Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a reliable, user friendly machine that makes great coffee in this price range?

Can anyone recommend a reliable, user friendly machine that makes great coffee in this price range?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,
    Im new to this site. Id like to buy a really good coffee machine, but after having a look at this site, Im more confused than ever. A lot of you guys have Gaggia or Silvia machines which makes me think they must be good, but then so many of the posts are about problems with the machines, so I just dont know.

Does anyone have a machine in the $500-$1500 price range that they are really happy with?

PS Id prefer something fully automatic, but only if its not going to break down :).

Re: Can anyone recommend a reliable, user friendly machine that makes great coffee in this price range?

Hi Branjie

Fully Automatic = esay to break or break down. It seems to be a case of the more electronics/machine driven components a machine has, the more there is to go wrong with it and, when it does, sometimes it can be cheaper to throw the machine away than get it fixed.. I know of a couple of friends who have fully automatics and each one of them have had them replaced / repaired and sometimes more than once. I also had a full automatic before my journey in search of great cup of coffee, and it lasted about 6 months before it needed fixing.

Your better option is (IMO only) to go possibly something along the lines of a Sunbeam 6910 & 0480 Grinder, or Sylvia and Rocky and grind your own beans (fresher anyway), then pack and tamp your own gropuhead (you get the strength you want), pull your shot and texture your own milk (rather than have bubbley milk from an automatic).

Otherwise, if you want an all in one unit that has a grinder built in, people recommend the LeLit / Mokita Combi / Queha Nepolitana machine that has the grinder built into it. Have a look over <---- there at sponsors, but I know that Chris at Talk Coffee has the LeLit Combi and can probably give you a demo if youre around Melbourne. Theyre quite a good priced machine at around $800.00 for both the machine and grinder together and are built to last.

Have fun with your journey.

Cheers
    Di

Re: Can anyone recommend a reliable, user friendly machine that makes great coffee in this price range?

Quote Originally Posted by 0C2B3D2F37440 link=1251077272/1#1 date=1251078179
    I know that Chris at Talk Coffee has the LeLit Combi and can probably give you a demo if youre around Melbourne.
    And Cuppacoffee has the Lelit if youre in Sydney! ;)

And yes, they do make a good cuppacoffee and are built to last! :)

Quote Originally Posted by 48584B4440434F2A0 link=1251077272/0#0 date=1251077272
    Hi everyone,
    Im new to this site. Id like to buy a really good coffee machine, but after having a look at this site, Im more confused than ever. A lot of you guys have Gaggia or Silvia machines which makes me think they must be good, but then so many of the posts are about problems with the machines, so I just dont know.

Does anyone have a machine in the $500-$1500 price range that they are really happy with?

PS Id prefer something fully automatic, but only if its not going to break down :).
    "Automatic" and "not going to break down" are mutually exclusive ;)

Im pretty happy with my Sunbeam EM6910 and 0480... would probably recommend a better grinder first up if theres room in your budget if you go down this route though. Theres a bit of a learning curve to using any manual machine, but its well worth it.

Thanks. Ill check out the LeLit / Mokita Combi / Queha Nepolitana machine. I do have a manual Sunbeam machine. Coffee doesnt turn out very nice. I wonder if it would be worth getting a bean grinder to see if that makes a big difference before buying a new machine???

First off, buy a grinder...(sunbeams em0450/480 is great a grinder for very little money)and then get fresh beans. *See beanbay or a local roaster than can give you the roast date of their beans. This should improve your coffee and maybe save you the expense of an upgrade.

Agree with CoffeeHorse. Youre not getting good coffee because:-

(a) Youre using supermarket beans; and/or
    (b) Youre using pre-ground coffee.

Both of which are huge no-nos if you want a nice cup of coffee and buying a Fully Automatic isnt going to fix that, only freshly roasted beans from a reputable source (not necessarily the cafe down the road, unless they have the roasted on date on the outside of the bag) and buying your own grinder and grinding them as you need them will.

General rule of thumb that we all live by here:-

1. Green beans (unroasted coffee beans) last up to three years;
    2. Roasted coffee lasts three weeks or so before they are stale; and
    3. Ground coffee lasts around three minutes before they are stale.

Yes, machines can make a difference - you mostly get what you pay for in the big wide world of coffee machines - but only subtly and you wont be able to differentiate until you are grinding your own fresh beans.

Just out of curiousity what manual Sunbeam machine do you own? I used a Sunbeam 4800 for a while in between selling my 6910 and upgrading to my Maver, and personally thought it was crap and couldnt make a decent coffee on it at all, but that was just me. There was just no way I could work with the poxy little 53mm basket and get a good tamp. Everything I made (and I tried 3-4 times) tasted like dishwater and had about the same colour...blech!

Cheers
    Di

Buy the Best grinder you can afford. People on here often talk about matching grinders to machines which can lead people to think that some machines are suited more to some grinders this isnt true. Imo if you want a grinder thats going to last a long time then stay away from grinders that have plastic carriers. Unless your just dipping your toes in or are prepared to upgrade at some point anyway. Entry level seems to be in the mid $400s.

The sunbeam 6910 is the only one they make that im aware of with a commercial inspired group handle and group design (58mm) The smaller machines mostly have pressured baskets (aka crema enhancement) and will struggle to make decent coffee.

As far as Espresso machines go there are many Sunbeam 6910 users on this forum who are happy with the results. There is debate both ways on whether Silvias or 6910s produce better shots. The fact you dont have to worry about refilling boilers and there is no wait to steam on the Sunbeam gives it points for ease of use.

Silvia is Solidly built, has a commercial look and feel its uncomplicated and Italian which suits some peoples preferences more.

There are machines within your price braket with E61 group heads that I apparantly produce serperlative espresso however its pointless dropping the coin on them if you dont have a decent grinder.

Personally If I had $1500 to spend Id be buying a 6910 or Silvia and dropping the other $700 on a grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by 3A293833226C6E5B0 link=1251077272/8#8 date=1251158706
    hello, I too am new to the site been lurking for a while.
    Doing research ! - have been looking at Gaggia classic and new expresso - appears they have aluminium alloy boilers - not particularly happy with that metal.
    Q. Is the boiler material critical to end result.
    Q. Does Gaggia Calssic or expresso rate in coffee taste stakes.
    Q. Should I forget Gaggia and start at sunbeam6910 or Rancillio
    Aolopgies for all the questions but figure if I do not ask I will not get!
    Many thanks for a great forum.
    The boiler material will not effect what comes out in the cup, but being aluminium, if may corrode. In saying that, I have not seen or heard of any cases of this. People recommend the silvia over the classic for this reason.
    However, the classic has a larger element and thus gets to temperature faster than the sivlia. It is also cheaper than the silvia. But, the silvia has a MASSIVE following and is probably worth the extra couple of dollars. I would definitely choose the silvia or classic over the 6910 and would have trouble discerning taste differences between the silvia and the classic.

All the best with your decision!
    Cheers,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by 323A35333B6164500 link=1251077272/9#9 date=1251160102
    The boiler material will not effect what comes out in the cup, but being aluminium, if may corrode. In saying that, I have not seen or heard of any cases of this. People recommend the silvia over the classic for this reason.
    Id actually recommend the Lelit/Nemox/Mokita machines as stocked by a couple of our Site Sponsors; listed over on the L/H side of the page. They are a great machine and the money you save could be used to put towards some other hardware...

Mal.

Hi Branjie & Archy.

FYI, I just picked up a Lelit and Im lovin it.

Main positives of the Lelit for you to consider if interested:
    1. in your price range at around $800 (may even still be able to get the special offer from site sponsors Talk Coffee or Cuppacoffee with a few extras thrown in) and youll have plenty left over for some handy accessories (e.g. good tamper, knock box, etc. - may sound silly but these were genuine value-adds for me);
    2. has a brass boiler the same size as the Silvia and a decent size 3 litre tank;
    3. you get a nice grinder built into in the package; and
    4. all the feedback/reviews I read before buying pointed to a robust and reliable long-term option.

Its also a nice looking machine with good resale down the track if you look after it.

The main negative Ive discovered so far is that, if youre likely to want to start playing around with naked portafilters or deeper baskets down the track, you may have trouble.

Good luck to you both.

Damien.

Both the 6910 and Silvia have huge followings here because both are very good machines. The Silvia IMHO is built better and makes better coffee in the cup. It does take a little more to master but for me that has been part of the journey. The other issue is longevity of the 6910 and the numbers of them that have had to go back.
    Saying that however they r good and more consume friendly.

End of the day the grinder is a HUGE part so dont skimp on this or no matter how impressive ur espresso machine is ur coffee wont match up.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!!

Personally If I had $1500 to spend Id be buying a 6910 or Silvia and dropping the other $700 on a grinder.
    Spot on. Either of these and AND a good grinder.

EM6910 if convenience is the decider, Silvia if you want more control/traditional approach and will still be using the same machine each day after 3+ years.

Enjoy the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by 404D58584940435A495E2C0 link=1251077272/13#13 date=1251204514
    Spot on. Either of these and AND a good grinder.

EM6910 if convenience is the decider, Silvia if you want more control/traditional approach and will still be using the same machine each day after 3+ years.

Enjoy the journey.
    I might just add that in my original setup I had a Silvia paired with an Iberital Challenge grinder, The Iberital made a great coffee however the usability was of great frustration to me.

I now have the Silvia paired with a Mazzer which is a fantastic grinder.
    Upgraditis is being held at bay till I have the coin to splash on a GS3, but I doubt that will be anytime soon. :)

For great coffee plus convenience you cant go past the Sunbeam EM6910 and the Compak K3 grinder. Well within your budget :)

If on the other hand you are prepared to face a long and frustrating learning curve then Silvia and a Rocky grinder will also fit the budget.

I had the Silvia Rocky combination for over five years and even after fitting a PID I found it slow to warm up and not all that consistent in shot quality.

The EM6910 is quick and produces great coffee all the time - unless I goof and do something wrong :D

It also will steam and brew simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by 6C4B4D4A473E0 link=1251077272/15#15 date=1251332329
    For great coffee plus convenience you cant go past the Sunbeam EM6910 and the Compak K3 grinder. *Well within your budget *:)

If on the other hand you are prepared to face a long and frustrating *learning curve then Silvia and a Rocky grinder will also fit the budget.

I had the Silvia Rocky combination for over five years and even after fitting a PID I found it slow to warm up and not all that consistent in shot quality.

The EM6910 is quick and produces great coffee all the time - unless I goof and do something wrong *:D

It also will steam and brew simultaneously.
    Why do people always give the impression that Silvia should be paired with a Rocky? Because the have similar aesthetics? The same thing happens all the time in these forums where people compare a Sunbeam 6910 and em480 with a Silvia + rocky. Rocky is in a completely different league to an em480 and the subeam machine would be better paired with the better grinder.
    Please people lets break this habbit and compare grinder verses grinder, machine vs machine.

The compak is a better grinder then all of them, Id be pairing that with whichever machine I bought.

Ill also add Rusty that the Silvia has had some crucial improvements over the last couple of years that I believe would make it a more forgiving machine. Not least that it now comes with the opv set to 9 bar rather the 12.

Quote Originally Posted by 766E6B6B7E6F44767A752D2C1B0 link=1251077272/16#16 date=1251341276
    the subeam machine would be better paired with the better grinder
    I thought thats what I recommended :o

Quote Originally Posted by 766E6B6B7E6F44767A752D2C1B0 link=1251077272/16#16 date=1251341276
    Why do people always give the impression that Silvia should be paired with a Rocky?
    As you and I know, theres no such thing as "should" in the coffee world ;)

Many have found that Silvia and Rocky pair well together and its more to do with performance than aesthetics :)

Quote Originally Posted by 534B4E4E5B4A61535F5008093E0 link=1251077272/17#17 date=1251341535
    Ill also add Rusty that the Silvia has had some crucial improvements over the last couple of years that I believe would make it a more forgiving machine. Not least that it now comes with the opv set to 9 bar rather the 12.
    Good point - the new Silvia is not the old gal I knew ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 6245434449300 link=1251077272/18#18 date=1251341823
    the subeam machine would be better paired with the better grinder
    I thought thats what I recommended *:o

Why do people always give the impression that Silvia should be paired with a Rocky? *
    As you and I know, theres no such thing as "should" in the coffee world *;)

Many have found that Silvia and Rocky pair well together and its more to do with performance than aesthetics *:)
    It is wasnt what you recomended sorry, I was having a rant about this subject in more general terms. :-/

I am going to argue however that there is nothing about the way in which the rocky grinds coffee that makes it particularly suited to a Silvia. Any grinder in the same class should produce an equal shot. The reason they are often paired is simply because the are both equally entry level machines into the "non-appliance" (thats descriptive Im not claiming it as an actual word) class. Aesthetically they do go together and are often sold as a package.

plenty of people have put there 2 cents worth in so i thought i would throw mine in as well to confuse you just that little bit more, i have a sunbeam 6900, 3 years old makes coffee everyday all year and never missed a beat, never been in for repair and consistantly makes the best coffee in town, now heres wat IMHO you need to do, has been said before, find a machine u like the look of, try it and see if you like how it works, make sure its in your budget and make sure you get a decent grinder, personal preference is a major player in this game, if you dont like how it works it will be like the breadmaker you got for christmas, it will soon live under the sink, try before you buy is the biggest thing

Quote Originally Posted by 4B5E4E535D5854595D583C0 link=1251077272/21#21 date=1251414820
    i have a sunbeam 6900, 3 years old makes coffee everyday all year and never missed a beat, never been in for repair and consistantly makes the best coffee in town
    Which town do you live in? :P

Gosh, thanks for all your replies!

Dennis I live in Adelaide

As for the grinder, how will I know a good one when I see it?

If its going to take me a fair bit of time to master making the coffee, I just dont have the time atm. I think Id like to get a machine that skips the whole tamping thing, as I cant seem to master the whole getting the same strength twice thing. I really need something user friendly that is going to do the coffee making for me, and give good, consistent results. Dont mind grinding the beans, not so keen on frothing the milk. Basically a fully auto machine was what I was looking for, but dont want to spend the money on something thats going to break down.

Im going to look into all the machines people have mentioned. Sounds like theres a Sunbeam which may be good for me. Do shops really let you try before you buy???

There is a shop here in Adelaide (a sponser called the Coffee Barun, anyone know if this is the place to go to, to buy a machine?).

I had a quick look at the Coffee barun website, looks like they sell both autos and full manual machines

i would kick off my search there if in SA, then maybe consider a 2nd / 3rd / 4th opinon etc (thats just me....)

IMO full autos are ok for a quick cup if thats all there is, but not really going to produce good quality coffee, for the price of them you can buy a really good machine and grinder and make better coffee.

as CB has both they might be able to provide a good opinion of both?

on the SB6900 / 6910 i too was a skeptic until i bought one (snap 2nd hand purchase) they do make a good coffee. i would now "recommend" one as a possible starting point but would suggest investing upfront with a better grinder than a SB. But imo better off buying something better for the long run.....

good luck on your search

o.k still working out whats best for me. Put it this way, if you had to organize school and kindy lunches/snacks, pack bags, make a bunch if breakfasts, get kids dressed and make coffee while holding a baby, what machine would you get?

Quote Originally Posted by 2B3B282723202C490 link=1251077272/25#25 date=1251432352
    o.k still working out whats best for me. Put it this way, if you had to organize school and kindy lunches/snacks, pack bags, make a bunch if breakfasts, get kids dressed and make coffee while holding a baby, what machine would you get?
    Sunbeam EM6910 plus a decent grinder EM0480 minimum. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 4151424D494A46230 link=1251077272/25#25 date=1251432352
    Honestly, if I had to do all that (and I have), Id probably stop on the way to work at a cafe that makes a good coffee. I have some Mums in your predicamtent who call in every day.

Quote Originally Posted by 715650575A230 link=1251077272/26#26 date=1251432779
    Sunbeam EM6910 plus a decent grinderEM0480 minimum.
    I see you have one yourself Rusty and guess thats what your recommendation is based on. I rate the sunbeam grinder as just one step above a spice grinder.

Would be interested to know why you rate the Sunbeam combo to be superior to the Lelit?

Upon reflection - I think Id order a vasectomy for your husband :D

Failing that - Nescafe would be less trouble 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 5A4C4949585A565F5F5C5C390 link=1251077272/27#27 date=1251434838
    I see you have one yourself Rusty and guess thats what your recommendation is based on.I rate the sunbeam grinder as just one step above a spice grinder.

Would be interested to know why you rate the Sunbeam combo to be superior to the Lelit?
    I had good results from the EM0480. A conical grinder a step above a spice grinder :o I did say a minimum, I now use a K3.

The Lelit has a single boiler and I assume has a fairly long warm up period and a waiting time to get up to steaming. *Not what the OP is looking for with her hectic morning schedule *::)

I can only compare the SB to my previous Rancilio setup which it beats in all aspects IMHO *:)

Im interested what you see as the main advantages of the Lelit over the SB.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by 5F787E79740D0 link=1251077272/29#29 date=1251436042
    and I assume *
    Theres the problem. *Ive had experience using both the Sunbeam and Lelit. *You havent. ;)

As to the grinder - conical doesnt mean a thing when you cant dial it in properly. *Ive had 4 customers this week who are ready to throw their SB grinders out in the garbage.

The nemox grinder thats in the Lelit is quicker, quieter, and produces a better grind.

Warm up time is pretty much the same as any other machine. *By the time brekky and lunches are made the Lelit would be ready.

More steam from the Lelit; better finish; better componentry; and will outlast the Sunbeam too.

Is that enough?

Quote Originally Posted by 3422272736343831313232570 link=1251077272/27#27 date=1251434838
    Quote Originally Posted by 715650575A230 link=1251077272/26#26 date=1251432779
    Sunbeam EM6910 plus a decent grinderEM0480 minimum.
    I see you have one yourself Rusty and guess thats what your recommendation is based on. *I rate the sunbeam grinder as just one step above a spice grinder.

If the SB is "one step above a spice grinder," where do the useless toy burr grinders (eg, Breville) fit in? Come to that, where do the many happy CSers who use the SB grinder every day fit in? Perhaps weve all been brainwashed by blinking EM6910 lights ;D

Comparing the EM6910 to the Lelit, there is of course the ability to steam and brew simultaneously... and to choose whatever grinder your heart desires and hang onto it with future machine upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by 4F62220 link=1251077272/31#31 date=1251436569
    many happy CSers who use the SB grinder every day fit in?
    If I had just $200 to spend Id either get and SB if I were lazy and hope it would be ok, or get a kyocera that I know would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by 4F62220 link=1251077272/31#31 date=1251436569
    Comparing the EM6910 to the Lelit, there is of course the ability to steam and brew simultaneously... and to choose whatever grinder your heart desires and hang onto it with future machine upgrades
    Agree. Though there will come a time in the not so distant future when you need to upgrade from a Sunbeam.

Im going home now to hide under the bed. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 4B5D5858494B474E4E4D4D280 link=1251077272/32#32 date=1251437312
    Im going home now to hide under the bed.
    I guess tomorrow is another day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 587F797E730A0 link=1251077272/26#26 date=1251432779
    Quote Originally Posted by 2B3B282723202C490 link=1251077272/25#25 date=1251432352
    o.k still working out whats best for me. Put it this way, if you had to organize school and kindy lunches/snacks, pack bags, make a bunch if breakfasts, get kids dressed and make coffee while holding a baby, what machine would you get? *
    Sunbeam EM6910 plus a decent grinder *EM0480 minimum. *:)
    this is why the SB6910 fits a great market, just about all you need to do with one is fill the tank, and keep it clean

you just turn it on walk away and come back make a coffee, no priming as is "auto fill", no waiting for steam and has volume controls for shots. Not far off fool proof once grinding and tamping is sorted out....

it even looks quite good, not ugly black plastic of many appliances....

sure many other machines might be better quality, and last longer (maybe...) have more serviceable parts and be better built(?).

But for the "new to coffee" SB6910 makes a very good machine because imo its simple to use.

never thought i would be an advocate for them..... ::)
    its the simplicity of use that has impressed me the most, along with the pretty good coffee.

all that said i am not sure i would drop $600+ on one either..... rather buy a 1grp commercial something....

Oh man, you guys still want me to tamp. *::)

Cant I get this one? http://thecoffeebarun.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_85&produ cts_id=251

I know Im asking for trouble, but this one would make life easy http://www.delonghi.com.au/products/product_details.asp?Model=EAM3500

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6272616E6A6965000 link=1251077272/35#35 date=1251441011
    I know Im asking for trouble, but this one would make life easy
    Sorry branjie, but I dont get it....

If -as your thread states- you want great coffee, youre wasting your time buying plakky junk that will at best produce decidedly average coffee and will most likely fail and cost you a heap in service as well...No *:-??

I can rename the thread for you if you prefer :P

2mcm

Of course you can get whatever turns your fancy. In your original post you said "Id like to buy a really good coffee machine". I took it you meant a machine that makes "good coffee".

Rarely does a fully automatic machine make good coffee, there might be some and Im sure weve opened a can of worms by raising the issue ;D

The more variables you allow the machine to control the less control you have. That means good coffee is up to the machine and not you - machines make lousy choices >:(

I understand your frustration in wanting something that doesnt require a lot of effort. Maybe a fully auto is the way for you to go, but it seems a shame to spend that much and not get good coffee ::)

TC

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1251158707/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

o.k o.k forget the DeLonghi, but what about the Saeco, isnt that one o.k? http://thecoffeebarun.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_85&produ cts_id=251

TC

same same...

Quote Originally Posted by 7666757A7E7D71140 link=1251077272/38#38 date=1251442820
    o.k o.k forget the DeLonghi, but what about the Saeco, isnt that one o.k?
    The name has been changed to protect the innocent ;)

The principle is still the same - limited user control = no great coffee :(

O.K so I should get this one, the Lelit? mod edit- non sponsor link removed its good quality from what I can tell, it grinds the coffee, but I still have to tamp etc.

Probably a good compromise in your situation :)

The lelit has similar*internals to a Silvia (simple and solid), HOWEVER:
    The worm gear that drives the motor for the grinder is plastic, easily broken and hard to get hold of. *(I have done repairs on them)
    I reckon the sunbeam "arista"+ free grinders for around 500 is as good as it gets. I think their promo runs till fathers day. Best of luck.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 352A3325265F0 link=1251077272/43#43 date=1251445088
    I reckon the sunbeam "arista"+ free grinders for around 500 is as good as it gets
    ;D As good as any single thermoblock pressurised basket appliance made by a toaster manufacturer gets...Sorry, but no contest... :D

The Lelit (and associated brands) combines a boiler, real baskets and a satisfactory grinder and will produce real espresso rather than black stuff which merely looks like coffee. With a little care, it will also be around in 10 years and still be worth something. The sunbeam on the other hand will be long since recycled or land fill. The lelit will also teach you something whereas you will learn only that you wasted your dough with a sunbeam.

If an arista is as good as it gets, Ill stick to a mortar and pestle and a kettle thanks!

Dont be afraid of tamping. Its nearly impossible to do a worse job at tamping then a super auto.

If you are afraid of tamping get an Espro

so the lelit grinder is o.k?

Hey, I have nothing against the boiler internals, and it served me well. When the grinder died, I replaced the empty space with a boiler cannibalized from another machine, Voila! Double boiler machine (very hack job though)

Im just concerned about the reliability of the grinder. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

what is the espro?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast