Thread: Silvia Satisfaction

Silvia Satisfaction

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Silvia arrived today! I felt like a little kid waiting on Santa all day.

Ive begun the journey to find the perfect dose and grind with moderate success. Its still so hard to tell if Im doing it right. The coffee is tasting good but still has a little bit of bitterness. Crema is thick and honeycomb in colour.

Im using a Synesso double ridgeless basket with fresh beans from my local roaster roasted on the 28th July coupled with my SB EM0480 and a nice solid ss 58mm tamper.

I tuned my machine and grinder by starting with a fine grind and working my way up until I no longer choked the machine. When I lock my tamped puck into the machine and remove it there is a slight impression of the screw but not enough to crack the puck.

I have a couple of questions;

1) At my current dose/grind it takes about 5 - 7 seconds after the pump has started before I get my first drops of coffee. Is this normal?

2) My puck is slightly wet on the top after a pour but is dryer inside and generally stays in one piece when I knock it out. Should I be trying to eliminate this wetness? My understanding is that I get rid of wetness by increasing my dose?

I am reluctant to increase my dose as I feel that I am already as high in the basket as I can go without causing the screw to break the puck.

All assistance and advice is really appreciated

Deano

PS. Thanks to coffee parts for top service and a quick delivery, I love your work and Im sure this won’t be the last time you hear from me ":)

Re: Silvia Satisfaction

Hi Deano,

Quote Originally Posted by 333C3523590 link=1249297028/0#0 date=1249297028
    The coffee is tasting good but still has a little bit of bitterness.
    If you are using decent coffee and have your dose and grind right, this could be due to your temperatures being a bit off. If you havent already investigated it, search youtube for the CoffeeGeek Silvia Walkthrough - it shows a simple and effective technique for temperature surfing, to ensure you are brewing at the right temp for each shot.

1) At my current dose/grind it takes about 5 - 7 seconds after the pump has started before I get my first drops of coffee. Is this normal?
    Yep, sounds fine, 7 is maybe a little long though.

2) My puck is slightly wet on the top after a pour but is dryer inside and generally stays in one piece when I knock it out. Should I be trying to eliminate this wetness? My understanding is that I get rid of wetness by increasing my dose?
    Correct - upping the dose will fix this. I wouldnt be afraid to up your dose a bit -- its pretty normal to have a heavy impression of the shower screen screw on a Silvia (in my experiences it doesnt break the puck).

Cheers,

Anthony

Deano try up dosing to see if it fixes it. Mine is slightly wet smetimes but knocks out fine and is nice and dry when knocked out.
    definatley Temp surf it will help ur shots.

The Silvia is a brilliant machine and as u keep working at it your coffees will get better and better!!

It does take a few seconds for the water to run through the coffee and come out the GH, try grinding a little courser and see how it runs and how the shot tastes. Keep experimenting to perfect your grind, tamp and dose.

Thanks for the advice!

The temp surfing is making a huge difference.

After a good 2kg of beans and hours tinkering and tasting I am starting to get some genuinely good shots. My milk texturing still needs a lot of work.

I have a questions regarding pour length; I use a double ridgeless synesso basket.

Can you tell me if Im on the right track?

Espresso = approx. 25 ml of espresso extracted in 25-30 seconds.
    Double = approx. 50ml of espresso extracted in 25 - 30 seconds.

The ristretto is where I get confused

Ristretto = approx. 15ml of espresso extracted in ???
    Double Ristretto= approx. 30ml of espresso extracted in ???

My understanding at this point is that the Ristretto is just the first 15mls of what would be a 25ml pour if I left it for 25 - 30 seconds and the same logic again for the double. Is this correct?

At the moment I am getting about 30mls in 30 seconds before the shot blondes from my double basket. From my logic the 30 in 30 I am making atm sounds like a double ristretto BUT I was under the impression that blonding signals the end of a espresso shot with the ristretto ending long before blonding.

Sorry if Im a bit all over the place, I hope I make sense.

All advice is appreciated

Thanks

Deano

Ristretto, interesting. *The wiki page talk about making this with the old school hand press coffee machines, and runing the shot faster. *But the modern way is what you are describing. *
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ristretto
    I guess the old way amounts to using more pressure. *Does anyone know if this is still done? *And it is even possible with modern machines?

Sorry to digress from your question DeanoT. *I am sure one of the gurus will be able to answer it for you.

The ristretto is less clearly defined and more debated than the espresso, but your thinking is on the right track.

Whether its a 15 ml or a 20 ml shot is unclear & irrelevent to me.

Moreso, you can have ristrettos made by restricting the volume based on shot time and also restricting the volume by increasing the fineness of the grind.

Both types of ristrettos taste different: by time gives a sweeter shot with less body and complexity and bitterness,
    By Grind youll get a richer stronger tasting shot.

Espresso sits somewhere in the middle, but since its a longer shot there is more coffee to enjoy: so in my view its always better to aim for espresso.. ;)

Different beans & blends may benefit from the different methods, dont worry about the numbers, whats in the cup will guide you.

Generally an espresso is 30mls in 30 seconds. While a restretto is only 15mls- a more consentrated shot.

A finer grind will slow the pour if needed.

i generally try for 20 ml in 20 sec. (and I dont care what its called!)

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 182D3A3808302D323E333B5F0 link=1249297028/7#7 date=1249656116
    i generally try for 20 ml in 20 sec. (and I dont care what its called!)

Greg
    ;D ;D

I too have purchased a Silvia to learn the Barista technique. Strongly suspect that I will have a few disasters to begin with so will watch and learn from this forum site.
    Anyhoo, have unpacked it today and I notice that I have two tubes in the water container yet the booklet suggests only one...can anyone shed any light on that?
    It says it comes ready to roll?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4C696E7A797F685F737A7A79791C0 link=1249297028/9#9 date=1249692015
    I too have purchased a Silvia to learn the Barista technique. Strongly suspect that I will have a few disasters to begin with so will watch and learn from this forum site.
    Anyhoo, have unpacked it today and I notice that I have two tubes in the water container yet the booklet suggests only one...can anyone shed any light on that?
    Same question was posted only the other day...

One is the tube to suck the water and teh other is a return..

Other Silvia owners will be able to confirm

Quote Originally Posted by 022D2426310E222D2224262E262D37430 link=1249297028/10#10 date=1249692352
    Quote Originally Posted by 4C696E7A797F685F737A7A79791C0 link=1249297028/9#9 date=1249692015
    Same question was posted only the other day...

One is the tube to suck the water and teh other is a return..

Other Silvia owners will be able to confirm

Thanks, first time on the forum site -new to Aus and the shop informed me about the site. Thanks for the clarification :)

yep- 1 for suck water, other to return.

Keep practicing.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 42676074777166517D74747777120 link=1249297028/11#11 date=1249692671
    Thanks, first time on the forum site -new to Aus and the shop informed me about the site. Thanks for the clarification *
    A sponsor or another ? Interesting that others may leave it to CS for T/Shooting and training ...

I think Im starting to get the idea. (I hope)

First off, the coffee is improving with every cup. The auto-pilot morning coffee that I dont over think is always the best. Im beginning to realise the value of developing a stock routine :)

I have started to focus on stopping the shot regardless of volume at the onset of blonding; I look for a thin pale ribbon to appear in the stream of coffee and cut the shot before the ribbon grows larger than a couple of millimetres thick. This usually gives me anywhere from 35 - 50 mls.

Thanks for all of your input; your knowledge and experience are such an amazing resource!

Its rewarding when u improve and understand ur machine more isnt it! ;D
    sounds like u have a keen eye, keep practicing and experimenting. Remember its whats in the cup that counts!!
    Remeber the 3 improtant one... Grind, Dose & Tamp.

Soon youll be buying green beans, home roasting etc in no time!! Its all part of being a CS ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 5D5D5D535F56565555300 link=1249297028/15#15 date=1249909832
    Soon youll be buying green beans, home roasting etc in no time!! Its all part of being a CS ;D ;D
    Ill have to agree with that. Just ordered some green beans from BeanBay last week and looking forward to 8 pm tonight! Still deciding whether to go the popper path or corretto path..... decisions..decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A3827222E3C4B0 link=1249297028/16#16 date=1249967714
    Still deciding whether to go the popper path or corretto path..... decisions..decisions.
    Go the whole hog.
    I skipped the popper thing and am so glad I did. Not that theres anything wrong with poppers, its just that if ya gunna jump into roasting I reckon go the 9 yards straight up ;)

poppers are a good place to start to begin learning some of the roasting techniques.
    I had one around the house so started there, you can get some really good roasts from a popper.
    However a Corretto will give you a little more control over your roast and larger roasts too.

Enjoy the next step in your coffee journey.

Thank you for the advise and encouragement. As I do not have a popper lying around... most likely going down the corretto path like Gronk62 suggested. If I messed up with the first few roasts.. Ill know where to go to for advice ;)