh needle; it should not cause any problems.

    2: If the fine copper tube has let go, then it will vent and this could lead to any number of issues.

    If your handy with ya hands and a few tools... It is easy to check... But may not be so easy to fix. It will all depend on what you find...

    You will need to remove teh back door, the cover from the electrics etc and then using a special star driver remove the safety screw - Top Right. Then remove the side pannel. 2 screws underneath.

    NOTE: All this to be done with the power cord un plugged and switched OFF.


    If it all looks ok and no water spray etc, then have a close look at the fine capillary tube from teh Top R/H side that will coil and snake down to the gauge.. Be gentle, and you can just flex it a bit and if intact... Then looks like a Gauge issue.

    The other things your experiencing could be then due to any number of problems..

    DO NOT switch it on with teh covers removed... That would be dangerous, unless your Qualified and have the right safety gear and processes in place.

    OR...

    You could drop it into a service agent..

    OR

    An experienced CS person may be in your area and able to offer some assistance.

    OR

    Bring it withyou when you come to Brisbane..



  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1B343D3F28173B343B3D3F373F342E5A0 link=1249003655/1#1 date=1249006476
    Quote Originally Posted by 767A696F6972631B0 link=1249003655/0#0 date=1249003655
    Hey peoples, so my 6910 is approx 18 months old and does on average I would say 1 espresso every day.

    3 days ago the pressure dial/gauge made sort of a little click sound and now doesnt move at all. When pouring an espresso the pump also sounds a little different than normal and when you stop a pour, there used to a little let off of pressure, but now there is nothing.
    The look and pour out of the head still looks normal, but the coffee is now quite bitter/sour and the puck is no longer tight,dry and compressed. It falls apart easily.

    Suggestions please? :(
    Drop it into the the Brisbane meet up and we can all have a look...

    Errrr *

    1: If the gauge has broken inside, as in teh needle; it should not cause any problems.

    2: If the fine copper tube has let go, then it will vent and this could lead to any number of issues.

    If your handy with ya hands and a few tools... *It is easy to check... *But may not be so easy to fix. *It will all depend on what you find...

    You will need to remove teh back door, the cover from the electrics etc and then using a *special star driver remove the safety screw - Top Right. * Then remove the side pannel. *2 screws underneath.

    NOTE: All this to be done with the power cord un plugged and switched OFF.


    If it all looks ok and no water spray etc, then have a close look at the fine capillary tube from teh Top R/H side that will coil and snake down to the gauge.. *Be gentle, and you can just flex it a bit and if intact... Then looks like a Gauge issue.

    The other things your experiencing could be then due to any number of problems..

    DO NOT switch it on with teh covers removed... *That would be dangerous, unless your Qualified and have the right safety gear and processes in place.

    OR...

    You could drop it into a service agent..

    OR

    An experienced CS person may be in your area and able to offer some assistance.

    OR

    Bring it withyou when you come to Brisbane..

    cheers for the help. Do you think Virgin would let me *fit it in the overhead compartment on my way to Brisbane? :P

    I am very handy and was going to pull it apart and investigate. I did a little search and didnt find any help so I thought I might ask the question to give me some heads up before ripping in. Info like what youve given is what Im after. I have a set of Torx head drivers so I should have the right one.

    Any one else with some info feel free to chime in. Im gonna have to investigate real soon because I cant go without coffee for long.... :-/ Ill report back.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    759

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    matrix,

    There was a service manual for these things floating around here somewhere...which might save you a service call to sunbeam...not sure where to find it these days though ;)

    Another thing, when did you last do a chemical blackflush? It sounds like the pressure isnt being released when you cut the shot. Not sure if that would cause bitterness, but it would cause a soggy puck if youve dosed correctly.

  5. #5
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 505C4F494F54453D0 link=1249003655/2#2 date=1249007743
    I am very handy and was going to pull it apart and investigate. I did a little search and didnt find any help so I thought I might ask the question to give me some heads up before ripping in. Info like what youve given is what Im after. I have a set of Torx head drivers so I should have the right one.
    Do a search on me and look for Group Collar and or steam thermoblock..

    I posted some pics some time ago and that will assist you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5C5E525A5A54534E3D0 link=1249003655/3#3 date=1249009644
    Another thing, when did you last do a chemical blackflush? It sounds like the pressure isnt being released when you cut the shot. Not sure if that would cause bitterness, but it would cause a soggy puck if youve dosed correctly.

    A good point there..

    While you think it may be related... The off shots could be the result of somthing else and it is just timing that means your seeing both items as being related..

    Let us know how you get on.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    ok cheers for the help. I did descale today with the vinegar solution but it only helped slightly. I need to get some of those tablets.

    Where or who do I contact for parts for this unit?

    I found your post, but the pics are a little small...I intend on ripping into it tonight. Im a little worried about reading about a worn out collar. :(

    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1233294485

  7. #7
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,365

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 37353931313F3825560 link=1249003655/3#3 date=1249009644
    Another thing, when did you last do a chemical blackflush? It sounds like the pressure isnt being released when you cut the shot. Not sure if that would cause bitterness, but it would cause a soggy puck if youve dosed correctly.
    This was also my first thought - sounds like the three-way valve isnt going - which could be a failure or due to not following the cleaning schedule. If youve used it for 18 months without backflushing or descaling, your problem is likely to be gunked up three-way valve, showerscreen, group and pipes - which would also explain the funky flavour!

    OTOH, if you have followed the cleaning instructions and havent otherwise abused the machine - the fact that the manufacturers express warranty has expired doesnt affect your statutory rights under consumer protection law. ie if its faulty, theres every chance that legally youre entitled to have it fixed at the retailers expense.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 46444840404E4954270 link=1249003655/3#3 date=1249009644
    There was a service manual for these things floating around here somewhere...
    I cant find one anywhere, not even google. Its been removed from here.

    Anyone got a copy?

    Ive got the side covers off but cant get the top off?

  9. #9
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 535F4C4A4C57463E0 link=1249003655/7#7 date=1249023375
    Quote Originally Posted by 46444840404E4954270 link=1249003655/3#3 date=1249009644
    There was a service manual for these things floating around here somewhere...
    I cant find one anywhere, not even google. Its been removed from here.

    Anyone got a copy?

    Ive got the side covers off but cant get the top off?
    The manual is a parts manual and will not tell you.

    Re read my instructions. TOP R/H side in the hole...

    Here is pic guide but you do not need to do page 4 or any thing after page 6...

    It is an old guide and wrong when it comes to the Knobs etc.





  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    thanks for that, it was just the 2 knobs stopping it coming off. Now the investigationing begins!






  11. #11
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 5D514244425948300 link=1249003655/9#9 date=1249025925
    thanks for that, it was just the 2 knobs stopping it coming off. Now the investigationing begins!

    Interesting bench and tools in the background...

    When ya come up, bring some extra gear... I need to build some roll out drawers for the back of my Parado...


    That way I can hide my beans and tools and just have the coffee machine on top ;)

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    he he ya Ive got lotsa tools, Im a cabinet maker by trade but into everything.


    Heres what I think now. I think that theres probably nothing wrong with the pressure gauge. I think my collar may worn out. The GH seal looks to be in good condition, but the group handle swings all the way till it stops without too much effort so I think thats the reason its not building pressure?

    So, I have a metal lathe, is it worth making up some spacers first before ordering a new collar? How thick 1, 2mm? less?

  13. #13
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 3D312224223928500 link=1249003655/11#11 date=1249028070
    he he ya Ive got lotsa tools, Im a cabinet maker by trade but into everything.


    Heres what I think now. I think that theres probably nothing wrong with the pressure gauge. I think my collar may worn out. The GH seal looks to be in good condition, but the group handle swings all the way till it stops without too much effort so I think thats the reason its not building pressure?

    So, I have a metal lathe, is it worth making up some spacers first before ordering a new collar? How thick 1, 2mm? less?
    Bugger I want a mini lathe... * And the skills of a Cabinet Maker... *Would mean a weekend job rather than over a month... I hate doing drawers.


    Sb have a space for the collar... *It is made from Silicon and is about 0.75 mm...

    TG and others have made from a Cornflakes packet and it wil get yoy by.

    WHEN DID YOU LAST REPLACE YOUR SEAL ? *(the Blue one)


    1: A new Blue seal and a spacer should see you get another 12 months - with low usage..

    2: The Group collar is about $53 from SB... * *As you appear to know what your doing... *About an extra 20min to remove and fit a new one.

    NOTE: I have a spare spacer... What I need is assistance with Page 1 of this
    http://www.pradopoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1268&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a


    PM me your contact details and I will send down the spacer...

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    cool, I will PM you. I have never replaced my GH seal.


    If it is due to a worn collar, and a spacer will fix that for a short time, does that mean the group handle should be leaking/dripping out around the edges? Cos its not. Is there somewhere else it could be loosing the pressure?



    Anyone got a pic of the spacer, I wouldnt mind trying one this weekend?

  15. #15
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 414D5E585E45542C0 link=1249003655/13#13 date=1249029611
    cool, I will PM you. I have never replaced my GH seal.


    If it is due to a worn collar, and a spacer will fix that for a short time, does that mean the group handle should be leaking/dripping out around the edges? Cos its not. Is there somewhere else it could be loosing the pressure?

    If what you say is true... Then ya seal will be SPLIT and NO spacer will fix that...

    A: When did you last clean the shower screen ?

    B: When did you replace the anti-calk filter or do a de scale ?

    C: When did you last remove teh blue seal and clean up inside ????



    If you have been longer than 3 months and none of the above done... *Then you forfit *your Metal Lathe...

    Would you use a good quality chisel for two years and never clean / sharpen or store in a safe place ????? *NO... * *Would you leave teh Chuck key in the chuck on teh lathe and think it a safe place to store the KEY - NO NO NO....

    A coffee machine is the same- they need TLC..

    Now when are you going to post the Lathe :-)

    Do a bit of reading as there is lots on teh Worn collar issue..

    1: Blue seal needs to be new..

    2: Spacer will assist..

    6:00 to 5:00 when locked in is OK.. If your moving to 4:00 worn.. *If you get to 3:00 stuffed...

    The spacer is as previously posted.... A pic will give you little info as it is just a washer... So to speak.

    OD * * 2 and 3/4" * *ID *2 and 1/4" * thickness = 0.75mm

    NOTE: See above. Seal stuffed then spacer will not help.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    I just tossed in 2 thin cardboard spacers. Handle is nice and tight at about 5:30.....no joy...no action at the dial and still seem like no pressure building up. :(

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    759

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    but you say that it still flows ok with coffee in the basket? That would mean its not the pump, right?

  18. #18
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2E223137312A3B430 link=1249003655/15#15 date=1249031696
    I just tossed in 2 thin cardboard spacers. Handle is nice and tight at about 5:30.....no joy...no action at the dial and still seem like no pressure building up. :(
    If the Seal stuffed, then spacer will not help.

    Have a look and when you flex it if the groves are actually split... Then as I said "Seal stuffed, then spacer will not help".

  19. #19
    Senior Member Coffee2Di4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ipswich, QLD
    Posts
    1,472

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    OT Reply...

    AM if you still havent started your drawers by the time we get up there in January, Pete build roller drawers for our Nissan Terrano II, including carpeting and locks (look like professional jobs!), so Im sure he could give you a hand with it...

    Otherwise, not going to contribute to this thread - a handyman, I aint! But it is really interesting to see the Sunny all opened up.

    ;)

  20. #20
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    OTR is here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1249083767/0#0

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    OK Ive tested a few things. Disconnected the pressure gauge and introduced a little compressed air to it, that works. So that means Im loosing pressure somewhere.

    Ive inspected the GH seal thoroughly and cannot see any splits, cracks etc. Adding some cardboard spacer improved the lock off position but made no difference to pressure.

    No I am thinking it could be the 3-way valve?


    this article is interesting and could be what has happened to me.....I never backflushed my machine once! :(

    http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/3way/intro.html
    Can anyone direct me to where the 3 way valve is? (thats apparently not a true 3 way valve)

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Can someone confirm or deny these items?

    I could work out exactly what they are, but I really want to minimise how much I pull apart.

    I need to get this working, I dusted off the old Cafe Roma and its just wrong in so many ways compared to the 6910. :(



  23. #23
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 69657670766D7C040 link=1249003655/20#20 date=1249086277
    OK Ive tested a few things. Disconnected the pressure gauge and introduced a little compressed air to it, that works. So that means Im loosing pressure somewhere.

    Ive inspected the GH seal thoroughly and cannot see any splits, cracks etc. Adding some cardboard spacer improved the lock off position but made no difference to pressure.

    No I am thinking it could be the 3-way valve?


    this article is interesting and could be what has happened to me.....I never backflushed my machine once! :(

    http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/3way/intro.html
    Can anyone direct me to where the 3 way valve is? (thats apparently not a true 3 way valve)
    If you have never replaced your seal... *It will be dead... *Even at 6 months I have not seen one that is not well on the way out... *With teh seal out flex it and look at the groves... *They are just shallow groves... If they are deep etc then teh seal is stuffed... *Will send a pic once I get home... *At the Vs at present haveing a coffee :-) *Cupping about to start.

    Your could have also had the collar come away from teh head... *Check teh head screws... Note you will need teh top off to do this...


    Here is a pic of a NEW one and one I pulled from another machine... My grubby finger is attempting to point / demonstrate the deep cut into the seal, while the new one is in the background.



    NOTE: Some one tried to use a sealant on the old one, but they did not understand the physics and teh way the shower head and screen fit into the seal....

    Trust this helps.



  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 527D7476615E727D7274767E767D67130 link=1249003655/22#22 date=1249087775
    If you have never replaced your seal...It will be dead...Even at 6 months I have not seen one that is not well on the way out...With teh seal out flex it and look at the groves...They are just shallow groves... If they are deep etc then teh seal is stuffed...Will send a pic once I get home...At the Vs at present haveing a coffee SmileyCupping about to start.

    Your could have also had the collar come away from teh head...Check teh head screws... Note you will need teh top off to do this...


    Here is a pic of a NEW one and one I pulled from another machine... My grubby finger is attempting to point / demonstrate the deep cut into the seal, while the new one is in the background.

    ...

    NOTE: Some one tried to use a sealant on the old one, but they did not understand the physics and teh way the shower head and screen fit into the seal....

    Trust this helps.


    Back to top

    thanks for the pics. Collar bolts are all tight.

    I tested the electromagnetic solenoid on the pressure relief and that seems to be working fine. I think that leaves me with 1 of 2 possibilities. Either the pump cant pump the pressure anymore, or like you have suggested I simply need a new GH seal.
    With coffee in the group handle as per normal it pumps plenty of water straight through it, its like it simply cant hold the pressure.

    Im hoping all i need is the seal and a couple of good back flushs.

    Can I get the tablets, anti-calc thingo, and a GH seal from here?
    http://www.servicesphere.com.au/gen.php?id=59




  25. #25
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 6F637076706B7A020 link=1249003655/23#23 date=1249101505
    Quote Originally Posted by 527D7476615E727D7274767E767D67130 link=1249003655/22#22 date=1249087775
    If you have never replaced your seal...It will be dead...Even at 6 months I have not seen one that is not well on the way out...With teh seal out flex it and look at the groves...They are just shallow groves... If they are deep etc then teh seal is stuffed...Will send a pic once I get home...At the Vs at present haveing a coffee SmileyCupping about to start.

    Your could have also had the collar come away from teh head...Check teh head screws... Note you will need teh top off to do this...


    Here is a pic of a NEW one and one I pulled from another machine... My grubby finger is attempting to point / demonstrate the deep cut into the seal, while the new one is in the background.

    ...

    NOTE: Some one tried to use a sealant on the old one, but they did not understand the physics and teh way the shower head and screen fit into the seal....

    Trust this helps.


    Back to top

    thanks for the pics. Collar bolts are all tight.

    I tested the electromagnetic solenoid on the pressure relief and that seems to be working fine. I think that leaves me with 1 of 2 possibilities. Either the pump cant pump the pressure anymore, or like you have suggested I simply need a new GH seal.
    With coffee in the group handle as per normal it pumps plenty of water straight through it, its like it simply cant hold the pressure.

    Im hoping all i need is the seal and a couple of good back flushs.

    Can I get the tablets, anti-calc thingo, and a GH seal from here?
    http://www.servicesphere.com.au/gen.php?id=59
    The nick is interesting, but the depth of the main grove is significant... *Much deeper than teh new one I have on my desk.


    1: *For general back flushing cafetto is good - See Sponsor

    2: *For descaling you could use any number of products...

    But I stayed with teh SB tabs... *NOT CHEEP. *6 Big ones... *In a pack. *But if your using filtered water.. Then that is about 2 to 3 years so more than enough. *Both types as per the manual can be found on the evil bay auction site at times..

    3: Seal - Follow up with ya nominated SB service centre.

    I can only recommend Sparkies *@ Albion in Brisbane (details are around - Search) and I know a few others have got stuff from them and had it posted off. *

    If in doubt... Call SB to find out who is the closest to you.

    So what have you learnt to date ?

    Maintenance is good and ones self Acknowledgement ;) *Regular *maintenance is even better for you and the machine *;D

    Note: Another little Jem I tried to live by at work... But not many would have it.

    “Mistakes will be made,” he wrote “but if a person is essentially right, the mistakes he or she makes; is not as serious in the long run, as the mistakes management will *make if its dictatorial and undertakes to tell those under its authority: exactly how they must do their job”

    (William McKnight, 1941, President 3M, Management philosophy that helped make risk-taking and innovation possible.)


  26. #26
    Senior Member Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Carlingford NSW
    Posts
    691

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!


    Quote Originally Posted by 5A757C7E69567A757A7C7E767E756F1B0 link=1249003655/24#24 date=1249102844
    “Mistakes will be made,” he wrote “but if a person is essentially right, the mistakes he or she makes; is not as serious in the long run, as the mistakes management willmake if its dictatorial and undertakes to tell those under its authority: exactly how they must do their job”

    (William McKnight, 1941, President 3M, Management philosophy that helped make risk-taking and innovation possible.)
    Great advice from a much respected past President of a great innovative company - just Google for Post-it Notes to see how this policy paid off.

    I worked for 3M Australia from 1960 to 2000 and can vouch for the fact that they really practiced what they preached :)

  27. #27
    Senior Member Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Carlingford NSW
    Posts
    691

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!


    My two month old seal had a nick just like the one in this photo. I rang SB and they asked for a copy of my receipt and sent me a new seal :D

    I noticed the nick during a cleaning session end decided to have it replaced even though it hadnt yet caused any problems.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 133C3537201F333C3335373F373C26520 link=1249003655/14#14 date=1249029779
    Now when are you going to post the Lathe *:) *

    *;) here ya go.







    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZOA1zTI-fA[/media] *[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBZ3jbJT1-U[/media]

  29. #29
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 44485B5D5B4051290 link=1249003655/27#27 date=1249180531
    AngerManagement wrote on 31. Jul 2009 at 18:42:
    Now when are you going to post the Lathe * *



    * here ya go.
    Bugger Bugger...

    I knew I should have been more definitive in my wording and not left you an out...


    My eyes have just swelled up and the envy is oozing form all body orifices...


    I say it with passion and with respect.


    Your a right BASTARD ;) [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]


    When Metal working upgradeitius hits... I want first dibs...

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    been looking at these ^^^^ on the Gbay

    whats it like ? i have seen the forums on them but have not done a lot of investigating.


  31. #31
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Ive looked at these too.

    One day.....

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Ive come this far so I thought I may as well check out the collar. Do you think its worth getting a new one?











  33. #33
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 5A564543455E4F370 link=1249003655/31#31 date=1249198179
    Ive come this far so I thought I may as well check out the collar. Do you think its worth getting a new one?
    If you have had 18 months out of it.. It is not bad... Seen worse after 6 months...

    A new seal etc will only do so much... A new Collar will make it like new..

    As said previously... It should be about $52 so is a small outlay to keep you going for some time and will allow you to research and upgrade some time in teh future.

    AM

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 7D525B594E715D525D5B59515952483C0 link=1249003655/32#32 date=1249200014
    If you have had 18 months out of it..It is not bad... Seen worse after 6 months...

    A new seal etc will only do so much... A new Collar will make it like new..

    As said previously...It should be about $52 so is a small outlay to keep you going for some time and will allow you to research and upgrade some time in teh future.

    AM *
    ok heres what Im going to do.

    New GH seal and new collar, I will try calling a few places in Melb and if no luck then Ill try interstate, I need it asap. :( Any suggestions of interstate places to get Sunbeam parts?

    I will also make an order from Coffeeparts....

    [ch9679]Restore Descaler (4 pack), 4 x 25g

    [ch9679]Espresso Clean 1 Kg


    Let me know if you think I should do something else, cheers Timbo....(with a new sense of responsible Espresso machine maintenance regime) :-[

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    759

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    What is picture number three?

  36. #36
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 313D2E282E35245C0 link=1249003655/33#33 date=1249201173
    Quote Originally Posted by 7D525B594E715D525D5B59515952483C0 link=1249003655/32#32 date=1249200014
    If you have had 18 months out of it..It is not bad... Seen worse after 6 months...

    A new seal etc will only do so much... A new Collar will make it like new..

    As said previously...It should be about $52 so is a small outlay to keep you going for some time and will allow you to research and upgrade some time in teh future.

    AM *
    ok heres what Im going to do.

    New GH seal and new collar, I will try calling a few places in Melb and if no luck then Ill try interstate, I need it asap. :( Any suggestions of interstate places to get Sunbeam parts?

    I will also make an order from Coffeeparts....

    [ch9679]Restore Descaler (4 pack), 4 x 25g

    [ch9679]Espresso Clean 1 Kg


    Let me know if you think I should do something else, cheers Timbo....(with a new sense of responsible Espresso machine maintenance regime) :-[
    Interstate = Sparkies at Albion... See what the TAT is... and How much..

    I have a NEW one and a new seal... *So if time frames are an issue...

    You order and have it held for me and I will send down teh new ones tomorrow.

    PM ME...

    Quote Originally Posted by 3D3F333B3B35322F5C0 link=1249003655/34#34 date=1249201511
    What is picture number three?

    That is the one way valve :-) *If Water come out the HW spout when pouring a shot OR as what usually happened... When you select Hot Water... It also comes out the group head...

    It usually means there is coffee crap caught in it..

    A simple *5 min fix to clean, that a number have waited two week to have teh service people fix.



  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 72707C74747A7D60130 link=1249003655/34#34 date=1249201511
    What is picture number three?


  38. #38
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 58544741475C4D350 link=1249003655/36#36 date=1249202134
    Quote Originally Posted by 72707C74747A7D60130 link=1249003655/34#34 date=1249201511
    What is picture number three?

    hOpe your going to clean all that up :-)

    Naughty... Letting it get that BAD ::)

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    759

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 5A757C7E69567A757A7C7E767E756F1B0 link=1249003655/35#35 date=1249202087
    A simple5 min fix, that a number have waited two week to have teh service people fix.
    Just undo the bolt behind the shower screen?

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 6E41484A5D624E414E484A424A415B2F0 link=1249003655/37#37 date=1249202235
    hOpe your going to clean all that up Smiley

    Naughty... Letting it get that BADRoll Eyes

    yeah I know. The thing just worked flawlessly for so long I thought it didnt need it. :-[ Plus people always said melbourne water is super clean, so that and the fact that I always used filtered water I never gave it a second thought...until now.

    Think I need to change my ways, just lost a good girlfriend for similar reasons. :(

  41. #41
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 63616D65656B6C71020 link=1249003655/38#38 date=1249202239
    Quote Originally Posted by 5A757C7E69567A757A7C7E767E756F1B0 link=1249003655/35#35 date=1249202087
    A simple5 min fix, that a number have waited two week to have teh service people fix.
    Just undo the bolt behind the shower screen?
    If you want to take it out - YES..

    Crap can get in there and or the spring gets sticky..

    That is why the right cleaners are important...

    The wrong cleaners do not have any surfactant and also destroy any o-rings and or rubber seals..


    It is also why you should clean and on occasion go a little further..


  42. #42
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 34382B2D2B3021590 link=1249003655/39#39 date=1249202437
    Quote Originally Posted by 6E41484A5D624E414E484A424A415B2F0 link=1249003655/37#37 date=1249202235
    hOpe your going to clean all that up Smiley

    Naughty... Letting it get that BADRoll Eyes

    yeah I know. The thing just worked flawlessly for so long I thought it didnt need it. :-[ Plus people always said melbourne water is super clean, so that and the fact that I always used filtered water I never gave it a second thought...until now.

    Think I need to change my ways, just lost a good girlfriend for similar reasons. :(
    OTR... Sorry to hear.. Things happen for many reasons and some are not clear for many years or at all to those directly involved..

    In today s fast world, we (me included) often take people and things for granted... As like with working on live electrical stuff... Famarility breads contempt... Thus with electricity it can kill you..

    With relationships... It hurts... I think I can say with a level of certainty, is that we have all been there to some extent... The thing is to look forward / grow and move on...

    With a coffee machine, it means you upgrade or spend money trying to fix...

    Either way... Forward is the only option...

    Take care... As I said if ya need teh parts ASAP... PM me with ya delivery address etc..

    AM

  43. #43
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1B343D3F28173B343B3D3F373F342E5A0 link=1249003655/40#40 date=1249202449
    If you want to take it out - YES..
    Its mentioned in the 6900 seal changing instructions, which they sent me to change the seal on the 6910.

  44. #44
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Tim

    Express post bag all packed and ready to be dropped of first thing in the morning..

    Let us know how ya go with ordering the parts in.

    AM

  45. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    79

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Jumping in here pretty late...but the fault symptoms sound very similar to what I had just over a year ago (and out of the 12 month Warranty period). *I took it to a repairer and expected to pay some $$$, but Sunbeam replaced the whole machine under Warranty.

    This is the one that I have now had for just over a year *and all working well *:).

    Probably too late, but I would have taken it to a repairer first.

    http://cremamagazine.sitesuite.ws/forums/YaBB.cgi?num=1211109791

    (I hope its not against forum rules to link to another site)

  46. #46
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 4364656E787F544C6A716A0B0 link=1249003655/44#44 date=1249388656
    Jumping in here pretty late...but the fault symptoms sound very similar to what I had just over a year ago (and out of the 12 month Warranty period). *I took it to a repairer and expected to pay some $$$, but Sunbeam replaced the whole machine under Warranty.

    This is the one that I have now had for just over a year *and all working well *:).

    Probably too late, but I would have taken it to a repairer first.

    If it was an EM6900 ... SB was doing that... With the later EM86910s they have become a little more discerning as to what they do and how they do it..

    I think Tim has learnt a lot, via this whole process...

    And dare I say it... On reflection... Has contributed significantly to the issues he was having...

    Further more I understand that a clean was carried out on an old stashed el cheepo machine and presto.. Coffee ant that bad...

    At teh end of teh day... I think Tim and others who have read and seen the pics have all gained something with nothing lost...

    Opps... He is still waiting on those parts I sent him... Express post is not always NEXT DAY ;)

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    ok now this is p!$$!ng me off. Thank you very much to Angermanagment who sent me the new seal and collar. All have been fitted, 3 sessions of Cafetto have been through it and 1 descale. Plenty of dirty water came out. After the 3rd clean it was pretty clear.

    Still no action on the pressure gauge and the absence of any pressure relief sound when stopping a shot is my problem...still!

    Watch this vid. That "ptshh!" when you stop the shot is what stopped happening before I started pulling this thing apart. On mine there is complete silence when you stop it. Throughout all the backflushing, nothing came out into the tray via the drip/pressure relief outlet. As the machine is still open, I can see nothing is coming through the relief valve exit tube (see my pic Reply #21 figure A.)

    bit of a dead end now....... >:(

    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfdkJoZkwqU[/media]

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Rothbury, NSW
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Ummm, dude

    I heard it...

  49. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    101

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    Quote Originally Posted by 3038202A37530 link=1249003655/47#47 date=1249467389
    Ummm, dude

    I heard it...
    thats not mine in the vid

  50. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    759

    Re: EM6910 pressure gauge stopped working...bitter coffee!

    martrix,

    Ive noticed mine doesnt always make any sound when relieving pressure now, but theres definitely water flowing through into the tray. Run a backflush with the drip tray cover off and take note if liquid comes out the relief outlet.

    The bitter taste could have simply been a buildup of rancid coffee oils. Take note of wether a shot still tastes off or not.

    Is the pressure dial still reading zero throughout the shot?



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. em6910 steam wand stopped working
    By laser in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11th December 2016, 06:15 PM
  2. Replacing pressure gauge on EM6910
    By TommyV in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 26th June 2013, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •