Thread: Gaggia Classic Shower Screen issue

Gaggia Classic Shower Screen issue

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All

I have never cleaned my shower screen in over 4 years, it has never come out. Now I have decided that I should take better care of my machine (especially as the screen appears to be a bit blocked) but due to my general negligence (I didnt know any better before), it now seems pretty much impossible to remove without damage.

I have good screwdrivers (Kinchrome torquemaster), and can get plenty of weight behind it but am unable to get the screw to turn, in fact I have begun to distort the screw with the screwdriver fully and properly engaged. I am going to have to resort to percussive maintenance to get it to move. Has anyone else had this issue, been able to overcome it or can offer suggestions for things to be careful of when I get the hammer out?

Thanks,
    Ben

A_M

Re: Gaggia Classic Shower Screen issue

Quote Originally Posted by 37090C040D010E600 link=1250476976/0#0 date=1250476976
    Hi All

I have never cleaned my shower screen in over 4 years, it has never come out. Now I have decided that I should take better care of my machine (especially as the screen appears to be a bit blocked) but due to my general negligence (I didnt know any better before), it now seems pretty much impossible to remove without damage.

I have good screwdrivers (Kinchrome torquemaster), and can get plenty of weight behind it but am unable to get the screw to turn, in fact I have begun to distort the screw with the screwdriver fully and properly engaged. I am going to have to resort to percussive maintenance to get it to move. Has anyone else had this issue, been able to overcome it or can offer suggestions for things to be careful of when I get the hammer out?

Thanks,
    Ben

You could try letting the system warm up and try when there is some heat.. *May help to allow you to break the seal etc..

An impact driver is best as it is short and sharp..

Worse case... Drill it out, re tap and a new screw...

Note: Any of the above done without care could cause further damage...

Moral is USER Maintenance...

I dont have an impact driver but will try with heat and see how I go.

Thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by 5F61646C656966080 link=1250476976/2#2 date=1250483448
    I dont have an impact driver but will try with heat and see how I go.

Thanks
    Ben
    Welcome Ben the Wildman.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D

If you own a power/cordless drill that has a Hammer function, you could try that but would need to remove the machines base or the complete Boiler for access. Its a lot gentler than using an Impact Driver but very effective... 8-)

Mal.

brett230873

The heat worked for me with Miss Silvia and a similar predicament. My issue was one of over-tightening when she was still warm. Heat him up and Good luck!

Id try spraying a cafetto solution up in and around the shower screen and let it soak for a while first, it could help breakdown the gunk thats fixed the screw in place and its not going to damage anything.

I have had exactually the same problem on a Classic. Not after 4 years though. I was able to move it once by putting ice cubes on the screen around the screw. Second time had to drill the screw and then screw in an extractor bit. Hardware stores sell these handy things.

Bought new screw and shower screen. Your old one will be very clog nd no reall way to clean it after so long. The parts were pretty cheap from memory, maybe $30 all up

Heat was the key, and a good whack with a hammer to break the seal, the screw was OK afterwards as well. The screen was very clogged, at least 1/3 completely blocked. Scrubbed it all out then scratched out the stubborn holes with a pin from the back (didnt enlarge them). There was some serious caked on gunge underneath, two of the 4 water feed holes were also blocked, cleaned it all up flipped my rubber seal over as well as I had had a few small leaks if I overfilled the basket.

All good now, coffee tastes better too (surprise!)

Cheers
    Ben