Thread: EM 6910 wont give me water/steam

EM 6910 wont give me water/steam

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    OK, this is the first coffee machine weve ever owned and it was a little bit of a rash purchase. Wed heard Sunbeam were the choice of machines for the price bracket (and its nice to see some of the post support this) and saw one when we went in to David Jones to buy a kettle... Weve bought the display model off the shelf and unpacked from the box.

Ive read the instruction book 4 times cover to cover and Im part way through the DVD but be dammed if I can get any hot water out of any of the front openings.

When Ive turned it on, I wait until the power light goes from flashing green to red (along with the other lights lighting green) The little dial gauge at the front isnt moving and it making very angry buzzing type sounds when I turn anything on by either pressing any of the buttons or turning any of the knobs from the off positions.

My first suspicion is that the unit isnt getting any water from the water container but I had filled the water container (in situ) and Ive even tried taking it out and re-seating it. Nothing.

Ive read and re-read the instruction manuals but that has not helped me.

So much for trying to make my wife a coffee this morning!

IF ANYONE CAN HELP, PLEASE DO! I"M GOING MAD ON INSTANT! (or perhaps I already am and this is only symptomatic...)

Re: EM 6910 wont give me water/steam

The pump is supposed to make that vvrrrzzzzzzzzzz sound
    What coffee are you using (hopefully fresh ground)
    How much coffee have you packed in the filter

Here is a video from a CS member Grendel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvWeS44awEE&feature=channel_page

KK

Run the hot water dispenser. It is possible that it still needs to pump the water up. (You did fill it didnt you?) ;D ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 53777E7E7D7D4753776B7577180 link=1249793960/1#1 date=1249794446

KK

Im yet to get to the coffee stage. The instruction book says you should run the water through the machine first and Im yet to acheive this.

We know its evil but weve bought pre-ground stuff to save us both time and money on getting a grinder.

Also, our research didnt cover much about the need for a grinder. We were focussed on the DeLonghi Prima Vera Magnifica which, I believe, ground the beans for you...

Shameful, and probably not worthy of being helped, but I do beg you to overlook such novice mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1235202F410 link=1249793960/2#2 date=1249794661
    Run the hot water dispenser. *It is possible that it still needs to pump the water up. *(You did fill it didnt you?) *;D * ::)
    I have filled the water vessel, I was frightened that maybe there was a cover I have yet to remove from the water jug thing, so I took it out and couldnt find anything. I then re-seated it tightly and saw (from the front) that the water container is slightly protruding into the facia, like it seems it should.

I am hoping youre right, that it needs to pump the water up into the machine but I left it running for as long as I was game - which, I admit, wasnt very long at all. I shall attempt to run the hot water through until I get more than just an initial spit/dribble.

I just dont want to blow the thing up...

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 50545959523D0 link=1249793960/3#3 date=1249796660
    Quote Originally Posted by 53777E7E7D7D4753776B7577180 link=1249793960/1#1 date=1249794446

KK

Im yet to get to the coffee stage. The instruction book says you should run the water through the machine first and Im yet to acheive this.

We know its evil but weve bought pre-ground stuff to save us both time and money on getting a grinder.

Also, our research didnt cover much about the need for a grinder. *We were focussed on the DeLonghi Prima Vera Magnifica which, I believe, ground the beans for you...

Shameful, and probably not worthy of being helped, but I do beg you to overlook such novice mistakes.

I where are you located ?

1: Open the rear door and remove the Water Container... Re seat the container and press it in firmly at the bottom.. You should feel a little click / clunk maybe..

2: Run teh hot water.. A few times for a few seconds each time

3: Run the steam for a about 20sec...

Make sure the light near the sight gauge is not on... Could be a stuck level sensor ?

4: Run teh manual for about 15sec and you should have water coming through...

If not, then the anti-calk filter may not be in corrctly or you have a stuck valve in teh water tank..

Remove and hold over a sink and gently press in teh little valve... WATER should freely flow..

Kosmo: That video was excellent but clearly shot by a master, not a complete and utter newbie, such as myself. I was amazed to see the subject not having a thermometer but holding the metallic jug around base to check the temp. Obviously, they are good at gauging the temp the milk needs to be.

Stan,

Thank you for your sage and wonderful advice. I re-visited the machine and, yes, it seemed that the water just needed to pumped through the system to make the water hot.

I have now made the inaugural coffee and, while there is work to be done on perfecting the art, it was drinkable. Baristas everywhere need not be worried.

:)

Heres too many more (and much more drinkable) choice coffees.

Quote Originally Posted by 6A4E474744447E6A4E524C4E210 link=1249793960/1#1 date=1249794446

KK

Its not really going to be the tool to use when I wake up at 4am on a Sunday to go driving and I dont want to wake my wife, is it? Which is kind of a shame because that tends to be when I really need that sort of coffee hit...

HI Peter,

Unless you pay big bucks, youre not going to get a super quiet machine. This is the burden we espresso lovers bare.

In time, youll have a grinder too. You mightnt believe me, but you will. And they make a lot of noise too. Even the more expensive ones which are quieter, still make some noise.

Enjoy the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by 75717C7C77180 link=1249793960/6#6 date=1249802892
    Obviously, they are good at gauging the temp the milk needs to be.
    I judge by touch from the side method
    While steaming milk
    If I cant touch and hold for more than 3 seconds then its time to stop ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 75717C7C77180 link=1249793960/8#8 date=1249803252
    I wake up at 4am on a Sunday to go driving and I dont want to wake my wife,
    I see we have another candidate for an Aeropress when silence is needed
    [img]
    http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/images/aeropress_01.jpg[/img]

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 2D2924242F400 link=1249793960/7#7 date=1249803128
    Stan,

Thank you for your sage and wonderful advice. I re-visited the machine and, yes, it seemed that the water just needed to pumped through the system to make the water hot.
    The lesson here (for anyone that runs into this thread later with the same problem) is that it takes a loooong time for the water to run through the first time.

ya I remember being a bit concerned the very first time running water through it, seemed to take forever....check it out, theres actually a fair bit of plumbing for the water to travel through. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 092D242427271D092D312F2D420 link=1249793960/10#10 date=1249805096
    I see we have another candidate for an Aeropress when silence is needed
    [img]
    http://www.pedalpushersonline.com/images/aeropress_01.jpg[/img]

KK
    Nah, bugger it! If the coffee machine is going, then either she getting one or she wakes up. Either way, Ill on the track soon and the bleating will stop ;) Even when she does come, the radio up loud enough tends to drown out the bleating...