Thread: Too Many Choices - suggestions please

Too Many Choices - suggestions please

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there,
    after a loving relationship for the last 4 years my sunbeam espresso machine has shat its self (this i realise has been a quite a relationship after reading some forums on the particular machine *:o who knew they could last so long?? ) So we have decided to buy a new machine and realise that the better the machine along with th grinder and beans the better the coffee. *
    After reading posts on this website and others along with product reveiws and looking at everything possible, we are now uttlerly confused as to what to purchase. We were initally looking anyhing and everything and then narrowed it down to the Saeco Via Venzia but after finding it in a shop and having a play around found it to be quite tinny. We are leaning towards the Rancilio Silvia & some sort of grinder or the Nemox Del Opra. *:-/
    On the basis of our usage, 1 good coffee each morning with breakfast, every day... and sometimes more on the weekend, is one of these more pricey machines worth the cash outlay? Im a fan of the touch and feel just to see how things operate before purcahsing but as we live quite regional (5 hours form both Melbourne and Adelaide) this is proving to be quite difficult. Can i have some feed back from anyone with these machines? Are they easy to operate, do parts cost a lot, is servicing an issue, anything at all... something to make the decision process just a bit easier... *or any suggestions of other machines that might fit the bill.

thanks for reading tash n josh :)

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Re: Too Many Choices - suggestions please

The Silvia and Rocky combo as you will see mentioned here countless times, is bulletproof and you will enjoy years and years off hastle free service, its solid, all the solid brass and stainless steel you can poke a stick at, and produces amazing coffee, parts arent an issue as you have coffeeparts as a site sponsor and their delivery is amazing, not that you will need replacement parts for a long long long time, but im sure you will pick up the occasional accessory along the way, i wont ramble too much as this combo is possibly the most popular set on the forum, do a search, grab a coffee and sit back and have a good read.........youll be occupied for days!

Caffeine Junky

Hi Tash n Josh and welcome to the forum.

I agree with you about the VV, I think it has a cheap look about it. *I believe you have already narrowed it down to the 2 best machines for your requirements so full marks to you.

I own a Mokita Combi & a Quaha Napoletana II. *Both of these machines are rebadged versions of the Nemox Dell Opera. *Talk Coffee (see sponsor on left of page) are selling the Lelit Combi, which is the same machine again. *All of these machines are made by a small company in Italy who onsell them for badging by other companies. This should not put you off as they are well made and very reliable little beasts. *They are traditional single copper boiler machine and parts are generally not a problem. *

My Napoletana is used in the office and makes 10-15 milk-based drinks per day. *Pretty good for a 5 year old machine.

I have not used a Silvia but the consensus seems to be that theyre slightly better quality than the combi machine. *The Silvia uses commercial components in a domestic machine. *The combi uses good quality components but they are not commerical ones. *I suspect the result in the cup would not be too different if using an equivalent grinder with the Silvia. *Both are 300ml copper boiler machines so fine for making 2 milk-based coffees at a time.

The Combi is around $800 whilst the Silvia is around $700 (2008 model or more for the 2009) then you still want a grinder on top of that. * The Rocky/Silvia combination is extremely popular and with good reason. *Youre looking at about an extra $400 compared to a Combi. *Id be tempted to say go for the Rocky/Silvia even though I have not used them. *The Rocky/Silvia hold their value well and its easy to get add-ons such as bottomless group handles or PIDs.

Quote Originally Posted by 140113083F0E3F0A0F1308600 link=1250641461/0#0 date=1250641461
    Hi there,
    after a loving relationship for the last 4 years my sunbeam espresso machine has shat its self
    Hi tash n josh and welcome.

What model Sunbeam was it that you had?

Hi Tash & Josh.

Ive just been on your journey and I settled on a Lelit Combi from Talk Coffee. I was chasing the combination espresso machine/grinder option so this machine suited me perfectly (I almost bought a Breville BES860/Fresca but am much happier with the quality of this Italian made machine). It is easy to use, well made and has some qualiy components including a brass boiler, which I came to learn was a good thing for helping to get consistent espressos.

The built-in grinder is terrific and with fresh beans Im getting some great crema on my coffee.

FYI, if you get in quick you can get a great deal from Talk Coffee at under $800 with some extra bits and bobs thrown in. My extra tip - allow an extra $100 and pick up a decent tamper and a knock tube - Chris at Talk Coffee can supply both.

Im having lots of fun!

Damien.

Id lean toward the Silvia + Rocky combo - youll be surprised how much easier a good coffee is! - theyre in a committed relationship to each other and have bean for years now :)

If its reliability you need, then it has to be either the Silvia/Rocky or the Nemox/Mokita/Quaha Napoletana II/Lelit combo.

hey ther CKSYD,

the sunbeam we have / had looks to be the cafe crema EM4800c - it looks just like this particular model but bear in mind its about 4 years old. Based on reveiws etc from other people on the www it seems to be a pretty average machine, i cannot complain however as i said it has serviced us well for the last 4 years with coffee being made on a daily basis.

Cheers tasn n josh

Silvia is finicky without a PID even with the Rocky, and in my experience doesnt produce as good a shot as the Sunbeam EM6910.

Pair the SB with a decent grinder and youre on your way to coffee nirvana *:D

Quote Originally Posted by 584D5F4473427346435F442C0 link=1250641461/7#7 date=1250726511
    hey ther CKSYD,

the sunbeam we have / had looks to be the cafe crema EM4800c - it looks just like this particular model but bear in mind its about 4 years old. Based on reveiws etc from other people on the www it seems to be a pretty average machine, i cannot complain however as i said it has serviced us well for the last 4 years with coffee being made on a daily basis.

Cheers *tasn n josh *

We had one of those as well. Then we upgraded and sold it to a friend :D

Another option for you is the higher level Sunbeam EM6910/EM0480 combo.

You will read a lot of negative stuff here, but mainly for 2 reasons - 1. User issues and 2. People find Coffeesnobs when they have a problem.

You will also find *quite a few people in here who have/have had them who are real fans on a bang for buck basis.

Compared to the 4800, it will knock your socks off. A completely different league.

5 year warranty on pumps and grinder motor too.

Still see adverts for them in the mid 6s for the machine, then the grinder on top means it comes in around the same price as the Nemox (but separate entities) and considerably under the Racilio duo if budget is a problem.

Let people know where you are. I am sure plenty of CSrs would let you drop in for a play on one to help in decision making (we would). And you will score a really nice coffee in the process *;D

Chris

Edit: Oops, just reread your original post. You did let people know where you are :-[

Id vote for a sunbeam em0480/0450 paired with a silvia. If your looking to save a little money.

My reasoning for a cheaper grinder (Shock horror!) is just that by the time you are sufficiently snobbified to notice the difference in taste between a Rocky and a em0480 - You will want to upgrade anyway.

Are you using fresh coffee?

If your not it will be a steep learning curve.

Best of luck

Deano

Tash and Josh welcome to CS!! Where abouts do u live?? Would it be around the town of Nhill?? I have family there.

I also had the 4800 for just over 6 years giving not problems - now lives in my office with some new aditions- non pressurized baskets.

I recently upgraded to the Silva and Rocky comb and have never looked back. They do have a couple things that u need to work on eg temp surfing. But I love these new toys!! Quality of build and quality of coffee is very very good!!

The 6910 is also a great machine- however living country they have had quality issues meaning many have had to be returned- no ideal for u!!

Enjoy the journey- next home roasting!! ;D