Thread: Help required in bringing cafe experience home.

Help required in bringing cafe experience home.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im looking for some help and advice. I have a budget of $700-$800 and Ive been looking to start espressing at home. Been reading around this forum and others for help but seemed to have opened a Pandoras box. Ive decided on a proper machine, burr grinder combo but not sure if my budget allows this. Might stretch for a Silvia but "temperature surfing" worries me.

Any help much appreciated.

ps consider my coffeesnob posting virginity broken.

Re: Help required in bringing cafe experience home.

Welcome CS Virgin ;)
    Ok we need more info with regards to your coffee drinking habits

Quote Originally Posted by 55564948414F49260 link=1249132955/0#0 date=1249132955
    Might stretch for a Silvia but "temperature surfing" worries me. *
    Who will be using the machine as many Silvia boilers have died due to user ignorance

KK

Ill be using the machine so will need all the knowledge i can find. Personally like my coffee black but my wife likes her lattes and cappucinos so good steaming is required. Have some barista skills just want to start my coffee adventure at home.

thanks for the quick reply.

I am not sure of availability but for your budget the Nemox dell opera may be your answer

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 6D4940404343796D49554B49260 link=1249132955/3#3 date=1249135431
    I am not sure of availability but for your budget the Nemox dell opera may be your answer
    AKA the Lelit combi PL04 that Chris at Talk Coffee has just started to sell?

Bit sceptical of an in-built grinder but looks pretty good. I think my search will continue and hopefully i can save up a bit more money.

Thanks again.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 23203F3E37393F500 link=1249132955/5#5 date=1249136950
    Bit sceptical of an in-built grinder but looks pretty good. I think my search will continue and hopefully i can save up a bit more money.

Thanks again.
    Hi Spongio. I have a Napoletana II which is effectively a rebadged Lelit Combi. I can very highly recommend this machine.

For $800 you get a traditional single boiler dual purpose machine with similar specifications to the Siliva. You also get a Lux grinder which cost $300 normally to buy as a separate unit.

As mentioned on the Talk Coffee website, this is a perfect starter machine. Unless upgraditis sets in, this machine will last for many years to come.

I have the machine at work and it makes up to 15 coffees per day with no problems at all. People in the office have stopped buying coffee from cafes, not only because its cheaper, but the results are as good or better.

Within your price bracket you could alternatively buy yourself a Sunbeam EM0480 or EM0450 and pair with a Sunbeam EM6910, Gaggia Classic or Nemox Fenice.

Your third option is to look out for some quality used equipment.

Lastly, temperature surfing is not something you HAVE to do to make a coffee on the Silvia. Once youve optimised and are comfortable with your grind size, dosing and tamping, you can then worry about temp surfing to get the best out of your machine. Its not a difficult procedure either, have a search for temperature surfing siliva on youtube for a demo.

Thanks CaffeineJunky, will start looking around for lelit combi /nemox opera. Hopefully I can find one in Melbourne.

Moving on, How come this machine has so many names?

Having been on a similar journey as yourself and come out the other side I went the way of many others before me, a well worn path (for many good reasons) and went Silvia & Rocky combo and have not regretted it at all!! I too was concerned about its little idiosicrecies for emaple its boiler & temp surfing but after playing a little with one and looking @ youtube clips I voted I IMHO couldnt beat it!! ;D
    Temp surfing is very easy and once done becomes habbit quickly and it no big deal. The coffee extracted is brilliant but you need practice and a class would be beneficial to maximize it!! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 40435C5D545A5C330 link=1249132955/7#7 date=1249214969
    Hopefully I can find one in Melbourne.
    Talk Coffee are in Melbourne.

Visit some site sponsors like Talk Coffee and have a play with different machines and rack their brains too. Once u play with some u will find the machine for u.
    Coffee is personal preference as are machines but some are far better than others. Good luck with the journey but dont be in a rush to get one have a look and think that way u will get what u really want rather than a spur of the moment purhase (weve all had that). :o

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1249389300/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]