Thread: what do you think about this combo Silvia + sunbeam 0480 for tight budget

what do you think about this combo Silvia + sunbeam 0480 for tight budget

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, please dont shoot me,

Just want to get an idea of what you think about this combo.
    My budget is about $800-900.

Id love the rocky, but budget at the moment just doesnt allow for it.

I have really considered the Lelit, sounds like a great machine, though, I love the silvia, and getting something separate would at least allow my to just upgrade the grinder to the rocky when budget allows, without the need to upgrade the machine.

In the $200 price bracket for grinder, will this be ok, or is the sunbeam that bad, that its not worth that at all.

I mainly drink milk based drinks.

Would appreciate any comments.
    thank you.

Re: what do you think about this combo Silvia + sunbeam 0480 for tight budget

Hi Joyo - I had a 0480 Grinder and it worked fine - whilst not the best grinder out there, if all you can afford is $200 at the moment and youre upgrading in the future anyway, then it will do the job quite adequately.

Its a little bit messy at times, but just be prepared to do a little bit of cleaning up after (ie; grinds on the bench top) if you grind directly into the group handle.

Cheers
    Di

you should be able to get the grinder for $160 or less with out much haggling.

i did.

If its just a temporary thing then its probbably a better option then getting a lelit. If you can stretch another hundred dollors then an Iberital challenge would be a great grinder for you. I used to use it with a silvia and it made great coffee. I upgraded more for usability reasons then the coffee it produced. So long as you dont want to switch between plunger-espresso decaf-caf then its fine.

thanks for those comments

$160 sounds like a great price for the sunbeam.

Thanks for bringing to my attention the Iberital challenge.
    Im not aware of the Iberital challenge, is that an inbetween the Sunbeam and Rocky?

yea somewhere in the middle, I would say they are closer to the sunbeam then rocky when it comes to build.

They use similar burrs to the sunbeam but have a better (whilst still plastic) burr carrier. They are also stepless so you can dial the grind in perfectly. They tend to hold a pretty good resale on here as well.

If its the best u can afford then its fantastic!! As u said while it may joy be up to the rocky standards it certainly isnt a poor grinder.

At the end of the day its whats in the cup that counts not whats on ur bench. Ive seen some brilliant machines make bad bad coffee in wrng hands, while cheap $100 units make a good cup in right hands!!

Enjoy the journey and get what u can afford!! ;)

I am using the combo of Sunbeam and Silvia. It works great for me!

The sunbeam will do the job until you are ready to upgrade and then when you do upgrade it will make a great decaf grinder.

My main gripe with the sunbeam is that the steps are sometimes too far apart for my needs. It definitely isnt a deal breaker but the Iberital challenge may be worth more consideration.

Also the SB 0450 contains the same guts as the 480 and is another cheaper option.

PS. Save enough money in your budget for a Synesso Basket and a decent tamper!