Thread: EM6910 new group seal and still leaking

EM6910 new group seal and still leaking

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, *

About a week ago I removed my shower screen and filter to clean in behind. *The group seal just dropped out with them - I thought, oh well lets clean that too.

When I looked inside underneath where the seal sits, the black coating was all flaking off and half was stuck to the top side of the seal.

Anyhow - I cleaned as much as I could, and after I put it all carefully back in place it started to leak a little from the back of the basket when pouring or back flushing. Doh - it didnt do that before I took it apart!

So I thought - new seal time, ordered a new seal, and installed it today. No different - still leaks same spot.......

I figure my collar must be worn, since even with the new seal it still doesnt lock until about 4 oclock.

I also wonder if the flaking black coating has any part to play here.

I saw mentioned that there is some sort of spacer I could try - do you think that would help?

Re: EM6910 new group seal and still leaking

Hi PCF

I dont think the Group Seal was such a bad idea if it just fell out.

Before you go down the route of a new Collar, when you replaced the seal, did you take all the shower screen off again?

When I did a SSRC (Shower Screen Removal Clean) once on my 6910, it developed a leak after Id put it all back together again and I had the same concern. Just let it ride for a while and, when I did my next SSRC, the leak stopped after Id put it all back together the next time. I worked out that I just hadnt seated the shower screens back together correctly, which caused the leak.

So, my advice is to take it all apart again and fit it back together and that may fix your problem.

Re the black coasting stuff flaking off, its not of particular concern - I was reassured either AM or TG after I did my first SSR that its just a cosmetic coating and nothing to worry about particularly.

Cheers
    Di

Thanks Di - I just repeated the process and still the same :(

Also, I just re-checked the handle lock position and its probably closer to 5 oclock than 4.

When running the cleaning cycle I can here the seal break just before it spews water over the back of the group...

Five oclock is pretty normal, I think, after the inital wearing in period so thats a good thing at least.

I might pass over on to one of the experts now, who might have a better suggestion with it...

Good luck with it!

Cheers
    Di

Cheers Di!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4D6A7C6E76050 link=1251843438/3#3 date=1251852335
    Five oclock is pretty normal, I think, after the inital wearing in period so thats a good thing at least.

I might pass over on to one of the experts now, who might have a better suggestion with it...

Good luck with it!

Cheers
    Di
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by 756663343C323D050 link=1251843438/2#2 date=1251850986
    Thanks Di - I just repeated the process and still the same :(

Also, I just re-checked the handle lock position and its probably closer to 5 oclock than 4.

When running the cleaning cycle I can here the seal break just before it spews water over the back of the group...
    1: Could be the collar... but I would go for the thin spacer first..

2: If the collar has become that bad... You can feel and see the lip...

Look here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1250206406/5#5

Do a search on this CS member and you will see some interesting posts and pics and also become more aware of what can go wrong..

Thanks AM - will make up a spacer out of some thin cardboard and see. If this helps - I will try Sunbeam on for a silicon one. I found previous post re: 58 ID and OD of 70.

Thanks heaps guys - handle locks at about 5.40 now and NO MORE LEAKS! ;)

I just used some thin cardboard to make a spacer - not sure how long that will last. Going to try and track down a couple of silicon spacers and may even get a new collar - but for now this will do.

For others who want to make there own spacer Ive attached a Photoshop file with a template to trace. Just needs to be printed to 100% scale using Photoshop.

Im happy again - thanks guys!! :D