Thread: silvia vs Lelit combi

silvia vs Lelit combi

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

Im after a bit of wisdom, Im looking for a new proper machine.

the the Silvia a lot better than the Lelit combi,
    and will the grinder pose a service problem, being that its in the machine

I have also been considering the Sunbeam 6910, though waiting to see if theyll have the free grinder by redemption in the next month or so.

Thanks for your help

Caffeine Junky

Re: silvia vs Lelit combi

Welcome Jovo.

Firstly Id encourage you to do a search on this site. *Hit the search button above. Make sure you change the search range as its set for one week as a default.

Note that the Lelit Combi, Nemox Dell Opera, Mokita Combi and Quaha Napoletana are all essentially the same machine. *Only the first 2 are current models.

There is a handy article on an Australian website which I won’t supply a link to as its a non-sponsor commercial site. *If you google lelit silvia comparison youll find it easily. *The Pullman website also has some very useful information on the Quaha.

The Combi & the Silvia are fundamentally similar machines although some of the Silvias components are slightly better quality. *Others have also mentioned that the finish of the Silvia is also slightly better. *They are priced similarly but with the Lelit you effectively get a ‘free’ $300 grinder built into the machine.

For $800 from Talk Coffee, the Lelit is definitely a bargain. *Its a great entry level quality espresso machine thats built to last. *

I don’t think having a built-in grinder would affect servicing too much. *The grinder is pretty easy to access. *On the downside, you can’t upgrade individual components. *As an example, I recently compared shots on my Quaha using the built-in Lux grinder with a Compak K3 Elite. *The Compak gave far superior results. *I guess I could use the built-in grinder for decaf!

I have not used a Silvia but it certainly seems to be the gold standard for entry into quality espresso. *There is a lot of information out there on how to PID them. *I assume you could also add a PID to a Lelit but it would be harder to find a guide for that if you wanted to do it yourself (and had little technical nous like me).

Bottom line…the Lelit will give you excellent results for many years at a bargain price.
    The Silvia is a slightly better machine that would most likely give you similar results with a similar stand alone grinder. *Combine with a Rocky, you’re looking at an extra ~$400 compared to the Lelit.

Both have reasonably good resale value.

thank you so much for all that info, Ill certainly consider the Lelit,

would anyone know how the grinder built in the Lelit is compared with the sunbeam 480. Are they roughly same quality?

thank

Quote Originally Posted by 012432244B0 link=1249479436/2#2 date=1249553329
    would anyone know how the grinder built in the Lelit is compared with the sunbeam 480.Are they roughly same quality?
    Yes and no,
    Im pretty sure they use the same burr set, but what is more important is how stable the assembly that holds *the burr set is and how precise [repeatable] the adjustment is

The older models of grinders used in Lelits [Quahas etc] are pretty rock solid and also allow precise continuously variable grind adjustment....You can dial in the perfect shot.
    Im assuming the new Lelits have the same grinder.

The sunbeam adjuster can be wonky and also has a stepped adjustment.
    Stepped adjustments can make it easier if you are using the grinder for different brew methods [eg espresso & plunger]
    Unfortunately, in the sunbeam, the step size size is too large [approx 9 sec per step],. This may or may not be an issue for milk based drinks, but it is a real problem if you want good espresso shots.

That said there are some useful mods [search the site] to the sunbeam that get around its shortfalls.

Quote Originally Posted by 2631213627203126540 link=1249479436/3#3 date=1249609645
    Im pretty sure they use the same burr set
    This is becoming an urban myth. Sunbeam and Breville have the same design burrs, not the same burrs. ;)

Quaha / Lelit, Lux, Ascaso Conical, La Pavoni PB, Iberital, Isomac and Sunbeam EM0480
    are commonly referred as having the same burr set, perhaps its semantics and they share the same design of burr, but the burrs are are certainly interchangeable with each other.
    With the certain exception, of the sunbeam, I suspect most of these grinders share the same adjustment/carrier system as well.

Not sure about the breville though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1007170011160710620 link=1249479436/5#5 date=1249698851
    arecommonlyreferred ashavingthe same burr set,perhaps its semantics and they share the same design of burr, but the burrs are are certainly interchangeable with each other.
    OEM parts are interchangeable with genuine parts. The Lux are made in Italy. The sunbeam is made in China. I dont call this semantics. If you want to believe they are the same, thats fine by me.

thank you for your help, I just wanted to know whether the grinders in the Lelit machines were of decent quality, sounds like theyre not too bad as an good entry level machine

The LeLit is an excellent machine and the built-in grinder is also pretty good.

While this set up wont be quite on the level of a Giotto and Mazzer, it will allow you to create quality espresso and milk drinks, provided you are only serving a couple of people at any one time. A mom and pop scenario would be fulfilled more than adequately with the LeLit combo. For a dinner party scenario, obviously you will need a machine with larger capacity - so HX machines will be considered in that scenario.

The burrs are interchangeable, but Im not sure which machines they are interchangeable with, someone else may have pointed out which ones. The burrs are good quality. The built-in grinder is based on the Lux grinder, and produces excellent espresso grind. The steaming capacity is on par with the Silvia.

It really is the best espresso equipment purchase under $1000 that you could possibly have.

There is really nothing else out there that will provide the quality that the LeLit will, at this price point.

Ben

Thanks again Ben for those helpful comments,
    I do usually have milk drinks so the steaming is quite important to me.

It certainly sounds like a very decent machine,
    now to the wife, and get approval.

Thank you

Both machines are very well designed and manufactured and capable of producing excellent espresso but if you would like an off the cuff comparison then the Silvia has a commercial machine pedigree and is basically constructed from commercial components downsized to fit within a small commercial quality chassis and enclosure. Whereas the Lelit/Nemox/Mokita/Quaha machines have a domestic machine pedigree and are built up from high quality domestic components into a monocoque stainless-steel body (no separate chassis).

In performance and longevity terms, both machines are very similar and in Bang for Buck terms the Lelit style machine rates very high indeed and is a superb first machine or even a second machine that you can take with you on holidays or weekends away.... 8-)

Cheers,
    Mal.

about 9 months ago I purchased a La Pavoni Domus Bar basically the same machine as the Lelit combi...I have only ever used the built in grinder probably 10 times and it certainly grinds fine enough and produces good results..I looked at the Silvia but it looked like an outdated machine to me and I have read where it can have a mind of its own as well...
    The La Pavoni needs to be backflushed say once a week just with water and a backflush using chemicals every 4-6 weeks this seems to keep it running and flowing sweet.
    I use a Rocky doser model grinder which seems to be suited perfectly to this machine...
    Steam is adaquate and can produce great froth...
    The only thing that annoys me is the water filling, there are two tubes running into the container and one has to be removed before I can squeeze a small funnel into the top before any water can be poured in...not a big deal really but maybe a bit more thought could have gone into that part of the machine...
    All in all this is a machine that can produce excellent results...go ahead you will not be sorry.

cheers. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 0B252F2D21440 link=1249479436/11#11 date=1249795486
    The only thing that annoys me is the water filling, there are two tubes running into the container and one has to be removed
    This can be an issue with a quite a few "Tank" machines, from small to significantly large HX/Dual Boiler machines. Only way to avoid it is to opt for a "Plumb-in" machine at considerably higher cost..... Its all about compromises with these babies.... ;)

Mal.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7C51555954380 link=1249479436/12#12 date=1249807722
    Quote Originally Posted by 0B252F2D21440 link=1249479436/11#11 date=1249795486
    The only thing that annoys me is the water filling, there are two tubes running into the container and one has to be removed
    This can be an issue with a quite a few "Tank" machines, from small to significantly large HX/Dual Boiler machines. Only way to avoid it is to opt for a "Plumb-in" machine at considerably higher cost..... Its all about compromises with these babies.... ;)

Mal.
    Agree Mal...

For me, a little thought and it does not take much to implement a nice mod to work around it... And the mod is to my liking, not a manufacturer trying to keep costs down..

Thanks for raising this question Jovo, and the replies have been very helpful. *I had the same question about whether to spend the extra on Miss Silvia, or take a closer look at the great deal that Talk Coffee currently have on the Lelit combi.

Based on these comments, and my usage *- mostly its just a couple of coffees a day for me (milk based and macchiato), with an extra a day on the weekends. *As most of my visitors are not coffee drinkers (sacreligious I know), I think the Lelit is probably going to be best for me. *That way I can upgrade to a separate grinder when upgradeitis strikes!!

Ill have to make an appointment soon to go visit Talk Coffee I think..

Im very glad to have founnd this site, with so many fellow addicts *:). *Especially considering that I had an Italian friend trying to talk me into upgrading my Saeco VV to a Nespresso machine *:o >:(

Caffeine Junky

You wont be disappointed Jazz, I find these machines a delight to use.
    Just knocked back a ristretto made with the Napoletana II here in the office.

Like any machine, the better you look after it the better it’ll look after you. Remember to refill the boiler after steaming! I water backflush twice a day, detergent backflush weekly and remove the shower screen fortnightly for a more thorough clean.

Hi - I guess this thread is done but I thought I would add a bit to it.

I have a Nemox del opera I bought second hand and I am delighted with it. The grinder is excellent and very powerful.

A couple of things I thought might be useful.

1. I put a plastic cover/spout from my dead auto Gaggia over the steaming arm and that helps a lot in preparing milk.

2. The steam arm drips. Dont worry about it I think they all do.

3. I replaced some adjustment parts in my grinder as they were broken when I bought it (should have checked closer) and I did it myself in about 30 mins and I aint no genius in this area. The parts are very reasonably priced from Lygon Imports.

4. ALWAYS use the correct gasket in the group head. Mine had a non standard (thicker one) which caused a crack in the group housing a $58 problem.

Now can anyone tell me how to back flush this machine?

Quote Originally Posted by 0A392F324B0 link=1249479436/16#16 date=1250119022
    Now can anyone tell me how to back flush this machine?
    Assuming yours is a 3-way valve model, Ardy, try:

http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/imat/backflush.html

db

Chiming in agreement with others in this thread, Im more than happy with my recently purchased, second hand Mokita Combi.

Thanks to all the great research material available here on CS, I had a pretty good idea on what sort of machine would suit my needs and budget.

As a newbie, it is the first time Ive really enjoyed the coffee Ive made at home, rather than just "making do" with home made coffee.

The LeLit (or what ever its badged as) is also a brilliant machine to PID- www.pidkits.com have an option if you want super tight temperature control later. The only issues I had with my daughters one were that the OPV is not adjustable whereas an older one I had was, also her grinder needed a bit of tweaking to grind fine enough. BUT dialed in it is great.
    Brett

Cam

I bought a Lelit Combi a few months ago and am very happy with it.
    Its good to see a site sponsor now stocking this machine.
    Its also good to see members buying the Lelit, so that I can pick their brains on how they are getting the most out of it ::)
    Cheers, Cam.

Quote Originally Posted by 24353C353D3123243522500 link=1249479436/19#19 date=1250331799
    the OPV is not adjustable whereas an older one I had was
    Do you happen to know approximate age of the machines that you had and that your daughter has? Do you know if the older adjustable OPV can be retrofitted to the new models?