Thread: Dumb question

Dumb question

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I hAVE but one cup a day. Therefore it has to be (at a minimum) better than sex. For many years my technique has been a cafetiera on very slow heat (i.e. more steam, more flavour, less burn). I am about to graduate to a machine BUT from these pages I realise that I am entering a world of unfathomable technology and wizardry. I am a bit old school and so I favour manual machines. I am eternally grateful to anyone who can give me a Cooks Tour of the mid-range machines e.g. Rancilio vs. one group used commercial machines. Yours - Mark

Re: Dumb question

Welcome Stovetopman

I assume your name refers to your choice of coffee, not sex; but looking at your following com...no never mind, lets not go there.

Give us your location and we can direct you to someone, hopefully a sponsor, who will provide said tour.

A warning: when you start on the road to coffee nirvana it may turn out that your one a day may be revised upwards.

Hi - I am in Bisbane. The coffee is perfect if only colour and heat mattter. However, falvor seems to be an alien concept.

So you want more than a hot black coffee. Youve come to the right place.

Do you have a budget? I think a one group comercial is probably overkill for your needs. For lower volume requirement, I would go for the single boiler dual purpose machines: Rancilio Miss Silvia, VBM Piccolo (I think theres someone on the Gold Coast with one for sale at the moment), Isomac Zaffiro or the Diadema Perfetta which are all manual machines.

Quote Originally Posted by 7E74617676796D6B180 link=1251781732/1#1 date=1251782621
    Welcome Stovetopman

I assume your name refers to your choice of coffee, not sex; but looking at your following com...no never mind, lets not go there.

Give us your location and we can direct you to *someone, hopefully a sponsor, who will provide said tour.

A warning: when you start on the road to coffee nirvana it may turn out that your one a day may be revised upwards.
    Or youll learn to love sex more.

Search the sponsors and give them a call to chat. The above mentioned machines will with some lessons produce great coffee and be old school manual fun (which by the way most of us here most highly prefer)!!

Visit the boys at Venesiano in West End and chat over a brew. They all be great... NIce coffee too

Quote Originally Posted by 636F6A7B603F6F7B0E0 link=1251781732/2#2 date=1251783634
    Hi - I am in Bisbane. The coffee is perfect if only colour and heat mattter. However, flavor seems to be an alien concept.
    Oh-oh. Even a basic machine/grinder combo and a bit of practice will soon get you the flavour of great coffee and I predict your consumption will rise.

I used to have only one or two a day, cause while I liked the flavour, the smell of fresh ground coffee was addictive. Now my outfit produces a coffee beverage that rivals the smells!--and I have to limit myself so I can sleep at night.

Get to a sponsor, taste great coffee, buy what you can afford.

Im sure a sponsor will prepare you a coffee the way you like, but be careful if you use milk and/or sugar as youll probably want way less of each. I went from mugs of coffee with cream, to doppio ristrettos, and now have a bit of steamed milk and 1/2 the sugar, or even straight if I want a very short drink.

Greg

Im with u Greg when u have quality espresso it makes a huge difference on what u drink- I now only have 1/4 teaspoon of sugar in my coffees.

U get a taste for fine coffee and increasing amounts of it made right at home bu youself. It soon becomes as adictive drinking and trying to improve ur shots.

Enjoy it!!!

Thanks to all for the information thus far.

Just to respond to some of the open ended questions:

- I dont use sugar, just milk
    - I hate froth and any other razzamataz in my coffee
    - I used to be a 6 cups-a-day man but cut back in the interests of living longer
    - Im married so sex is out of the question

Thanks especially to advice from Flynn_Aus. I will probably go with a modest single boiler machine and Ill start doing some research on the examples you have provided. Im not out to develop a new obsession (I have plenty already) so I will be happy to achieve a moderate to good brew.

Quote Originally Posted by 45494C5D4619495D280 link=1251781732/8#8 date=1252816062

Thanks especially to advice from Flynn_Aus

I used to be a 6 cups-a-day man but cut back in the interests of living longer
    Youre welcome, but ask yourself whether you want to buy a machine that meets your current needs or one that could meet demand if your needs increase

Im not sure whether those who dont drink much coffee live longer; perhaps it just feels longer :-/ ;)