Thread: Tips on replacing seal in EM6900? I must be missing something!

Tips on replacing seal in EM6900? I must be missing something!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I have a new seal for my sunbeam em6900 (the blue seal) and was told that it was really easy to replace the seal - "just undo one screw and take it out". Last time this got replaced sunbeam did it for free (just outside warranty too), but the machines far out of warranty now.

So I undid the one screw, took out the first shower screen and theres the blue seal... but I cannot get a grip on it well enough to actually pull it out. The only bit I can get to is the thin lip of the seal, which is not strong enough to yank the rest out.

Am I supposed to undo the bolt on the second screen as well? Or should the second screen drop out easily, or something? So far all Ive managed to do is rip little bits of blue rubber out of the old seal :-[

From all the references to replacing the seal, surely it must be easy enough to do - so I suspect Im just missing something here. Im just not game to start yanking on more bits of the group head, or start undoing more bits of it if I can avoid doing so.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I havent been able to find any specific descriptions of the process beyond "replaced the seal" ;)

cheers,

h

Re: Tips on replacing seal in EM6900? I must be missing something!

I have the 6910 which has the first shower screen and a second dispersing screen behind which usually just comes out with the first one. After this is removed the seal should be able to be removed without unscrewing anything else.
    It probably has just got some coffee residue acting as a glue and sticking it up in the head. I sometimes just use a small scewdriver to loosen the edges and out it comes.
    If your going to replace it I wouldnt worry about being too careful with it.

try turning the machine on and let it heat up. Maybe run some water through also. With everything hot and wet (I had a laugh) ::) it might be easier to remove. There are two screens that should remove..

PM me your email address and Ill send the instructions Sunbeam sent me for my first 6910 seal change.

Tried heating up the machine but unfortunately it didnt help. It does look like the second screen is bolted on; I guess Ill have to have to undo the bolt as well to get that second screen off.

i have a 6900 and have replaced the seal and i dont understand when you say that there is a 2nd bolt hoolding in the 2nd shower screen, its only held in with the first screens screw, unless they had different designs in the 6900 models ?? IMHO take 1st screw out, remove shower screen, take small screw driver and prise out seal, 2nd shower screen should pop out as well, then in reverse order replace seal and then 2nd shower screen, then first and finally screw it all firmly back into place

hope it works for you just take ur time, coffee will come pour again

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 414C5B4C5D404A290 link=1252591010/4#4 date=1252686249
    Tried heating up the machine but unfortunately it didnt help. It does look like the second screen is bolted on; I guess Ill have to have to undo the bolt as well to get that second screen off.

The bolt is for the head and a special one way valve, if I am understanding the brief flow of info..

If ya seal is stuffed... Then just get it out... and when you put the new one in, make sure you coat it in a thin film of a food grade grease or oil.. I use a smear of cooking Rice Bran oil as it has high temp properties...

take the water tank out along with any other loose bits and then flip the machine upside down so its easier to work on and see whats happening.

Thanks for the tips, everyone - Im actually away for a few days so I will have to wait until Im back to give the new ones a go. Ill report back then :)

Quote Originally Posted by 6F7A6A77797C707D797C180 link=1252591010/5#5 date=1252709506
    i have a 6900 and have replaced the seal and i dont understand when you say that there is a 2nd bolt hoolding in the 2nd shower screen, its only held in with the first screens screw, unless they had different designs in the 6900 models ??
    Ive dug out the instructions Sunbeam sent me and they do show the bolt holding the 2nd screen.

Ive emailed a copy to heretic.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4D716C777D7C6B7E767D190 link=1252591010/9#9 date=1252735162
    Quote Originally Posted by 6F7A6A77797C707D797C180 link=1252591010/5#5 date=1252709506
    i have a 6900 and have replaced the seal and i dont understand when you say that there is a 2nd bolt hoolding in the 2nd shower screen, its only held in with the first screens screw, unless they had different designs in the 6900 models ??
    Ive dug out the instructions Sunbeam sent me and they do show the bolt holding the 2nd screen.

Ive emailed a copy to heretic.
    Bugger me... Ya always learning something:-)

Right, so, umm... heh.

The instructions were great, and I went and got myself the right sized socket wrench before going near the bolt... but when I tried to remove the bolt the little sucker sheared right off! I think it was gummed up pretty badly, Im certainly not the "doesnt know their own strength" type ;)

On the plus side, yes when the bolts off the second screen and old seal drop right out. If the bolt had come out it would have been a really simple task to replace the seal.

I guess I should have replaced the seal much sooner and/or flushed the machine a little more frequently - less oil buildup and maybe the bolt would have turned more easily. Or maybe I was just unlucky.

In any case, the machine will have to sit quietly until pay day comes around and I can take it in to Sunbeam for help. Then well see how badly Ive broken it :-[ Im sure itll seem funny tomorrow ;)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 363B2C3B2A373D5E0 link=1252591010/11#11 date=1253796283
    Right, so, umm... heh.

The instructions were great, and I went and got myself the right sized socket wrench before going near the bolt... but when I tried to remove the bolt the little sucker sheared right off! I think it was gummed up pretty badly, Im certainly not the "doesnt know their own strength" type ;)

On the plus side, yes when the bolts off the second screen and old seal drop right out. If the bolt had come out it would have been a really simple task to replace the seal.

I guess I should have replaced the seal much sooner and/or flushed the machine a little more frequently - less oil buildup and maybe the bolt would have turned more easily. Or maybe I was just unlucky.

In any case, the machine will have to sit quietly until pay day comes around and I can take it in to Sunbeam for help. Then well see how badly Ive broken it :-[ Im sure itll seem funny tomorrow ;)
    So where are you located ?

There may be a CSs in ya area you can drill it out....

AM

Im in Sydney (metro)... Ill probably still need to hit up sunbeam though as itll need a replacement bolt (assuming the broken one can be drilled out/removed).

The nearest authorised repairer I know of is in Ashfield.

Ring Sunbeam to double check as they are few and far between.

Yep, Ashfields the closest one that actually does coffee machines - and theyre only open during the week! Frustrating.

Email sent.

Thanks TG - great service ;D

Cheers,

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3215131419600 link=1252591010/17#17 date=1255399725
    Thanks TG - great service *;D

Cheers,
    TG is Quality and has excellent Document Control.... Date and time stamped with a review date ;D

Now to see a screen shot of his Dir structure ;D

Well done again TG..

Only one problem - and thats me :-[

I had a senior moment, or as I now like to call them - a Mature Overload ;)

I dont have the 6900 :o

Sorry TG, but your service was still great :D

Cheers,

Rusty thats what Sunbeam sent me for the 6910.
    They may have an updated set of instructions by now but at the time they assured me they were all they had.

Ive now got the 6910 instructions from SB and they are different ::)

No need to remove the bolt - the second screen comes out with the first.

See attached PDF

Cheers :)

Thanks for that Rusty.

One good turn deserves another *;)

I know the following suggestion is closing the gate after the horse has bolted, but it might be handy for next time or for someone else...

I cant find the link now, but I saw pics once of someone removing a group head seal by screwing two screws part way (not beyond the thickness of the seal) into the seal, one on either side. This gives you two handles to pull, twist and manouvre the seal out of the group head.

Quote Originally Posted by 4E5B534B0A0E0C043C0 link=1252591010/24#24 date=1256788866
    I cant find the link now
    This one? Found in the Silvia technicians manual thread. (Last pic in that series - bottom of page)

No, thats not it, but thats just as good! Same technique being used. :)
    Im going to try it myself tomorrow (if need be), as Ive just bought a new blue group head seal for my em6910. :P

DONT USE

hi
    the seal on the sunbeam comes out very easy, when all parts are removed

the early 6900 seal is held in by the top shower, which is held in by the coffee valve nut, which is also the holder for the lower shower screw.
    so
    you need to remove shower screw an lower shower
    undo coffee valve nut
    remove top shower and seal

remember when removing coffee valve nut to
    undo in correct direction(anti clockwise) if machine is upside down)
    but if working with machine sitting normally on the bench, then you need to undo clockwise
    otherwise you will snap the valve

if you do snap this valve, you usually find it is not tight, and can be removed using long nose pliers
    if tight needs the use of an easy out or left handed threaded screw

Brass Coffee valves are available as a replacement part from sunbeam coffee service agents

with the Em6910 you only have to undo the shower screw, remove shower and pull out with fingers or long nose pliers

if you have to resort to using screws, screwed into the seal then something is wrong, STOP and look

graham

OK, its been a long time between posts (long, irrelevant story) but today I finally got a chance to take the machine in to get it checked out.

I rocked up and they immediately said "no worries, youre not the first to break an em6900 and you certainly wont be the last!" and they set about pulling out the broken bolt. Theyd done it a stack of times and expected to be able to fix it while I waited.

Fast foward about an hour of concerted effort... and they finally had to admit defeat. My machine was apparently the first 6900 where theyve ever been unable to remove the bolt - it wouldnt budge, nor could they crack it to get it out. Their workbench is in plain sight of the counter and I am in no doubt whatsoever that if that bolt was coming out, theyd have got it out.

So the options became 1) take it home and keep trying, or 2) replace the entire thermoblock at a cost of $400.

Neither option really appealed, especially as the machines at least four years old and really doesnt owe us anything (amazing how quickly these things pay for themselves compared with buying coffee at $3-4 a pop).

So we came up with a better option: they took the old machine as a trade in on a shiny new em6910 :)

...and I think in future Ill leave it to them to fit new seals ;)

Fellow consumers

I have just replaced the head (leaky) seal on my 1.5yo EM6910 and the new one leaks as bad, if not worse. Should I have used an adhesive on the seal before fitting it?., or is simply wear on the collar that I have been reading about, and I have abattle on my hand with Sunbeam?

The old seal did not look too bad at all. certainly not split There is some wear on the collar.

I would be grateful of your help

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7A757F627674697C1B0 link=1252591010/29#29 date=1258505527
    Fellow consumers

I have just replaced the head (leaky) seal on my 1.5yo EM6910 and the new one leaks as bad, if not worse. *Should I have used an adhesive on the seal before fitting it?., or is simply wear on the collar that I have been reading about, and I have abattle on my hand with Sunbeam?

The old seal did not look too bad at all. *certainly not split * There is some wear on the collar.

I would be grateful of your help
    A spacer may help... *But from my experience, I would suggest that the collar is the main issue..

While many blame the machine... *I am of the firm belief that Good maintenance *and correct usage - Grind, *Dose levels and Tamp will see about 3 years plus... before major work required. *However as seen by the posts here and the state of the equipment that I have seen in the repair shops.. * The machines do have an issue with mismanagement and will fail in any number of ways.

I would suggest that many would have the same issue with top of the range systems.. *As to the cheepies.. Same issues all teh time, but people just dump and buy another... At $500 plus.. They tend to return and complain..

1: You imply this is the first seal... Oops at least every 6 to 9 months is what I have found and recommend..

2: I am also going to assume that you do not Backflush every 6 - 8 weeks with a true cleaning product and that you have never done a full de scale and or changed the Anit calk filter.. * *:o

If you have then Great... If not, your not alone...

Where are you located... As some SB service agents are better than others and only some are Authorised..

NOTE: At 1.5 years.. Doubt you will get any thing from SB And if your have not been maintaining as per the manual etc... And or the collar damage suggests issues as to usage etc.. *Then I expect they may well push the point and YOU have nothing to stand on...

PS. Collar change is not overly $$$ but does depend on the agent.. The part is about $58