Thread: Gaggia Problems

Gaggia Problems

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello. Lately I realized the machine pump sound changed and soon after that I been having some issues with my coffee, I can not pull a shot with my old pre problem grind settings because the machine chokes.

Another thing happening is that when I put the machine in steam mode a lot of steam flows out the screen (and that didnt happened before) Any ideas what is going wrong?

Thank you! really appreciate the feedback since im in Argentina and getting a new machine is definetly not a choice. Plus im really liking my gaggia,

Joe

A_M

Re: Gaggia Problems

Quote Originally Posted by 122B2B732B2B440 link=1251994366/0#0 date=1251994366
    Hello. Lately I realized the machine pump sound changed and soon after that I been having some issues with my coffee, I can not pull a shot with my old pre problem grind settings because the machine chokes.

Another thing happening is that when I put the machine in steam mode a lot of steam flows out the screen (and that didnt happened before) Any ideas what is going wrong?

Thank you! really appreciate the feedback since im in Argentina and getting a new machine is definetly not a choice. Plus im really liking my gaggia,

Joe
    Sounds like a solenoid has become stuck... *Dont have a plumbing diag at hand, but am sure that other CSs who have had lots of experience with these units... Will drop in with something to try..

So what is Argentina like for coffee ? *

PS... Found this for ya.

What is likely the problem is a leaking check valve which is on the "other side" of the dispersion screen and is evidenced by a steam leak through the dispersion screen.

The dispersion screen screw threads into the check valve body. Does this agree with the pdf you have of the machine? You might try flushing some descaling solution through the machine and that, by itself MAY cure the leak. If not, then keep in mind that this little valve body is sometimes difficult to remove and requires a large stubby screwdriver probably with the blade fattened a little to give a nice tight fit in the brass body of this check valve.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I tried descaling the machine without any success. But well... It was worth trying and I bought It used so I was going to descale it sooner or later.

Im going to try to see if is the check valve, cause the solenoid appears to be working correctly, at least I can backflush the machine without any problems and I can see the water coming out the solenoid tube

About your question of argentinian coffee, I think we are really similar to Italians (different from american coffee) cause you dont see big cups of coffee you never have american ( I mean to put water extra in the cup) So in a sense its strong. The problem is that people dont really care about it too much, and by that i mean the consumers as well as the barista... I think its kinda bad circle. Well actually I dont think we have the barista proffession here... I never saw latte art and the ones who make the coffee... is anyone :p. They dont even use tampers... they probably dont know what a tamper is.

Anyway there was one place where I could sometime ( If the right person was present) I had a really good coffee... but unfortunatelly is closed. Im not saying you cant have good coffee here you just have to be picky, I send back lots of coffees before they got it right.

Ahh one more thing.. Starbucks is really new in Argentina... I think it must be around 2 or 3 yyears old but is growing fast. This is kinda our first taste of huge take away coffee cups.

Im going to see if i can open the machine now.... cya!

Joe

Update: Everything appears like new. But im still having the problem. In case the solenoid valve isnt working correctly is there anyway to confirm it?

Thanks!

joe

I am having similar issues with my Gaggia Carezza. I am watching this now...

Took mine apart but the disperser and ... the next bit were too hard to separate... so that might be something to do with it???

Scandanavians seem to like their coffee fairly strong and bitter as well.